StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Strommers,

I'll sadly have to sell my Weestrom in a couple of months. (I'm returning home to Australia.)

Is it easy enough to transfer registration in the United States? If so, I'll probably just sell it in Seattle and let the new owner sort out the registration transfer. If it's a hassle, i'll have to look at riding back down to CA to sell it there.

Cheers.

G

·
As long as it is a US-spec bike (I notice you're in Canada) registered in a US state, state-to-state swaps are common. No issues selling a CA bike in WA.

Good luck!

Tom

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom. Yes I'm staying up in Canada at the moment but the bike was bought and is still registered in CA, so I'll be riding back down to the US to sell it. Will probably just try my luck finding a buyer in Seattle in October.

Cheers mate!

· Registered
218 Posts
All you will need is the registration and title for the new owner. You will write a bill of sale including vin# and amount the new buyer paid. The new buyer will register the sale and pay sales tax on the purchase price. If you do not have the title then you will have to check with the lien holder to see how hey would like you to proceed.

· Registered
1,271 Posts
I have heard it's a total pain in the A$$ to sell a Canadian bike to a US resident.

Between myself and my Dad, we've exported at least 10 bikes/cars into Canada over the last 3 years, but understood it to be a lot more of a hassle the other way around.

About the only reason anyone would entertain buying a bike from Canada, who lives in the US, is if it's a really special model that cannot be found there.......what other compelling reason would there be, it sure aint price.

Let is know how you make out, have never known anyone to do it, besides dealers years ago.

FYI - People in the US who offer advice, talking about titles, clearly have no idea.

Disregard all of the above is "CA" means California, and not Canada, LOL!

· Registered
2,284 Posts
All you will need is the registration and title for the new owner. You will write a bill of sale including vin# and amount the new buyer paid. The new buyer will register the sale and pay sales tax on the purchase price. If you do not have the title then you will have to check with the lien holder to see how hey would like you to proceed.
the title acts as the bill of sale. fill out everything and sign it and you're done. if you were staying state side you would need a release of liability submitted to the DMV showing that you no longer own the vehicle. you do this in case new owner never registers it and does something to which liability would fall on registered owner. in fact it might be a good idea to do that even though you're heading out.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL. Yes I meant California - CA. Sorry about the confusion. I'm deciding whether to ride down there from Canada to sell it before leaving the continent... or just stop in Seattle to sell it there. It has California registration. If there were big costs or it's a hassle to transfer registration between states, then I'd ride down. But it seems it's not too big a deal. I have clear title, bill of sale etc so should be sweet. Next trick will be finding a buyer in a city I haven't arrived in yet!

Thanks for your help guys.

· Registered
7,576 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.