Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Well we are ready to roll away on Saturday morning down to SA :grin2:
This is a RELAXATION TRIP with the biggest day being around 500km's.

Going to take the opportunity to look at things we have only ever ridden past before as not having the time to stop.

Accommodation for the trip will be pubs and we think we have found some crackers and will give feedback on the forum.

Will be visiting Quorn to gather information and start organizing plans for the Gathering.

As the title suggests our main goal for this trip is to swim with the Great White Sharks at Port Lincoln :surprise:

We will try and do regular updates for those who want to follow or are interested.

Spot: https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=1s2B2W5EDzm0m8G02pucD26XvRJboW9z4
Password: Ang&Hugh

so till then..........stay tuned

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
The wife's friends told her the best vacation the ever took in the motor home, they don't motorcycle, was when the didn't have a destination and took the time to stop at all the places they passed before rushing to a distant location.
Another mom/daughter team stayed at pubs and such in the UK on a self guided tour. Had a great time.
In the US we have a few non chain motel accommodations like the Hostel system. Other than pricey upscale B&B's, we lack the Pub style places. Dang shame.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Ang and Hugh, have a great trip. Dont pat the wildlife. Keep away from the Zambucca. Ride safe and have a ton of fun.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all
Day 1 was a uneventful ride from Brisbane to Pilliga.
We were accompanied by Razor as far as Narrabri, Cheers Razor :wink2:

We spent the night at the Pilliga Hotel and enjoyed a dip in the thermal pool at the days end :smile2:

Day 2 Pilliga to Cobar
Saw us passing through Gulargumbone were we found these unusual corrogated iron artworks Gallah's and you can see the Wurrambugals in the distance.

A brief stop in Nyngan home of the Bogan Festival and the Bogan River seen in background (not a mullet in sight) :wink2:

From there onto Cobar for the night at the Great Western Hotel stopped at the open cut mine and then got the obligatory Cobar sign photo. :grin2:

more to come so.....stay tuned

Cheers GotaV2 and V2man

·
Registered
868 Posts
The Historical Museum at Cobar is 1 of the best I have ever seen. It has the old train carriages they used for a hospital and dentist that travel up from Sydney stopping at the towns along the way. Plus all the other usual stuff.

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all
Day 3 Cobar to Olary

Fairly uneventful day started with a cool 6C and got to a top of 16C with a horrible bloody wind all day, made the going hard. :furious:

Saw a bit of wildlife some goats, roo's and emu's or bushchooks

The goats and roo's were generally staying away from the road however the same can't be said for the old bushchook which are as thick as 2 short planks and had to run out in front of me even though they were safely tucked away on the side of the road. :confused:

Tripped over it's own 2 big feet

Recovered and ran off minus a few feathers

Crossing into SA for the first time on these bikes

Then onto Olary for the night

That's it for today so......stay tuned

Cheers GotaV2 and V2man

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all
Day 4 Olary to Quorn

Bloody cold today even though the average was 9C it felt so much colder and light showers for the last couple of hours.

The things you come across out in the middle of nowhere... clothsline, cloths and basket :confused:

We stopped for some breckie in Peterborough at the Take a Break Cafe we stopped there last year on our other trip.

In Orroroo we came across this funky horse art work

Short day but that's given us a chance to get some information gathering in for next years gathering :grin2: and it was bloody cold and we were like popsickles on bikes :wink2:

Apparently there is a Google alert out from the local councils to businesses that there is a group called Stromtroopers planning on descending on the area sometime in 2016, it was issued some months ago :confused: :surprise: :wink2:

So till next time.....stay tuned

Cheers GotaV2 and V2man

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all
Day 5 Quorn

Went for a ride round the area with Peter (the mayor) it was a miserable day raining and blowing a gale.
Stopped for lunch at a bakery in Jamestown.
The ride we did would make a good day ride for people looking for a blacktop ride attending the gathering as it has a good mix of twisties and straights and some good scenery.

That's it for today so till next time .....stay tuned

Cheers GotaV2 and V2man

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi all
Day 6-7 Quorn to Port Lincoln

Woke up to find the weather had closed in constant rain and bloody wind.
The ride down to Port Lincoln was uneventful didn't stop to look at much due to the weather.

Went out for the Great White Shark cage dive but someone forgot to tell the sharks as none turned up BIG BUMMER :frown2:

the cage

From the boat on the way out

In the cage but no sharks

Makybe Diva statue in Port Lincoln

Till next time.....stay tuned

Cheers GotaV2 and V2man

·
Registered
468 Posts
Glad to hear the ride is going well (other than a bit of bad weather, but you should be getting used to it by now:grin2:)

Too bad about the sharks not turning up, they must have known you were coming all the way from Queensland.

The goats and roo's were generally staying away from the road however the same can't be said for the old bushchook which are as thick as 2 short planks and had to run out in front of me even though they were safely tucked away on the side of the road. :confused:

Cheers GotaV2 and V2man
The old Emu isn't too bright, you only have to look at the size of his head compared to the rest of his body. Not much room there for grey matter.

Enjoy the rest of the ride, today was a beautiful fine day to be out on the bike on this side of the country.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
I've seen any number of "road hazards" alive and dead while riding the Tablelands up by Cairns but gotta say a clumsy foot emu is a first.
Good catch on the camera

Man they are ugly birds,
This one was stalking me I swear ....
...I'd get it in focus and it would step closer....:confused:

Good report

I got skunked on my one attempt to great white cage dive in S Africa.
Woke up the morning of the dive to 5 meter waves... :frown2:

At least there was no cost to me and I got a sleep in. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
You could have stayed home and come to around Ballina where there have been three people attacked by Great Whites in the last month or so. But they didn't have a cage to protect them. The last person is still in a serious condition at the Gold Coast hospital. Mick Fanning who had his run-in with one in South Africa recently. Donated the $75,000 from his television appearance on sixty minutes to this man to help him and his family out. Mick is a legend. Thanks for the r/r.

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all
Day 8-9 Port Lincoln - Whyalla

Traveled back to Whyalla and spent the weekend with some of V2man's family.

On the way back we called into some of the small holiday villages like this one Arno Bay

The obligatory photo with HMAS Whyalla

That's it for now so till then....stay tuned

Cheers GotaV2 and V2man

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all
Day 10 Whyalla - Nurioopta

Left Whyalla to travel to the Barossa Valley on the way down we called into Port Germein where the longest jetty in the southern hemisphere used to stand.

In our endeavors to explore new areas and to bring you all photo's from the far reaches of this wonderful land we know no bounds as to how far we will travel

Hopefully when we reach worlds end it doesn't............

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The edge.

Really enjoyed reading your RR. Thanks. If you find the end of the world look over the edge and get a photo.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Great rr and pics, love the dolphin in full flight and the Worlds End shot :smile2:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Day 10 Cont'd....

Well we went straight past World's End without even realising it, not even a sign. The scenery changed after to green

and Gold

Which then changed yet again into the Clare Valley wine district, looks bare now but give it a few months and it will be green as.

Cheers V2man & GotaV2

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Day 11 Exploring the Barossa Valley and surrounds.

First stop of the day

The Big Rocking Horse

In a park in Nurioopta, made in Maryborough Queensland in 1971

Cheers V2man & GotaV2

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
A bit more from day 10

Main drag in Hahndorf , very much a tourist trap now a days

And coming into Birdwood, didn't do the Museum, seen it before.
But for a real gem try the unassuming beige building on the left. :thumbup:

Bills Bits And Bikes Birdwood

Cheers V2man & GotaV2

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Day 11 Nuriootpa to Balranald

The day started of OK but the rain & wind caught up with us soon enough.

Uneventful crossing....except I dropped my bike on the ferry when I went to climb off to take a photo and the sidestand wasn't completely locked in place.:headbang:

View from the cliffs on the opposite side looking down on the Murray River

The ferry we just caught

Crossing into Victoria

Cheers V2man & GotaV2

1 - 20 of 32 Posts