StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've had two weeks to get to know each other - super happy my old riding skills came back after many years on a scooter. They really are different animals.
Installed the fork brace and kickstand foot from Rick at Adventure Tech. I'm a little less anxious about that stand folding on me again - that foot helps settle the stand when let down, not to mention the excessive lean is fixed. Good stuff!
This weekend I'll be installing the shelf, the Eastern Beaver headlight harness and other electrics like a fused distribution panel. I'm hoping y'all are right about the harness brightening up the lights - once again I find cagers pulling/turning in front of me. They didn't pull that shit with HID's. I've got a pair of 10W bullet driving spots that I need to figure how to mount on the crash bars... any hints welcome.
Was baptized in rain the other day - this bike handles awesome on some really crappy wet surfaces. Intersections my scoot slipped on are handled with aplomb - ABS? Who needs stinkin ABS! (JK - that was a selling point for me)
It brings to mind a question - I'm recalling that downshifting to brake is generally a bad idea in rain - mostly due to slippage but also it would torque the bike and possibly initiate a slide. I forgot and downshifted coming into a notoriously slick exit ramp and that dang bike tracked true. I paid attention after that and downshifting is very ho-hum. Is this the new normal? I'd hate to think I've been mislead by the bike and take a dive in the future. I've always practiced using both brakes balanced, I just erred that once but good to know how a bike normally reacts in all situations.
Finally I'm really over the throttle in 1st and second gear. It is very hard to maintain a steady slow speed without excessive clutch use. The throttle is initially like on or off - much like my old Honda Elsinore dirt bike. It causes a bad lurch and jerkiness. This is a real problem in stop-n-go traffic on the freeway. I got to where I let a big enough gap to do a smooth accel - then the idiots behind me try to plow me under from impatience and also people using that as an excuse to cut in. I saw an allusion to a throttle cam with a smoother roll-on. Anybody use these? Any Good?
Thanks for letting me ramble - all advice taken to heart.

·
Registered
528 Posts
For that slow speed jerkiness, if you don't do a lot of long, high-speed stints on the highway, you could change the gearing by dropping 1 tooth on the front sprocket. Cheap and easy mod. Some do this mod for making offroad riding easier. Downside is you'll be revving slightly higher. Some people do opposite and go up a tooth on the front to make the engine a little more calm at speed. Personally, I think Zuk got the gearing pretty spot on for an overall good mix of riding conditions. Now the 1K Strom, that's a different story.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I too am new to my Vstrom, but really like it. From previous bikes, I know my throttle skill @ slow speed is poor, especially standing up on gravel/dirt roads. I bought a different throttle that gives you better fine tuning control during the initial throttle twist. I have not got it yet, so results are only hear say, but the maker has glowing comments from users. G2 throttle tamer

I will be waiting to hear about lights on your crash bars. I could use some more visibility lights.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Check that you do NOT have excess throttle play.
Other than that this will sort itself out are a 1,000 miles of practice.
Cheers,

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:surprise:
Check that you do NOT have excess throttle play.
Other than that this will sort itself out are a 1,000 miles of practice.
Cheers,
Interesting - I thought I had read that it required a little slack.
The slow speed thing annoys the crap out of me as I used to demonstrate the box. Plus I'm accustomed to giving a "curtsy" at stop signs if nobody is coming - that not-quite-stopped results in a mighty jerk when gas is applied unless I feather the clutch. Let off the gas and it's almost stoppie time. Sheesh!
I hope the sorting out happens soon if it's just a familiarization.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too am new to my Vstrom, but really like it. From previous bikes, I know my throttle skill @ slow speed is poor, especially standing up on gravel/dirt roads. I bought a different throttle that gives you better fine tuning control during the initial throttle twist. I have not got it yet, so results are only hear say, but the maker has glowing comments from users. G2 throttle tamer

I will be waiting to hear about lights on your crash bars. I could use some more visibility lights.
I'd be interested in researching that throttle - can you share a link?

·
Registered
186 Posts
No sure what to say re your twitchy throttle. I'm thinking it's just getting to know a new machine. Perhaps if it doesn't go away with a few more miles you might have another rider give his impression of your bike.
Jim

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
"The slow speed thing annoys the crap out of me as I used to demonstrate the box"

I'm not getting the inference........to the "box"

I agree with On2wheels.....at first I noticed the "notchy" throttle at slower speeds....now not at all. However, I did change out my fork springs for heavier one's and it is possible that reducing the front end lift/dive might have calmed the notchyness.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"The slow speed thing annoys the crap out of me as I used to demonstrate the box"

I'm not getting the inference........to the "box"

I agree with On2wheels.....at first I noticed the "notchy" throttle at slower speeds....now not at all. However, I did change out my fork springs for heavier one's and it is possible that reducing the front end lift/dive might have calmed the notchyness.
The MSF safety course has a test they call the box - 18'x40' you should be able to enter and do a figure 8 without going over the lines and then exit. Seriously - you never heard of the box???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6tYLZvlHEY

The jerkiness isn't just a getting used to thing - most times with steady throttle it accelerates smoothly - it's when you have to back off that it's an issue - like when the cager decides he was at the stop first and pulls out. You let off the throttle which causes the front to dive and no matter how easy you try to give it throttle it gives quite a jerk. Usually I have time to feather the clutch - but if not...

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
The MSF safety course has a test they call the box - 18'x40' you should be able to enter and do a figure 8 without going over the lines and then exit. Seriously - you never heard of the box???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6tYLZvlHEY

The jerkiness isn't just a getting used to thing - most times with steady throttle it accelerates smoothly - it's when you have to back off that it's an issue - like when the cager decides he was at the stop first and pulls out. You let off the throttle which causes the front to dive and no matter how easy you try to give it throttle it gives quite a jerk. Usually I have time to feather the clutch - but if not...
It is a "thing" with these bikes and it will really never go away. But, time in the saddle will make it ....uhmmmm.....acceptable. Stick with the figure 8 practice, make sure your head and eyes are where you want to go and just stay in the 8 doing several, then reverse direction and do several more.

No, unfortunately I never took a MSF course. But as a police motorman & instructor(retired) I was intimately familiar with hundreds of boxes. Part of the instructors class was to design and set up an obstacle that the rest of the class had to ride. But when I think of the box, instantly the slow box comes to mind. It is 8x35' and I think the record from one end to the other is over 6 min:

I don't practice much slow riding anymore, it can be really hard on a clutch :yesnod: but it is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
204 Posts
:surprise:

Interesting - I thought I had read that it required a little slack.
It does. The key work was "excess".
When I bought my bike it had 1,950 miles and too much slack throttle slack . The clutch was also out of adjustment but that was obvious. When I'm doing parking lot maneuvers, u-turns, etc. I rely on getting the clutch into the friction zone and bit of rear brake to modulate my speed.
Cheers,

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It does. The key work was "excess".
When I bought my bike it had 1,950 miles and too much slack throttle slack . The clutch was also out of adjustment but that was obvious. When I'm doing parking lot maneuvers, u-turns, etc. I rely on getting the clutch into the friction zone and bit of rear brake to modulate my speed.
Cheers,
Absolutely and the main reason for my consternation - it's tough to get in the zone the way it sits right now - it seems like a little on teh long side letting the clutch out and the distance on the throttle seems "wide" then it just pops on hard. No amount of feathering the clutch smooths the combo out.
How much slack do you have yours set at before you feel resistance?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a 2011 wee and my son a 2012 I did notice a little difference in the throttle but nothing like you are describing .

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 2012 manual has 0.08 - 0.16 inch as the spec. Attached is a picture of page 7-27, showing how to do this with a warning about what can happen if there is too little slack.
Cheers,
Thanks a mil! I for damn sure have more than that.
Hopefully it will stop raining this weekend so I can get a few farkles on and adjust this - then for some backroads!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I tightened the throttle cable slack and chain tension to the minimum (tighter end) of the spec and it helped a lot. I hardly even notice it anymore and have adapted my clutch technique to minimize it. I have about 2,000 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One of the things I noticed today is that there is a decided clunk and slight lurch when shifting into 1st from neutral at a stop with clutch pulled in fully. Raise any questions with y'all? I don't put a lot of faith in dealer "prep" and always suspect that as long as it starts and stuff doesn't fall off - push it out the door.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts