StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I,m new to this forum and new to the world of v-stroms. I recently purchased a used 2010 wee. The Suzuki dealer told me not to use shell fuel at all as it will foul the plugs. Has anybody suffered from this. I have been using caltex 98 octane around town for my commuting but I figure on long outback trips shell fuel might be the only option.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'd steer clear of E10, but other than that you don't need to use high octane stuff. The Stroms only require 91RON petrol, nothing special.
I'd heard there was some bad batches of Shell in the market but others have reported running fine on more recent fills, so ymmv. I use Caltex/Woolies 95RON most of the time and fancier stuff only if it's a choice between that and E10.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have used Caltex E10 95 RON in my 2010 glee with no problems at all.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
One tank won't make your engine explode, nobody is claiming that. It's a hell of a lot better than pushing the bike home. Even Suzuki say E10 is not recommended, however.

Can my vehicle operate on Ethanol blend petrol? : FCAI

Suzuki motorcycles and ATVs are listed as "not suitable" for all models for both E5 and E10.

It's your bike and your money so do as you please.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The Strom is tuned for 91 Ron there is no need for higher rated fuels and you really are wasting your $'s. Engines in higher state of tune need the 95and98.
Just some side info. At this point in time approx 80pc of fuel into NSW is imported from either the massive refineries in Malaysia or Singapore. Caltex refinery at Kurnell shuts down mid 2014 then all fuel will be imported into NSW. The Ethanol in fuel is only Methylated Spirit (without the added stink) which burns cooler therefor less MPG. Ethanol is alcohol (the drinking type) which effects some rubbers and plastics in older vehicles.

Good health safe travel
Saturn 5

·
Registered
362 Posts
plain 91 is getting harder to get in this town -- with now both of the Coles/Shell only having the ethanol blend as their 91.
The bike shop I bought my L2 from warned me away from the 98 Shell -- saying that it has additives that have caused some problems in some bikes.
BP and United and one other here still have the unblended 91 -- other than that I use 95 -- which in all places here is still just petrol -- not blended.

·
Registered
48 Posts
One tank won't make your engine explode, nobody is claiming that. It's a hell of a lot better than pushing the bike home. Even Suzuki say E10 is not recommended, however.

Can my vehicle operate on Ethanol blend petrol? : FCAI

Suzuki motorcycles and ATVs are listed as "not suitable" for all models for both E5 and E10.

It's your bike and your money so do as you please.
You may want to re read that table. At least on one point you are actually correct. It won't make my bike explode. In fact, it won't hurt at all. And yes, it is my bike and my money and yes, I shall do as I please. Have a nice day.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Also, E10 is acceptable to Suzuki in the USA. Maybe this thread would be better in the Australia forum as things look to be different there.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I can read it too, but I don't see why this document matters. The owner's manual Suzuki provided with the bike endorses up to 10% ethanol. I always go with the manufacturer's recommendations. No one knows your bike better than the engineers who designed it.

Having said that I'll buy ethanol free whenever it's convenient and for stability reasons going into winter when the bike sits idle longer. But I don't lose any sleep over burning 10% ethanol. Enjoy your bike. It's just not that fragile.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The 'rumour' about Shell might have roots, as a few years ago it was known to cause fouling of the fuel sending units in certain cars.... Shell had to alter their formulation. That was in Canada. Formulations likely have changed elsewhere too if Shell had that particular issue in your neck of the woods.... I would think these days any Top Tier fuel is OK, tempered by my dislike for ethanol fuels which are hard to escape these days. Although I haven't found it yet, Shell (and alledgedly Esso) have 91 octane without ethanol (here).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good reading on ethanol blends.

There is a lot of controversy about ethanol blends. I found an article that demystifies the situation pretty well. When I know I will burn the whole tank fairly quickly, I don't hesitate to use ethanol blends, but the Wee has such long legs that when I use it only for short trips, my gasoline has plenty of time to suck in water, so I'll use premium.

Here is the reference:

http://www.echo-usa.com/Warranty/Learn-About-Ethanol/Ethanol-Fuel-062512

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well thanks everyone for your input. It sound reasonably safe to use most fuels in a pinch. :thumbup:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well, my bike drinks E10 as it is next to impossible to get anything without "May contain 10% Ethanol" on the pump. I sure don't want to spend an extra 2 bucks a fill to use Premium which may not contain 10% ethanol. I am pretty sure that all Suzuki products here including the Arctic Cat quads and sleds (have Suzuki engines) can use E10.:beatnik:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Quite a few years ago here in OZ it was recommended that motorcycles not use Shell Premium Fuel as it was thicker and the bike would run lean but this should only be a problem for bikes with carburettors, so the recommendation may not apply ?:confused:

Doing a plug chop is still the best way to know how your motor is running, so choose a fuel and have a look.

I run 98 or 95 in everything I own, I had a Holden VL with 475000ks, a VR with 365000ks and a second VR with 275000ks, all motors ran cooler with the premium fuel.

I get more K's to the litre and all still had the original injectors and fuel filters in them when they were sold.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts