1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
23 Posts
If I might add one to the list, the Owls Head Transportation Museum in Owls Head, ME is having a vintage motorcycle weekend next weekend, Aug 30 and 31. Bikes pre-1994 get in and exhibit free, modern bikes are given another area somewhere to set up but have to pay admission (but the museum is pretty cool and well worth the money, not just cars but also some old motorcycles in their collection too.)

I was hoping to take my '85 Honda CB650 up but circumstances have shot that plan down so I'll be making the trip up on my Vee instead. Last time I was up there I ran into another Vee owner (L2 I think?) out of the blue in the parking lot, wouldn't mind seeing some stronger representation this weekend!

On the off chance anyone's interested in attending and is heading up from MA, PM me and maybe we can coordinate our travel times to ride up together.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm not heading up from MA, but I'd like to go. I'm facing some medical problems, if I'm able to ride, I'll probably be there........td

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was just looking at the Owls Head event. I am almost 100% on heading up to main this weekend from the Boston area, not sure exact times though. It would be cool to ride up with some folks if timing works out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glad to see some interest here! I'll keep my fingers crossed that we get to meet up with you, td.

beax06, at this point I think my plans have solidified that I'm heading up to Maine on Friday sometime after lunch, stopping in Augusta to crash (figuratively) at a friend's place for the night then heading the rest of the way to the coast in the morning. I'd probably be willing to wait until as late as 3pm or so to leave from my area up on the north shore, don't know if that would work for you.

Either way, look for my silver K4 with its bright yellow Wolfman saddlebags!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have Friday off, so riding up wouldn't be much of a problem, I just have to find out if I can get into the place I'm staying this weekend early. Originally planning to ride up sat morning early. I'll PM you if I can make it work heading up Friday. If not, look for my white 'wee w/givi trekker luggage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds good, I'll keep an eye out for PMs. My silver Vee will be dressed up in her Givi topcase and Wolfman bags if we can't hook up on Friday.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also throwing out here, the show at Owl's Head ends at 3pm so I'm thinking of taking a trip a little farther up the coast to Camden to ride the auto road up to the top of Mt. Battie. Not a terribly exciting mountain by any means, but as I recall (granted I was last there probably 15 years ago) you still get a pretty good view from the top of Penobscot Bay.

Looks like it'll cost $4.50 to get into the park, think it'd be pretty cool to get at least a couple folks together for a photo op or something!

Camden Hills State Park

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well unfortunately, through some really bad luck....I won't be able to head out tomorrow. I still may make it to the owls head show on saturday, but will have to do it as a straight shot that morning. I hope to make it and see some V's.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well if you didn't get over to Owls Head on Saturday, you missed me and TNKRPLT Pete and WOODENTOY Bill.
Not to mention some awesome bikes. Some brought back good memories but for me there were a few old Indians and a Vincent that someone drove to the show. Impressive. Quite a few really nice Honda CB fours in great shape and various sizes.
Lots to see so little time. I think I got a sunburn too.
Thanks again Bill. Pete that was a great spot you found for the lobster roll.
DannyC.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't get to Owl's Head, I want to do it when I can stay overnight. I ended up going to Killington VT at the Killington Çlassic, a very small rally, but Yamaha and Ducati had demo rides, rode a Multistrada and Monster 1200s.

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
I didn't get to Owl's Head, I want to do it when I can stay overnight. I ended up going to Killington VT at the Killington Çlassic, a very small rally, but Yamaha and Ducati had demo rides, rode a Multistrada and Monster 1200s.
Hey om28. I went on Sunday to the Killington Classic and rode a Yamaha FZ-09. I did not know Ducati had demo's. How was the Monster 1200? Ducati is coming out with the Monster 800, and the write ups have been great. How was the Multistrada? Not a huge turnout on Sunday, as the weather was not great.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey om28. I went on Sunday to the Killington Classic and rode a Yamaha FZ-09. I did not know Ducati had demo's. How was the Monster 1200? Ducati is coming out with the Monster 800, and the write ups have been great. How was the Multistrada? Not a huge turnout on Sunday, as the weather was not great.
Ducati was with the vendors, just up the street from Yamaha. I was disappointed with the Multi, I had to rev it to get into the power, which unfortunately is where it starts to really vibrate. I was expecting a much plusher suspension considering it's so high tech, needs a taller windshield, and the seat was bothering me by the end of the test ride, I was happy to get off. The Monster was HUGE FUN, smoother, power anywhere over 3k RPM, handled great, sounded great with aftermarket pipe, and oddly a very comfortable seat, I loved it. OK, back to motorcycle shows......Rice O Rama is Sunday, a great show if you like vintage Japanese bikes.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rice O Rama was great, a new, larger venue tis year with more of everything. It was kind of like 3 shows, the amazing bikes in the parking lot, amazing bikes (and parts) for sale in the vendor section, and the show itself. It was 1975 all over again, here's a few pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A Few More pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pics from the Italian show in Sturbridge MA on another beautiful Sunday.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice shots, om28. Planning to head up to Salisbury on Sunday if all goes as planned.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great, I'll keep an eye out for your bike, I'll be on a silver Wee with Givi tankbag.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Made it up to Pettengill a little late, work tracked me down just as I was about to hit the road, arrived a little after noon. Honestly I was a little underwhelmed, having never been there I was expecting more bikes than there were, but still some pretty cool ones to check out including some real old-timers, I think I saw a real old Royal Enfield from the 1910's hiding in the back. Also came across a BMW K1100 with a Flexit Sidecar attached to it out in the parking lot/field, I can safely say I haven't seen one of those before...

Caught up with some friends who rode up on their Vespas and Lambrettas - as they told it they ran into some troubles with road rage on the way up from the north shore including the involvement of a machete at some point. I think all that two-stroke exhaust must've started getting to them...

The flea market was sight to see, though. Luckily being on the bike I had a handy excuse not to pick up anything large. Capped the day off with one of the best chicken burritos I've had the pleasure of meeting courtesy of the Metzy's Taqueria truck on the grounds - definitely going to have to check them out again.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts