StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
171 Posts
Hi vis chartuese helmet. White was good, this is much more obvious to see. Everyone I have ridden with knows where I'm at.
Won't wear black gear (or own a black bike), both from the visibility and heat issue. Light gray and/or white gear if not hi vis. Be seen, stay visible at close range. Lights may help at a distance but not so much at close range.
Slow down-you aren't as good as you think.
Deer don't care.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
I have now purchased 2 different bikes that lit up like a UFO - and then promptly removed all the extra lights. I'm responsible to not get hit and if oblivious people try to merge into my 6000lb truck there is nothing I can add to a bike to make that stop happening.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Lots of good stuff. With almost 60 years of riding, many of which were in urban areas, I always had Rule 1 when stopped at traffic lights at the fore.

Dont move immediately on Green, wait for the cross traffic (and/or opposite turning lane traffic) to "settle" FIRST. This has saved my bacon a few times. On the bike and when driving!!

Also, I drive White cars, a White bike and wear White helmets😁 and recently installed MUCH brighter LED turn signal bulbs (with an LED relay). More conspicuity is always a good thing.

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
I found a hi-viz helmet catches the eye as it bounces around above most traffic. Buddy was wearing a hi-viz brilliant yellow even on his relatively low Burgman 650 and I could pick him out of oncoming traffic long before I could recognize his machine or his other gear. On our taller ADV bikes a high viz helmet is first line ...both for those on coming and those following IMNSHO.
HJC Symax III Motorcycle Helmet-Hi-Viz Fluro – MotoHeaven

For night riding - the tape they use for rescue etc is crazy reflective and cheap to put strips on the back and the sides.

The reflectivity is insane

Here is your highest viz chart

I'd start with a helmet - even if it is the 3M tape on it

Reactions: Nicad and D.T.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I do many of the things mentioned and also I flash the highbeam when approaching intersections or any time I want to show myself.

·
Administrator
14,061 Posts
I do many of the things mentioned and also I flash the highbeam when approaching intersections or any time I want to show myself.
Be careful with that one as sometimes it can be misconstrued as a "go ahead" signal. (headlight modulators can be misconctrued as well.

If you are going to be flashing your headlights and have LED high beams use the "flash to pass" button to flash as absolutely fast as you can. This is not mistaken as a "go ahead" and often stops cars in their tracks.

..Tom

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Hi vis chartuese helmet. White was good, this is much more obvious to see. Everyone I have ridden with knows where I'm at.
Won't wear black gear (or own a black bike), both from the visibility and heat issue. Light gray and/or white gear if not hi vis. Be seen, stay visible at close range. Lights may help at a distance but not so much at close range.
Slow down-you aren't as good as you think.
Deer don't care.
White helmets have been shown to be more noticeable in varying conditions.

Hi-Viz is great in the bright day time not so much dawn/dusk/low light levels. Hi-Viz fades in a few years of sun exposure also.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Dont move immediately on Green, wait for the cross traffic (and/or opposite turning lane traffic) to "settle" FIRST. This has saved my bacon a few times. On the bike and when driving!!
Phil yes I agree, you definitely don't want to be in the first row, waiting for the green light, and if you just happen to be "Don't be the first one to take off!!!" there will always be a chance to get T-boned by somebody still hoping to make it through the intersection, before they get the red light.

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
171 Posts

Hi-Viz is great in the bright day time not so much dawn/dusk/low light levels. Hi-Viz fades in a few years of sun exposure also.
Hi Vis is much more noticeable in most forms of daylight (including fog/rain) that I'm inclined to ride in. Not much dusk/dawn and virtually never at night. There are too many deer and deer strike accidents during these times of low light.
By the time my hi-vis helmet has faded out enough in the Minnesota sun and short season it would be time for a new one anyways, I believe.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hi Vis is much more noticeable in most forms of daylight (including fog/rain) that I'm inclined to ride in. Not much dusk/dawn and virtually never at night. There are too many deer and deer strike accidents during these times of low light.
By the time my hi-vis helmet has faded out enough in the Minnesota sun and short season it would be time for a new one anyways, I believe.
Ha ha I guess you don't worry about skin cancer in Minnesota 🙃

As far as "helmet expiry date"...I am not convinced that a quality helmet , built with carbon fiber, with as they claim; a UV inhibitor paint, with antimicrobial lining, well cared for, never dropped or damaged in any way, needs to be replaced after a few years of being worn on your head....hmmm sounds a bit like a marketing to increase sales 🤔

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
171 Posts
Ha ha I guess you don't worry about skin cancer in Minnesota 🙃

As far as "helmet expiry date"...I am not convinced that a quality helmet , built with carbon fiber, with as they claim; a UV inhibitor paint, with antimicrobial lining, well cared for, never dropped or damaged in any way, needs to be replaced after a few years of being worn on your head....hmmm sounds a bit like a marketing to increase sales 🤔
I would probably agree but it has more to do with the inner foam supposedly deteriorates and looses its crash protection ability and certifications. I thought it was five to ten years expiration but it depends who or what recommendation you listen to I suppose.
I've had the current HiVis helmet for three seasons now and no real noticeable fade in comparison to the one bought new for my wife that seldom sees the light of day.
Actually the intensity of the sun is supposedly getting proportionally greater nearer the earths poles than the equator. Or so the glacier melt nerds report. Skin cancer is very common up north. Summer Season is shorter but the sunrise to sunset times are longer when we have it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Lastly, the idea of staying to one side or the other of vehicles ahead so you can better see would have prevented the inglorious bloated groundhog strike of 2007...can still smell/taste that funk of nastiness that exploded all over me and my old Honda when the rider ahead of me simply weaved around the roadkill leaving me no choice but a direct hit!

You can also avoid this by allowing more distance between your bike and the car in front of you. I do the 2-3 second rule in my car, and extend that when I'm on a bike. I've tangled with a car once, don't ever want to do that again, I give them as much room as I can.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Actually the intensity of the sun is supposedly getting proportionally greater nearer the earths poles than the equator. Or so the glacier melt nerds report. Skin cancer is very common up north. Summer Season is shorter but the sunrise to sunset times are longer when we have it.
True, I am here at 3557 feet (1084 m) above sea level , getting sunburns in the winter 😬

also funfact, our thinner air messes with baking recipes since they are usually written for sea level kitchens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just something i do, safety i guess. Always use the 2 second rule when on the highway following traffic. When i go to pass, and waiting for a break in traffic, i move to the middle of the road, (not if there is on coming trafic), and stay in the side mirror, of the vehicle in front, before i make the passing move, Hopefully the driver knows i am there and is ready for me to pass. Sometimes when i do this the vehicle will move to their left, (Drive on the left in Aus), making plenty of room to pass, I will always acknowledged them with a wave

I use my hazard lights when a vehicle tailgates me. Car or bike. I used to try breaking or touching the brake but i found the tailing vehicles wouldn't back off. Using the hazard lights, for 3 or 4 flashes, gets their attention and they will back off 100% of the time

·
Registered
169 Posts
Fun fact. My first helmet was a white 3/4 helmet with flip visor, because it's what all of our motorcycle cops wear. The idea was, any time I see a white helmet while driving my car, I instinctively do a double-take to see if they're not a cop. Quickly upgraded to a full face helmet. That thing made too much noise on the highway.

Reactions: Spec

·
Registered
149 Posts
Triangle of lights on front. I have a pair of very bright amber aux lights mounted well below the headlight and as wide as possible, clear upper cut-off, aimed properly. I believe they have made a noticeable difference in my experience on the road.

I also very strongly believe it is counterproductive to try to blind the people that you want to be seen by. Riding with 100 watt high beams, shitty LEDs that produce nothing but scatter, off road racing lights, etc. I have had some very bad experiences with users of these lights on the road. It is very hard to judge distance and closing rate in these cases.
As for the triangle of headlights, there is science in that. Even the train engines around my area have a triangle of headlights. That reminds me, I gotta get a couple more head lights for my Wee...

·
Registered
149 Posts
So much good advice guys!

A couple of things I thought of:

Don't spend time next to semis/large trucks. Hang back wait for a gap and motor through.

Be an assertive rider. Not aggressive or rude but be a bit faster than the general flow of traffic. Move out of the pack and stay in a gap.

Bonus tip! Don't get mad at other drivers. Let stuff go, people make mistakes. Even with drivers that are being jerks physics should tell you that trying to retaliate in some way won't go well for you on a bike.
I'll second that. When I learned to drive at 16 yrs old, my father taught me to not drive beside a semi if I didn't have to, as if an emergency happens and the driver has to make a decision... plow into a line of stopped cars, or go sideways and only take out one car, or bike, well... what would you do?

As for your bonus tip, I do find I get mad, but only at other "bikers" that don't return my wave. I change my wave to the finger but too late for them to see. And it bugs me. I've gotta get over that....

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
  • Hi Viz Gear
  • I use my 'Passing Light' in the daytime. Pull and hold the light to alert side traffic that I'm on the road IF I think they don't see me.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts