StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 DL650A
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really interested in the Shad 3P for my 650. I use it, when it isn't winter, for commuting and thinking about a few-day trip here and there.
From those with experience, did you go with the 23 liter option or 35/36 liter option, and why.
I dont know if the 23 will be "enough" and I dont want the 35/36 if the profile becomes rather wide. Kinda kills that the side case sets are not interchangeable on the same mount..
Pictures would be great but I know that's asking a lot.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
I went with the 23s and with top load they carry a lot including a laptop. Served me well on a cross Canada trip in 2019
They were wider than I like.

The good part is easy on and off and the P3 rack almost invisible when the cases are off.

Reactions: Dr. Stone

·
Registered
2019 DL650AL9
97 Posts
I have the SH23s and really like em. Mine mount closer to my 650 compared with Macdoc’s Honda. The SH35s and 36s will create a wider profile which seemed excessive to me. I prefer top-opening cases. The SH23s really hold a lot. I carry a decent amount of equipment around, but still have room to make grocery runs. At some point I’ll probably add a Shad top case for use on longer over night trips...

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Nice with the white tops (y)
Shad offers a metal rack on top of the top case we really found useful for drying clothes
and light bulky things
SHAD D0PS00 Top Case Accessory for Case Upper Rack, Black

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have the SH23 and a SH48 top case. I really like them. They're sturdy, attach firmly, and hold a good amount. They are not dust proof though.

I thought the 3P system mounts were the same for all of the Shad side cases, or not so?

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
So did I.

·
Registered
2019 DL650A
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought the 3P system mounts were the same for all of the Shad side cases, or not so?

The shad 3p system "brochure" shows one rack for the 23 liter (s0vs68if) and one rack for the 35/36 liter (s0vs69if).

Do you all have experience fitting 23 and 35/36 side cases interchangeably?

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Ask the vendor ...they are very responsive.

·
Registered
529 Posts

The shad 3p system "brochure" shows one rack for the 23 liter (s0vs68if) and one rack for the 35/36 liter (s0vs69if).

Do you all have experience fitting 23 and 35/36 side cases interchangeably?
Ahh, I see that this is for a 650, and I own a 1000.

On my 1000, the rack kit is the same part number for either size case. But- on the 1000, there are two sets of top spacers. With the SH23 side cases, Shad suggests to use both spacers to move the cases an additional 25mm (each) further from the bike. This is to increase the space between the passenger handles and the case. I mounted my brackets without the additional spacers and it works just fine. I didn't want my bike to be 2" wider.

BMG178- Do you have any additional bracing to support your rear carrier against the extra weight of the top trunk? On the 1000, the rear carrier is really flimsy and requires additional braces or otherwise the rear case will do the wobble baby wobble. (watch the Youtube for that song, you'll get the wobble idea 😁 )

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Ahh, I see that this is for a 650, and I own a 1000.

On my 1000, the rack kit is the same part number for either size case. But- on the 1000, there are two sets of top spacers. With the SH23 side cases, Shad suggests to use both spacers to move the cases an additional 25mm (each) further from the bike. This is to increase the space between the passenger handles and the case. I mounted my brackets without the additional spacers and it works just fine. I didn't want my bike to be 2" wider.

BMG178- Do you have any additional bracing to support your rear carrier against the extra weight of the top trunk? On the 1000, the rear carrier is really flimsy and requires additional braces or otherwise the rear case will do the wobble baby wobble. (watch the Youtube for that song, you'll get the wobble idea 😁 )
@Bazoka Joe:

I do not have any issues with my trunk or use any type of additional bracing. It is very stable and not flimsy. Not sure the difference between the 650 and 1000 mounting brackets but I haven't experienced any issues with mine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Last year i bought the 35s for my 650. They hold plenty, look good and come with bag liners. Can't go wrong for the price. I believe they might be running specials right now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've got the 23s and a 48 top case. for the 650, I believe the mounts are the same, but the rear piece is different for the 35s.

For commuting, I like the size if the 23. when I park, I can get all my gear in a case with room to spare.

biggest gripe, have to have a key to secure the lid and I can't find key blanks. I would like to get two spares, cut them down and glue them to a bottle cap. Use that as a closing knob of sorts.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 DL1000A (Current)
83 Posts
Who would be the recommended/suggested vendor for Shad products here in the US?

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Use that as a closing knob of sorts.
and they do fly open at speed ....send a note to Shad ...it is annoying having to lock

·
Registered
2019 DL650AL9
97 Posts
Who would be the recommended/suggested vendor for Shad products here in the US?
Shad USA website is how I ordered. They typically offer 15-20% discount on holidays

1 - 19 of 19 Posts