StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I know all these questions have been asked & answered before so if you can point me to other forums that's cool, I appreciate any/all suggestions.

I love the BMW, BUT, the cost of maintenance, lack of dealer support, weight for the backroads & fireroads type of riding I like, plus having just ridden a vstrom have me ready to sell and buy!
so here go a few questions

1) Type of ridding will be 40 miles round trip commute approx 6 months of year. I am not a speed nut, commute, backroads, fireroads in that order
2) Cross wind issues?
3) Cost and schedule of scheduled maint?
4) Durability if/when dropped?
5) I am 5'11 210, cannot flat foot, close, do I really want a 1000, they feel/sit very similar?
6) What "must" have farkles are recommended?

Appreciate it...

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I sold my 2004 1150GS and bought a new 2007 DL650. I have put more miles on my DL than my GS, but I spent more on maintenance and service on the GS than the maintenance AND all my add-ons for the DL combined! Plus, I have 5 Suzuki dealers within the same distance as my BMW dealer.

I loved my GS while I had it, but the DL650 is a much easier bike to own and enjoy. Having come from a the GS, you'll want to add a few things (heated grips, Madstad bracket, better screen, better seat, center stand) but once you have the V-Strom set up, I don't think you'll miss the BMW at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sold my 2004 1150GS and bought a new 2007 DL650. I have put more miles on my DL than my GS, but I spent more on maintenance and service on the GS than the maintenance AND all my add-ons for the DL combined! Plus, I have 5 Suzuki dealers within the same distance as my BMW dealer.

I loved my GS while I had it, but the DL650 is a much easier bike to own and enjoy. Having come from a the GS, you'll want to add a few things (heated grips, Madstad bracket, better screen, better seat, center stand) but once you have the V-Strom set up, I don't think you'll miss the BMW at all.
Thanks Satch, confirming my thoughts!!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
How much does maint. run on a BMW? I'm looking at a couple of the models, 1200rt and the adventure version. I'm not sure if they are even a factor, only one dealer in this state! Next closest dealer is over 100 miles. The dealer I went to told me maint. was very minimal, I know they will tell you anything while sales are what they are now, just curious. BB

·
Registered
234 Posts
I stopped by my local BMW/Triumph dealer. They have the Tiger and GS sitting facing each other and I felt really tempted. I have an '08 Vee and sales dork said that he would give me $8100 trade in. Told him I would think about it and went to look at some pants, friend at parts counter said that I would be stupid to trade unless I just couldn't live without the other bike. My summer is spent on the bike and I was told that the only thing the Vee would need is gas and oil changes. Bought pants and rode away on my Vee.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
How much does maint. run on a BMW? I'm looking at a couple of the models, 1200rt and the adventure version. I'm not sure if they are even a factor, only one dealer in this state! Next closest dealer is over 100 miles. The dealer I went to told me maint. was very minimal, I know they will tell you anything while sales are what they are now, just curious. BB

Horrible at least for the GS. The two riders I know well it would have run to many thousands if it hadn't been covered by the warantee - though that didn't help with the downtime (in one case ~6 months over two years).

Problems I've seen in new (< 2 yr) GS1200's, broken tooth in 2nd gear, final drive failure, ABS servo (x2) and a wierd electrical gremlin that I don't think they ever solved. (Dash would go blank).

Pete

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wee

I have a 07 Blue Wee, it came with OEM bags and centerstand, I have added a group buy CBaileytaller screen and Madstadt braket for the screen. I found a used OEM topcase on this site for $90 including shipping. Last year I put about 5k miles on the bike, and only had to put out gas and oil change money. I sold my Airhead, because of parts and lack of dealer support. I am 5-10 and about 220lbs, I have no problem getting my feet on the ground. The Wee is a great bike for my 120 mi. commute. I have a couple more things I will add to help with the hiway miles I ride, a fenda extenda, keep stuff from hitting the oil coller, and a fork brace to help steady the Wee in the crosswinds. Pick the farkles you need to start, add the other goodies when you can. Just ride and ride safe! Dave:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
From a GSA to a Wee

I owned an 06 GSA, and my experience with it led me to get something lighter and less top heavy. The BMW, while a great bike, is just not for everyone. I had to experience the "macho" image of having one. It is one of the toughest looking bikes out there, but, way to big for me. The Wee is pefect, I can do any maintenance on it, and the dealer network , if needed,is no problem when traveling. The power to weight ratio is great, so for me there was no need to get the more pwerful V. The money you save on the front end of the purchase will allow you to trick the bike out with a ton of after market items, and still have money in your pocket when the dust settles. I purchsed my 07 Wee used, with only 4400 miles on the clock. I love it and will be ridng it in an Iron Butt event May 16th in Virginia.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I stopped by my local BMW/Triumph dealer. They have the Tiger and GS sitting facing each other and I felt really tempted. I have an '08 Vee and sales dork said that he would give me $8100 trade in. Told him I would think about it and went to look at some pants, friend at parts counter said that I would be stupid to trade unless I just couldn't live without the other bike. My summer is spent on the bike and I was told that the only thing the Vee would need is gas and oil changes. Bought pants and rode away on my Vee.
Were you tempted by the Triumph or the Beemer? I've always liked the Tiger myself and it fits me (ergo wise) to a T. That said, I'm thrilled with my DL650a.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
You'll need these

A fork brace. Don't ride an inch without one.
A set of crash bars. Just in case.
MadStad Adjustable Windshield Mount. Must have.
Gas & Go>>>>>>>> yer done here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Set of crash bars (I have Givi) They really work. I dumped it at an intersection last week no harm at all to body just scratched bars and helmet. Murphs lowering links (I'm 5'8" still cant quite flat foot but can get alot more of both feet on the ground). I commute 47 miles one way 5-6 months dirt roads and black top. It's stable in the wind. I am going to get a center stand and am working on a sheepskin seat cover. hope this helps:)

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
I can't speak to the reliability of BMWs (haven't ridden one in 25 years) but the Wee is a pretty reliable beast as you have probably noted reading this forum.

I commute about 9 months out of the year, 70 mile round trip on the freeways.

As for farkles . . .

Safety Farkles - engine guards, headlight modulator, tail light modulator

Performance Farkles - Fork brace

My experience has been that most of the wind buffeting is related to riding in traffic where you are in the dirty air from multiple other vehicles. I keep my stock windshield in the lower position. This means the air is hitting me right up about the shoulders so I get some ventilation in warm weather yet I'm not having to hang on to the bars in the breeze.

I recently added Rick's fork brace and not only does the bike corner better, there seems to be less sensitivity to cross winds.

Six weeks ago I rode up the cost to Carmel and back in 25 MPH winds gusting to 60 without any real trouble at all.

·
Banned
307 Posts
2) Cross wind issues? Yeah
3) Cost and schedule of scheduled maint? High
4) Durability if/when dropped? Low
5) I am 5'11 210, cannot flat foot, close, do I really want a 1000, they feel/sit very similar? Yeah
6) What "must" have farkles are recommended? Luggage

·
Registered
174 Posts
I used to own a R1150R and it was a nice bike but if I don't miss it at all since I got my wee strom. When I used to read the 1150 boards most of the conversations were maintenance and repair related. On this board the discussions about chronic problems and failures are rare at best. Most of the conversations are about what farkel to get next and where you have been riding. Oh yeah the fork brace really does work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for comments

yep I'll be selling the GS. I love the darn thing but just can't enjoy riding due to the items noted in this thread....
I just can't find a 650 with ABS!!!!

Thanks again for all the comments

·
Registered
528 Posts
I can not speak about the GS, but I did sell my 1100 RT to get my Wee, so I do know something about BMW.
My main complaint with the BMW was the weight. My old worn out knees really like the Wee. My obsessive soul LOVES not worring about the possibility of being stranded by a failed final drive or transmission 200 plus miles from the closest dealer. (and their dealer network is ever shrinking) Then only to find out the cost to repair the transmission will be around $2000, or $800 for the final drive, if and when they can get the parts from Germany, and fit the repair into their already busy (so many break downs) shop schedule.
My wallet likes opening up for farkles and way less expensive service work, instead of saving up for the scheduled 6,000 mile minor and 12,000 major services at the tune of $400-$700 respectivly. Yes I know I could do my own work (I do, and did) I am just making a point here.

Any way, if I had to do it again knowing what I know now...I would have gone directly from my SV 650 to the Wee.

Do not get me wrong, the BMW was a good bike, the BMW riders are among the best folks I have ever met, and I made some great friends that ride BMW. I am just the type of person that likes stability/reliability and for me BMW was not it.

I would say get out from under the BMW as soon as you can...Good luck. See ya down the road, not in the repair shop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts