StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kept thinking that I knew what the head buffeting of the Vstrom was but it was mainly my getting reacquainted to motorcycling.

This past weekend I truly discovered the head buffetting issue but it only occurs when I have a passenger. Without a passenger I can take it to 100 indicated and only have normal wind blowing at me. However, add a passenger and right around 50-55 mph my head starts rocking back and forth uncontrollably and so did hers.

I had to listen to her laughing over the comm system for 20 minutes because I looked like a bobble head.

Has anyone else only experienced this with a passenger?

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
First of all I would make sure that she is a close a humanly possible to you!
I suggest you experiment with different 'positions'. :D
Seriously though disrupting the laminar flow of air will create some creative turbulance and buffeting. If you normally travel with a tail bag, then take it off and go for a trip you will probably notice different patterns as well. I have experienced this with different types of gear/helmets/back packs etc... but with very limited 2 up experience. I am pretty sure that there are windshields developed specially for 2 up traveling. That suggests to me that there are indeed special aerodynamic needs for it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I don't get any changes from single, 2up, single with top case, 2 up with top case. In fact I have no buffeting to complain about. I have a tall windscreen but at 6'7" with an Arai XD helmet (w/visor) so my head is above the top of the screen. Not really an issue. It's intereting the threads with these complaints, yet I have very little issue.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I've had this happen from time to time with both the stock and the Euro sport screen.

The solution is to have your passenger move their body closer to you, to close the gap between your bodies, and between your helmets. When my lady moves in closer to me, and places her chin just above my shoulder, the problem goes away instantly.

Also...

It only seems to happen at highway speeds, and when I am riding into a fairly strong headwind.

Try it.

It's interesting the threads with these complaints, yet I have very little issue.
You have a tall windscreen. There are many of us who would rather have no screen, than a tall screen. That's why you see so many variations in the problems and complaints people have.

M

·
0 Posts
Put a larger shield and a madstad bracket on it and you'll never have to complain about it again. I ride two up without a bit of buffeting. Givi screen and madstad bracket.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Put a larger shield and a madstad bracket on it and you'll never have to complain about it again. I ride two up without a bit of buffeting. Givi screen and madstad bracket.
Ditto. The key is the Madstad. I have two distinct positions I use for solo and 2-up. The bobble-head effect you're getting with a passenger is caused by the swirling air that forms between the two of you. Solo, it goes around you and then keeps on going back. 2-up, it hits her and swirls back where it runs into the backward moving air and you end up with garbage air. As others have noted, you can move her close to help this some (decreasing the potential area in which the swirl occurs.)

In my case, with the Madstad (which you should really buy regardless of sheild, it IS that good) I tilt the sheild up to 1/4-1/3 from full forward when I'm 2-up, which directs the air over her thus avoiding the swirl between us. Solo, I run it at 1/3-1/4 from the back for the smoothest air running around the top of my helmet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I havent experience buffetting yet either, but I do have a topcase. That might have changed it. Anyhow, if I were two upping with a lady friend, I'd have her sit really close to me anyways. ;)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Put a larger shield and a madstad bracket on it and you'll never have to complain about it again.
That's fine if you don't mind the way it will make your bike look. But for guys like me it's not a solution, because it makes the bike look so damn ugly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's fine if you don't mind the way it will make your bike look. But for guys like me it's not a solution, because it makes the bike look so damn ugly.
I was just going to say that, glad I read to the end. I think the madstad and the way it moves the shield makes the strom look hideous. I think I'll just have to experiment with a shorter shield, spacers/longer bolts and a few other options till I find what works

·
Registered
852 Posts
I was just going to say that, glad I read to the end. I think the madstad and the way it moves the shield makes the strom look hideous. I think I'll just have to experiment with a shorter shield, spacers/longer bolts and a few other options till I find what works.
Yes, I don't mean to knock the guys whom are perfectly happy with big screens and brackets and lips, and what-not, but that stuff is not for everyone. The bike has to look inviting to ride for many of us, and not just be a utilitarian machine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts