StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is the manual currently offered-Feb. 2018- in the US covering the 2018 changes , or will I receive a 2014-2016 manual?
I can't get a response from the Suzuki supplier, but they list it as a 2014-2018 model.
I made a deal on a 2018 A in NJ.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Many times with the same basic model, a year addendum is added to the back of the 1st-year model. My '14 DL1000 Suzuki shop manual has all the normal info for the '14 model. After that, there are pages that describe the service changes for the '15 and '16 models.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have manual for '14 model. Now, I sold my '14 model and purchased '18 model. Is there a way to get just addendum so no need to purchase new service manuals and spend a fortune again?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,256 Posts
Contact the manual supplier. This information will be somewhere in the manual. It won't be Suzuki ( assuming your manual is a Suzuki manual). While they may not be advertised, it is common for supplements to be available over time. These update model years, but also correct errors.

At least it used to be that way, now it is hard to get a paper manual for the automotive stuff.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It seems like Suzuki part no. 99500 39503 03E is the 2014-2018 service manual.

One legitimate source shows it backordered and the other will not even accept the order, so the dealer may be the way to go.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've also been wondering if the service manual part number 99500-39503-03E does, in fact, cover the 2018 models as many vendors on the internet claim it does and Suzuki's website also says that that part number is for 2014/2018 models.

So I'm going to call up Suzuki USA in Socal today and see if they can confirm that it does cover the 2018 models.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just got off the phone with a customer rep at Suzuki Motors USA and was told that service manual 99500-39503-03E which is listed as covering 2014/2018 models, that any differences in the 2018 models are covered by an addendum in the back of the service manual.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I don't know how many times I have to write this. Any manual with a plastic binding is pirated. Genuine Suzuki Manuals and https://www.google.com/search?q=repairmanual.com&rlz=1C1SNNT_enUS339US339&oq=repair&aqs=chrome.5.69i57j69i60l2j0j69i61j35i39.5529j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 are the only sites outside of Suzuki dealers I know of that have genuine manuals. Any manual much under $80 is pirated. This site does not condone piracy.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/rules-forum-support-help-information-[not-motorcycle-related-questions]/48470-rules.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
?

GW , I was looking at $90 plus $15 shipping from the two sources you had sited several times.

Good to here , it looks like the 18 is covered, thank you

·
Registered
468 Posts
I got my cheapo copy. Yup, thick plastic binding, pretty decent printing. I'm guessing they bought the Suzuki version and cut the binding, then fed it into a high quality page-feeding 2-sided scanner. It doesn't seem like the profit margin and volume of sales would be worth the risk. :confused: I guess that margin could be further minimized if Suzuki and other manufacturers would reduce their cost for repair manuals.

Seems like 2018 changes are mixed in, not just at the very end, but I haven't looked at it a lot yet. Wiring diagrams seem complete, but I will have to use a magnifier to see the wire colors. Printing is detailed enough to read the fine print, though. For $50 shipped, I'm pleased with it. I wouldn't mind an electronic version at some point. It can be handy to have available without lugging around a big book.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I got my cheapo copy. Yup, thick plastic binding, pretty decent printing. I'm guessing they bought the Suzuki version and cut the binding, then fed it into a high quality page-feeding 2-sided scanner. It doesn't seem like the profit margin and volume of sales would be worth the risk. :confused: I guess that margin could be further minimized if Suzuki and other manufacturers would reduce their cost for repair manuals.

Seems like 2018 changes are mixed in, not just at the very end, but I haven't looked at it a lot yet. Wiring diagrams seem complete, but I will have to use a magnifier to see the wire colors. Printing is detailed enough to read the fine print, though. For $50 shipped, I'm pleased with it. I wouldn't mind an electronic version at some point. It can be handy to have available without lugging around a big book.

Like everyone else I do not like like pirated material, however, the fees charged by the manufacturer and not selling the product in a digital form is a reason to go “after market” for a manual. Glad you are happy with your copy. I know the mods will come in with the riot act at some point, because they have to or feel they have to. A digital copy of the service manual is what I am waiting for. I’ll give the manufacturer a little more time to get their crap together and give me what I want, or I to will look in the “after market” for a digital copy.

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Talk about fairness or any other aspect of pirated manuals all you want but do not post a link here to any or otherwise post how anyone can find one. That's where the line is drawn.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem also in some other countries, like South Africa, where I live is the price for a genuine copy. With the current exchange rate, it is about R1000. That is quite significant, about 1/3 the minimum monthly wage. I wish they would take that into consideration when selling these manuals in countries with poor exchange rates

·
Registered
468 Posts
I got tired of always having to have my book and a magnifier to look at any circuits. :nerd:

I carefully separated the plastic binding, removed the pages for wiring diagram and ran them thru my scanner. I was able to put them back in and sort of weld the binding back together with a soldering gun. It's already been very handy to have them on my computer and on my phone. :mod2_clap:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts