StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Aus. the cheapest service manual I can is from the dealer for $180 is it worth that much or should I hold out as the bike is only 2 months old?

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
I have a service manual, but it largely sits all lonely. You could do to wait a bit and hope for someone selling one that was previously ignored.

You will want it when you go to check valves if your into that, I prefer to let the dealer do that kind of thing but many do it themselves.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Depending on your mechanical ability you may or may not need it. I bought one for each of my bikes and used it once or twice. It will come in handy one day I can promise you that.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Here in Aus. the cheapest service manual I can is from the dealer for $180 is it worth that much or should I hold out as the bike is only 2 months old?
Hi Tom!
$180 is less than the cost of a minor service ;) if you have the manual and even do your own oil/filter and basic adjustments and relube pivot points etc, you have paid for the cost of the manual ;)
All further servicing/adjustments are FREE! excluding materials of course.
Personally I find "Haynes" type manuals interesting bedtime reading!
I cant say a factory manual with have pretty pictures though, but I can still see the benefit of one if you plan to keep the bike for a few years :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Cost in the U.S is $90 or there abouts. Maybe someone could get you one here and mail it to you?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Copyrights are taken seriously here. See http://www.stromtrooper.com/rules-forum-support-help-information-%5Bnot-motorcycle-related-questions%5D/48470-rules.html

Links to copyrighted materials such as unauthorized (by Suzuki) downloadable/ photocopied, etc manuals may result in a member being suspended or banned. Except for a CD-ROM version, DL650A SERVICE MANUAL (CD-ROM): 99560-36220-018 which can be found outside the USA, genuine Suzuki factory manuals are only available in print versions and are book bound with a glued spine. New ones are at least $80 USD.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yea, they are a bit spendy.
I paid about 160 for mine.
As others have said, if you do some or all of the service on your bike yourself they pay off in no time.
They also provide info that can help you avoid costly mistakes which is highly valuable IMHO.:furious:

I keep mine in the reading bin next to the toilet...>:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm definitely going to get one. I hate reading books but service manuals I love. I'm going to get one as I do enjoy checking valves and doing all types of work on my bikes, but I'm a bit hesitant to do to much as I also like warranties.
I know that for the dl1000a the only service manual is Suzuki but I've never had a manufacturer manual before, how do they compare to Haynes and Clymer?

·
38,103 Posts
Yep, repairmanual.com is a legit site.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
That's interesting, as they also sell one for the DL650 from a company called Cyclepedia for $50.00
So would that be a pirated copy of the original?

·
38,103 Posts
Cyclepedia is an independent producer like Haynes or Clymer. It is not a copy of the factory manual.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Save up your money and buy a legitimate factory service manual. It will pay for itself in 1 or 2 fixes you do yourself instead of taking it tot the dealer. I have bought one for almost every bike I ever had. They all paid for themselves.

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Got mine at a couple thousand miles and now have 99K. First used for fork disassembly and valve adj. Since then it has helped in a elec. short,swingarm(and suspension) disassembly,water pump replacement and now a engine swap. Cant imagine what all that would have cost. Ive spent about $750 over the years(Including the replacement motor.) in parts. Not much compared to the 2,000gal. of fuel at a $3.50 average($6500). 11rear tires and 7 fronts at an average of $90+($1500). 5 chains $120+ per.
Now going to tear apart the original motor and build it for a spare.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Haynes , I have found it good enough to do valve check and other basic service on a 650.
As long as you have a bit of basic mechanical knowledge and take your time all is good.

Regards John

·
Registered
387 Posts
Got mine at a couple thousand miles and now have 99K. First used for fork disassembly and valve adj. Since then it has helped in a elec. short,swingarm(and suspension) disassembly,water pump replacement and now a engine swap. Cant imagine what all that would have cost. Ive spent about $750 over the years(Including the replacement motor.) in parts. Not much compared to the 2,000gal. of fuel at a $3.50 average($6500). 11rear tires and 7 fronts at an average of $90+($1500). 5 chains $120+ per.
Now going to tear apart the original motor and build it for a spare.
Whoa... Serious RESPECT!! :smile2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts