StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding for many years but never really bothered messing with suspension. I am heading out for my first ever solo backcountry camping. Do I set the suspension sag with the bike fully loaded?

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
I have been riding for many years but never really bothered messing with suspension. I am heading out for my first ever solo backcountry camping. Do I set the suspension sag with the bike fully loaded?
Yes, including you. You'll need at least one helper to measure it correctly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So one thing I’m not understanding. They talk about setting static sag and then rider sag. Because every rider is a different weight how can you have static sag set and have it work out for rider sag?

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
So one thing I’m not understanding. They talk about setting static sag and then rider sag. Because every rider is a different weight how can you have static sag set and have it work out for rider sag?
That's a tool for getting to the right spring rate. Since you are stuck, for the moment, with what you have set the total sag, the static will be whatever it's going to be.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well hopefully I didn’t damage anything. I assumed the factory setting was somewhere in the middle. I was trying to turn the preload on the rear counter clockwise so I could see where it was from zero. It wouldn’t turn. Finally realized that it was already turned all the way to zero. Does anyone know how many clicks there are? I don’t want try and force anything anymore? 2018 DL 1000

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. I got it. I believe the rear shock has 25 clicks. I have it set at 19 clicks for day to day and max (25 clicks) for a loaded up camping bike. So I could use a little more spring rate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts