StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'll make this as short as possible, and I really don't want to hear "You are the man, and should be in charge of your house comments (PLEASE)". I've been riding my bike for a couple of months on base (jacksonville, fl) to get comfortable with the bike and the hectic driving habits of cagers, I am now going to bring it home. For reasons unknown to me, she who must be obeyed (my wife) has decided that the cheap 650 dollar Murray riding lawn mower, has more value than my brand new 2014 Vstrom 650 adventure. Therefore, in her infinite wisdom, she has deemed the bike not worthy of being in the garage. Since purchasing the bike alone created a ruckus (not the honda type), I just want to bring my bike home.
Since it was here, that I came to get the advice to buy the greatest bike known to mankind, I decided that perhaps you could offer storage advice. I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with the folding tent type of storage solutions. I need to keep the bike in my backyard. I stay in a safe community and have no fears of theft. My chief concerns are sun and rain. Thanks for your input in this "delicate" situation.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've had to store my bikes outside under large water proof covers. The key is having a floor, those tent things work but they are not durable like a small shed. I rather just put one under a car port and then cover it too before buying those tent contraptions. I personally don't have garage space for a bike, so I leave my bike in an enclosed 12' Haulmark trailer. Before that I parked on gravel and just used a cover. You could find a cheap used enclosed trailer if you can park one at home and they can be used for other hauling too.

At the very least, get a good cover. If you have to park on dirt, its a good idea to stake out a tarp, roll the bike on it, put a nice thick heavy duty water resistant vented storage cove over the top. A good cover on ebay is around $60 shipped, get something to serve as a ground cloth if needed. Wet ground really gets splashy and makes a mess sometimes. So, I park a tarp under the bike when I have to leave it on grass for long periods. Keeps it much cleaner..

·
Registered
835 Posts
I would say get a cover for the riding lawnmower & keep the Strom inside.....?
That's what I would do. Seems like a good compromise to me.

Maybe tell her if the bike ever had to be sold it'd be much more valuable with the "garage kept" element to it?*

*Not that you'll EVER sell it of course!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Tell her the mower is worth WAY more than your grubby old motorbike and deserves to be cared for properly, then park it in the living room. Then there's room for your Strom in the garage. Fixed.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Just be sure to spend an ungodly amount of money on the outdoor cover "accommodating the plan". Point out that there are indoor covers and outdoor covers and the difference is critical. It's a safety issue as well -we can't have the footpegs getting slippery with frost or ice. I'm going to say - just so you can say you read it on the internet - that also, a lean-to is an essential requirement and that no person has yet stored their bike under just a simple cover without one, and lived*. Brake lines freeze, then crack and leak. Yeah. Nobody wants that, now do they?

Bigod, nothing less than a tent with a small portable heater/AC unit will do, if she loves you at all and cares for your well-being. It deserves to be a major project, just goes without saying.

* technically true since we all go sometime anyway.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I'm thinking....Lowes tool shed....you know the type that looks like it was made by Rubbermaid. Put the mower in it.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm thinking....Lowes tool shed....you know the type that looks like it was made by Rubbermaid. Put the mower in it.
There you go! Every back yard needs a shed for the mower and you can put all your lawn care stuff in there!
Now you have room in your garage for another motorcycle! :thumbup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had to store my bikes outside under large water proof covers. The key is having a floor, those tent things work but they are not durable like a small shed. I rather just put one under a car port and then cover it too before buying those tent contraptions. I personally don't have garage space for a bike, so I leave my bike in an enclosed 12' Haulmark trailer. Before that I parked on gravel and just used a cover. You could find a cheap used enclosed trailer if you can park one at home and they can be used for other hauling too.

At the very least, get a good cover. If you have to park on dirt, its a good idea to stake out a tarp, roll the bike on it, put a nice thick heavy duty water resistant vented storage cove over the top. A good cover on ebay is around $60 shipped, get something to serve as a ground cloth if needed. Wet ground really gets splashy and makes a mess sometimes. So, I park a tarp under the bike when I have to leave it on grass for long periods. Keeps it much cleaner..
Hey, what do you mean when you say cover? Are you talking about putting a rubberized mat over a tarp? That sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I have thought of this option several times. After all, eventually I do want a second motorcycle. I could even put running water and A/C in it.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
The first time you bring the bike home get flowers, chocolates and a nice bottle of wine for the wife, if you can arrange for them to be delivered even better.

Give her something that she can brag to her mates about.

Your bride is jealous and wants you to prove your love for her.

The flowers and chocolate will help and by the time she has finished the wine she will love your strom more than she loves you.

The mower will be in the yard and the bike will be in its place.

A single rose now and then will seal the deal.

Remember, happy wife happy life and they can be played like a fiddle.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
learning to live with them

Women are funny things you should learn to live with.

You can do as most of my mates have and stand your ground, be the man of the house, it is my way or the highway, it will work to a certain degree but life with her will never be true bliss, you will bang heads over things like bikes, you may win but then she wil withhold other things that make your life easy and fun.

Or you can convince her she is the most important thing in your life, once you achieve this your life will change for the better, part of her happiness will come from making you happy, often they want you to prove your love for them that is why they will say no to things, it is a test, they say no and you don't do it you love they, if they say no and you do it anyway, you don't love them enough, this makes for a unhappy wife and a unhappy life.

It could take sometime to convince them they are number one in your life but once you have sit back and be prepared to be spoilt, I'm sure my bride would love a new kitchen but instead she paid for 50% of the cost of my new MT09, I get up at 4.30am for day shift, she gets up at 4.20am to make my coffee and pack my bag, the best part is she wants to and that is because she is the most important thing in my life :green_lol:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts