StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed Suzuki Canada with my VIN# and recieved confirmation that my '14 DL 650 is on the recall list.

So now I'm wondering where I should take it in the Toronto area for the service. Anyone out there had experience with Newmarket Suzuki, Brampton Cycle or anyone else in the area? I'm a bit nervous about having someone else open the valve covers.

I will probably rent a Uhaul trailer to take it in, because I don't want to lose any riding time in the spring. If anyone needs a haul up to a dealer, I'd be very open to sharing the trailer.

John

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
HI John, Ihave heard a lot of bad things about Newmarket Suzuki on the GTA motorcycle page. I have never purchased from them but have emailed about a bike and it was very frustrating experience.. that was trying to buy a bike. I don't think id go there for service. I am not sure of the others, i'm located in Kingston so not of much help :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Keith Premdas
416-893-2837
[email protected]

Keith was previously the head mechanic for a Suzuki dealership and is authorized to do warranty and recall work on our bikes.
He currently works out of his home garage near Keele/St.Clair which has a dedicated motorcycle repair shop in it.
He is also a very good friend of mine and a very honest guy.
He also does very good quality work.

What is the nature of the recall on the 2014 bikes? Is it valves or something deeper?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Keith Premdas
416-893-2837
[email protected]

Keith was previously the head mechanic for a Suzuki dealership and is authorized to do warranty and recall work on our bikes.
He currently works out of his home garage near Keele/St.Clair which has a dedicated motorcycle repair shop in it.
He is also a very good friend of mine and a very honest guy.
He also does very good quality work.

What is the nature of the recall on the 2014 bikes? Is it valves or something deeper?
Tappet wear iirc

definitely check out gtamotorcycle.com for reviews for suzuki dealerships in the toronto area. dunno if suzuki of newmarket has changed, i think they changed up their sales staff but it seems like a lot of the MC industry in toronto is a whirl pool. the same players just keep circling around.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Tappet wear iirc

definitely check out gtamotorcycle.com for reviews for suzuki dealerships in the toronto area. dunno if suzuki of newmarket has changed, i think they changed up their sales staff but it seems like a lot of the MC industry in toronto is a whirl pool. the same players just keep circling around.
Tappet indeed.

Suzuki recall - Canada Moto Guide

Recall #: 2015605
Models Involved: 2013-2014 Suzuki Burgman 650, 2013-2014 Suzuki Gladius 650, 2014-2015 Suzuki GSX1250FA, 2013-2014 Suzuki GSX650A, 2013-2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Number of Vehicles:
Problem: On certain motorcycles, contamination between the valve tappet and cam may cause the hardened surface of the valve tappet to peel if the surface shape of the valve tappet is convex. This would allow the inner part of the valve tappet to come in contact with the cam, which could cause both the valve tappet and cam to wear, increasing the valve tappet clearance.
Correction: For motorcycles with odometer readings of 4,000 kilometers or greater, dealers will inspect the tappet clearances and will replace the valve tappets and camshafts if the valve tappets clearances are greater than the specification. For motorcycles with odometer readings of less than 4,000 kilometers, dealers will replace the tappets and camshafts, because the tappet clearances may be within the specification at low mileage even if there is abnormal wear.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks for the tips. I wasn't keen on taking it to Newmarket. I bought the bike there, but that was just because they had the colour I wanted and a good price.

Will try Keith first and then go from there.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Ok thanks for the tips. I wasn't keen on taking it to Newmarket. I bought the bike there, but that was just because they had the colour I wanted and a good price.

Will try Keith first and then go from there.
Keith is an awesome mechanic. Swapped my engine out in a little over a day.

Terrific guy. You'll like him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts