StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04, 1000 & the owners manual says 24,000 km ( 14,900 miles) for a valve adjustment & spark plugs. Well since I just came back from a 6,000 km ( 3700 miles) ride in the Baja (mostly on the pavement) & the bike now has 16,000 km (9900 miles) on it I thought it was a good time for a valve set, plugs, change air filter & general good going over, all at once since the tank was off etc. My motor cycle shop (extremely talented non dealer) told me I was lucky I chose to check the valves then. All the valves clearances were less than specs & the exhaust valves had vurtually no clearance at all. He said that if I had waited until 24,000 km, I would have had burnt exhaust valves & a huge bill for repairs. The spark plugs were ok but while apart , do it all at once. During the Baja trip, I only found 1 loose bolt on the rear suspension & during the check up there were no other loose bolts or parts, so I think the bike is ok considering about a third of my mileage is on gravel roads & I ride double or have all the bags loaded a lot of the time.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
+1 for checking valves earlier than indicated. Tight indeed...replaced 6/8. Did this at 10k.

·
Registered
25 Posts
can anyone advise what to expect to fork out for a valve clearence check/adjustment from a steelership as Stromette puts them. I got my old cbr 900 adusted at 16000 miles and i remember thinking i got raped for the work.....and that was a few years ago! I realize my cbr had more valves to check being a 4-banger but for some reason I dont think that will matter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
cause for alarm ?

I appreciate your post but I'm not sure it is necessarily cause for concern.

The manufacturers set 'check/adjust' intervals based on relatively worst-case scenarios and finding vales that have less clearance than 'spec' does not mean the valve/vavle seats are in danger of damage.

The manufacturer sets the specs based on the premise that some valve seat wear occurs, and that when a bike is serviced, the owner can anticipate some valves will need shims. I would be concerned only if a valve has no remaining clearance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My Wee went in for valve adjust at about 15,000 miles last year and the service guy said they were on the nose-no adjust required. All the usual suspects were rounded up at the same time, except the air filter which he could not get, and it cost me about $175.00. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts