StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new 2015 VSTROM XT owner here.

The used bike I just bought came with a Suzuki plastic handguard kit.
When I was torquing the left pivot bolt to spec it sheered in half.
The parts dealer in my area says that these bolts can't be singly sourced and I would have to buy a whole new kit.. I'd rather just buy some barkbusters.. but they seem to be sold out everywhere in the U.S. for the foreseeable future.
Does anyone have a spare left pivot bolt from the Suzuki handguard kit that is of no use to them anymore?
Figure someone may have destroyed theirs otherwise but still has a good bolt.
I would pay shipping and bolt fee of course.

Thanks!

IMG_7482.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I'd soak the half that still has the nut on it in some automatic transmission fluid. If you can get that off then you just need a generic stud.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I think its all one piece. Maybe just get a piece of all thread rod. Cut it to length and use a nut. Make the smoot part for a nylon spacer and JB weld it onto the stud?

Or have a local weld shop weld the broken end back on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct, usually it's all one piece and since it holds the clutch lever on, my thought was that it would need to stay one piece to be safe. It just extends the left pivot bolt so that a nut can go on top of it and hold down the handguards.

It's a tight fit through the hole for the clutch pivot bolt so not sure if a thread rod would work.

I'll try a local weld shop, too.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
If the all-thread (rod) is not an option, maybe source a long bolt in that diameter (Metric) and cut the head off...……???

EDIT: looks like the Texan is your Huckleberry.....!!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
A simple option would be to flatten the top of hex...then drill & tap a 5mm hole jus deep enuff to hold a 5mm screw (windshield size) the screw would be slightly smaller dia than orig stud...but it only holds handguard in place.

It would end up like the other bolt shown in my pic (DL1000 clutch or brake?650brake?)

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thats the bolt you need...Im almost +
Suzy did make a change in the 650 clutch levers sometime around 07 I think...
The shank on the bolt is ever so slightly longer or shorter...I think
20200617_085307.jpg

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts