StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally bite the bullet and buy a 10s. Now i read that the utility app for android is crap. Is it still usable?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I picked up the 10S and like it. The app works well for the iPhone.

·
Super Moderator
16,866 Posts
Apps aside why the 20 over the 10?
Better design, better cradle, more range, more battery time, better sound, radio receiver. I'm sure I've forgotten a few things, but I also own a 10S as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Better design, better cradle, more range, more battery time, better sound, radio receiver. I'm sure I've forgotten a few things, but I also own a 10S as well.
I'm getting the 10S as a Christmas present (found out accidentally). I did have the 20S on my Amazon Wishlist. Haven't dared say that "you got the wrong one".

How much better is the battery time? That and the sound quality is what would be important to me. Where I often ride where I'd be using it there are no radio stations, nor is there any mobile phone and therefore, internet coverage. So, it'll be streaming either podcasts or music from my iPhone 6+.

No-one else whom I know has any sort of helmet comms, so interaction between other devices isn't an issue.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm getting the 10S as a Christmas present (found out accidentally). I did have the 20S on my Amazon Wishlist. Haven't dared say that "you got the wrong one".

How much better is the battery time? That and the sound quality is what would be important to me. Where I often ride where I'd be using it there are no radio stations, nor is there any mobile phone and therefore, internet coverage. So, it'll be streaming either podcasts or music from my iPhone 6+.

No-one else whom I know has any sort of helmet comms, so interaction between other devices isn't an issue.
A friend has a 10s, we've been out for rides of 10+ hours. His battery life is not that much shorter then mine.
For the radio, my reception is crap even when in town, the sena voice announcing the channels on the 20s is so loud, and keeps blasting even though i keep lowering it, that i think it busted one of my speakers.

The 10s was a good buy, even before the firmware update.

I love a good podcast or a stand up comic late at night, when i'm tired of listening to music lol.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the SMH10 and it works well, haven't felt the need to upgrade. It can be used when charging, I keep the 12v plug in my saddlebag in case it dies during a ride.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well i took a 2800 mile trip with the 10s. The phone works great with good volume. Tried to listen to npr podcast. Couldn't hear it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have the SMH10 and it works well, haven't felt the need to upgrade. It can be used when charging, I keep the 12v plug in my saddlebag in case it dies during a ride.
I have the SMH10 also. It works great. Battery lasts all day when communicating with other riders. I have paired it with a 20s with great results several times. Had to buy a new battery off Amazon for one of the units. Be careful, I broke the pins on one of the SMH10 some how.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Is the SMH10 different to the 10S or the same model, but different naming (different markets)?
It's a different model, with a new feature, FM reception. The electronics module has a revised, slimmer package design, (but it fits into the same helmet-mounted receptacle as the SMH10.) Sena claims longer range for it, which I cannot confirm, having only used it with SMH10 users.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Went on my first big ride last weekend. Covered around 1,400km (about 800 miles) around what we call the Victorian High Country region, north eastern Victoria in Australia. Lots of twisties, sweepers and some highway miles were covered.

I gave the Sena 10S a good workout. I didn't make any phone calls but I did receive a couple. The other end couldn't hear any wind noise and my voice was clear to them, just as they were to me over the racket that the wind was making, even with ear plugs in.

Streaming podcasts worked well, too. Sadly, little reception for its FM radio where I was going. The 10S is paired to my iPhone 6+. The phone was in a seat bag with a USB to Lightning cable supplied from an accessorie lead under the seat. I kept the Sena charged using its included charging cable which plugs into the V-Stroms power outlet.

On the way home on the third day I didn't bother with charging the unit using this cable. It was fully charged when we left for home in the morning. 6hrs later when I got home it was still operating. I don't know what its battery capacity is or was, but with the charging cable it makes that point moot.

I forgot to put the foam covers over the speaker. So, this meant that the left speaker, which I think wasn't positioned properly in the helmet's recess, was rubbing against my earlobe, making it ache after an hour or so of wearing the lid. I checked the helmet lining and repositioned the speaker which made it better, but still annoying. When I got home I put the covers on and tried it. Much better.

Anyway, I'd recommend it. I haven't tried rider to pillion or bike to bike intercoms as no-one else had one. But a friend has three of them. One for him, one for his daughter and a third for another friend who were using them a while back on another ride. Bike comms between the three of them was great, he told me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I went with the SMH-10 for the aux input. My wife uses an mp3 player. Was going to cheap-it-out and just get one for her since Sena claims they will pair with any bluetooth device, but opted to buy 2. That way I know how it works when she can't figure it out.

Will get around to installing them sometime this week.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts