StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little perplexed, maybe I'm overthinking this.

Bought a Progressive shock to drop the wife's 1K by an inch. Installed the shock per the instructions. Now, I'm trying to set the sag.

1) Inserted a drift/punch thru the hole in the axle to get a point to measure from.

2) Placed bike on center stand and allowed shock to fully extend.

3) Measured straight up to a point on her GIVI racks. Marked that spot with tape. That was 12.5 "

4) Got wife on bike fully dressed out. Bounced up and down about 5 times to settle suspension. Measured same spot, using same method. That measured 10.5 "

Strom suspension shows 6.3 " of travel. Progressive says 1/3 of total travel is good. So I think I'm set.

Correct???

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have not setup a Progressive shock , but I use 1" - 1.5" ( the difference beween the 2 ) I make sure my feet and the pillion are both off the ground. I don't know if it makes a big difference, but how I was shown. I would most likely think about adding a bit more preload if the bags were not loaded. For mine I add 35 lbs to each side case get on and have my one son measure the other holds the bike stable with me on it.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts

Bought a Progressive shock to drop the wife's 1K by an inch. Installed the shock per the instructions. Now, I'm trying to set the sag.

1) Inserted a drift/punch thru the hole in the axle to get a point to measure from.

3) Measured straight up to a point on her GIVI racks. Marked that spot with tape. That was 12.5 "

4) Got wife on bike fully dressed out. Bounced up and down about 5 times to settle suspension. Measured same spot, using same method. That measured 10.5 "

Strom suspension shows 6.3 " of travel. Progressive says 1/3 of total travel is good. So I think I'm set.

Correct???
Yep, correct. She's all set. :thumbup: When you add luggage, you may wish to add some preload.

Some people like a little less sag -- the rule of thumb is 1/4 to 1/3 of total suspension travel, depending on tastes and riding style.

Just FYI, most streetbikes have about 4" of suspension travel, so you have to take that into account when discussing sag -- it's a proportion, not a number.

The Strom's greater suspension travel helps explain why it's so effective on crappy back roads.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts

Correct???
Actual travel is closer to 5.5", and 28-30% is better than 1/3 IMO. 40mm of sag usually works well on the Stroms.
In her case, you may need to balance that against the seat height, if less sag means she's less comfortable on the bike then go back to where you were.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great replies, thanks a lot!

I'll probably bump it up a bit at some point, particularly if my Alaska trip in July pans out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts