StromTrooper banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know that when I did have a shaft drive bike, other riders would have to pay a LOT of money to change the gearing. Even then, their choices were limited by what would fit and what they could find in junk yards.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Wouldn't that limit the bike in terms of weight and suspension travel? I like shaft drives more for their reliability over chains, but for the purposes of this bike I don't think it makes sense.
You mean the 40,000km that BMW's get from their final drive is more than the 48.000km I got from my OEM chain ?.

Guess I can't count.

And that figure seems about right based on the BMW's I ride with.

Certainly lower maintenance until they fail, but better reliability - I don't think so.

Pete

·
Registered
166 Posts
You mean the 40,000km that BMW's get from their final drive is more than the 48.000km I got from my OEM chain ?.

Guess I can't count.

And that figure seems about right based on the BMW's I ride with.

Certainly lower maintenance until they fail, but better reliability - I don't think so.

Pete
Your use of commas and periods is confusing, haha. I don't know anything about BMW shaft drives, but I was referring to a street bike with a shaft drive since that's the only experience I have with them. If you're saying that the shaft drive is less reliable on a dual sport bike, then you are just affirming what I was speculating.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
BMW'S aside, most shaft drives last a long,long time. You do have to lube them around 10-15,000 miles, just do it when you buy new tires. Change the diff. oil once a year and ride. The downside is you can't change gearing as cheap/or at all as you can with a chain. Belt drives aren't Gods gift to drivelines as some will have you think! Some of the belt boys on my old Kaw forums are having "sticker shock" now that they need replaced! My last two bikes were shaft driven and were OK, I even had to second guess if I wanted a chain, but now that I have one-it's really no big deal, cheap, easy to maintain, lightweight, I really see no big advantage to a shaft anymore. Cheers-BB

·
Registered
22,235 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
My XV90RJ went 60,000 miles on the first chain. The owners manual suggested replacing the chain at 30,000, so at 60k I decided it was high time. When I pulled the chain, the sprockets still had the grind marks on the teeth from manufacture! No wear AT ALL in 60,000 miles of running in 90 wt. gear oil. Since I'd already bought the chain, I went ahead and stuck it in but didn't replace the sprockets.

The bike went another 25,000 miles before the starter bendix finally ate enough teeth off the flywheel to make it hard to start. Enclosed chains are GREAT!

Revill

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Keep_it_on_the_DL;453226The problem with a belt drive on a bike that may be ridden off-road is the possibility of sucking a rock up in the belt. I believe that was Bavarian Mower Works put a chain on the F800GS instead of a belt like on its 800ST brethren.[/QUOTE said:
If I had a DL1000, I'd set it up for sport touring.

I'd then probably get a DRZ400 to terrorize the mountain bikers on the dirt roads around here.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yep!

My XV90RJ went 60,000 miles on the first chain. The owners manual suggested replacing the chain at 30,000, so at 60k I decided it was high time. When I pulled the chain, the sprockets still had the grind marks on the teeth from manufacture! No wear AT ALL in 60,000 miles of running in 90 wt. gear oil. Since I'd already bought the chain, I went ahead and stuck it in but didn't replace the sprockets.

The bike went another 25,000 miles before the starter bendix finally ate enough teeth off the flywheel to make it hard to start. Enclosed chains are GREAT!

Revill
I agree completely. I am very familiar with the XJ920RJ and think it one of the best and most underated bikes of all time. It had a long and illustrious production run across the pond but in North America the cruzer loozers and sportbike squids just didn't "get it", if you know what I mean. Even HD had some models with enclosed chains. I don't think Suzuki will ever do anything interesting with the V-Strom platform from a true DP/Adventure bike direction as its just another commodity to them. If sales were to drop of significantly they'd drop the model like a hot potatoe.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I reluctantly traded in my Yamaha XV920RH when I got the DL1000 because of diminishing garage space. I regret losing it. Never had a bit of trouble with the chain but the case leaked a little bit because I dumped the bike on the left side in Alameda, er, Government Island, trying to make a left turn on sandblasting grit. Evidently, I tweaked the chain case in the process. That was an excellent bike but spares were becoming impossible to find.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Would love to have shaft drive on the Stroms especially the 1K. Maybe the Wee would require too many ration changes for the shaft drive to be feasible but honestly, that's Suzuki's fault. Sixth gear should be a tall OD gear to get the revs down while still being able to crawl around in 1st. New GSs aside, most shaft drives are very reliable, never need adjusting or cleaning and the only lubing they need is to the splines every time you change tires. Oil gets changed ever once in a great while. Add 75lbs??? BS:thumbdown:.

I have a FJR that's going on 80K miles. I have never had one bit of trouble from the shaft drive and I'm extremely hard on the bike. Harder than most and like I said, no problems, no cleaning, no oiling and no adjusting. Just ride.:yesnod: I love it and bitched up a storm when I bought the Strom.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
As a shaftie rider for the last 12 years, I had to do a lot of soul-searching to allow a chain back in my garage. It still bugs me, but give me time -- it's only been a couple of weeks...

I do like the idea of an enclosed chain, though. Wonder if someone out there could come up with a kit?

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I love the fact that the title of this section of the forum is...

"Feedback to Suzuki Only post information that you feel Suzuki would benefit from knowing. Not a "conversation" section"

...and we have 4 pages of discussion about a shaft drive Strom? :confused:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Make the electrical system stronger and do a throttle body sync on the DL1000 before it ships out.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts