StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
People are fishing for corona deals right now.
Still too early for the deals to really start. The market has yet to be flooded with "toys".

Had a 93 FZR600 to sell before picking up the vstrom. I got the bike on trade at the dealer and took a HUGE hit for doing so. Had to have it though, it was my childhood dream bike. Sorted out carb issues, brakes, ect... but nonetheless, I was in need of something more practical again. I had it listed only for a day or so before getting bites. First guy came out and test rode around the parking lot, said purple wasn't really his thing (it was the original purple with white wheels, looked quite nice) and that was that.. the pictures were in the add so....
Next guy came out, took it for a rip down the road without asking if I was cool with that. I wasn't but it wasn't so big a deal. Came back and started complaining that the bars didnt feel right. I had adjusted the clip-ons out a bit as I'm a taller guy and it felt better.. just an adjustment, they go right back, he just wanted an excuse - cool, thanks for wasting my time (i lived right around the corner anyway)
Day after this a kid wrote me low balling me by a few hundred less than I wanted to sell for. At this point I was done, the kid would get a reliable bike and I would pick up mine. Came out with I assume his father with a truck. Takes it around the parking lot - cool. Sold it for the previously agreed amount and away they go...

That was a saturday. DMV no longer open. The next day I was having a BBQ with the family when a cop walks up. Asks if my bike was stolen. "No sir, just sold it yesterday evening, why?" Kid had swapped on a plate from his fathers bike and took off. Cop saw him passing illegally and gave chase. I had spoken to the cop a week later for comment, he had asked if it was running alright as the kid didnt really run away that fast. Shoot, that bike ran like a raped ape once I had gone through it, kid was green I guess or got scared. Honestly, I wouldn't run anyway and told the cop such so who knows what the kid was thinking.

Turns out, kid had no license, no insurance (was still under my insurance till Monday so that would have sucked if it hit me) and was in possession and under the influence of marijuana. Bike was impounded, kid sat in jail for a few weeks till his cort date. I often wonder if I should have seen about getting that bike back through auction or something. I still had a spare key so that would have been something.
I'm not sure how your insurance would still cover the bike after its sold. I can understand the policy not being cancelled until after the sale but that wouldn't make it valid to the new owner. This is why bills of sale are good even if not required. Buyer, seller and witness printed name and then signature verifying purchase price, VIN, time and date.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Still too early for the deals to really start. The market has yet to be flooded with "toys".
not flooded yet but the deals are certainly out there. Lots of people have been unemployed for closing in on 3 months now. To me though trying to take advantage of someone in the current situation is just plain wrong and I wouldn't do it. I can see the flip side of you are helping the person, getting cash to keep house, feed kids, etc but in that case just pay fair market value.

I like to buy / sell and try to flip for a profit, but just can't do it right now and who knows how long i'd have to hold on to the bike if the market tanks before I can sell.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
not flooded yet but the deals are certainly out there. Lots of people have been unemployed for closing in on 3 months now. To me though trying to take advantage of someone in the current situation is just plain wrong and I wouldn't do it. I can see the flip side of you are helping the person, getting cash to keep house, feed kids, etc but in that case just pay fair market value.

I like to buy / sell and try to flip for a profit, but just can't do it right now and who knows how long i'd have to hold on to the bike if the market tanks before I can sell.
Lot of harleys on CL locally, but not a lot of other things. I'd say that locally the bikes (non harley) and boats are listing for normal money. But if you see a deal, I wouldn't feel bad about buying something that someone is trying to sell.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't give an address (I do give out general neighbourhood) until I get a phone or text telling me they are on their way. If they want the bike, but brought not enough cash, I tell them to give me a deposit, and come back to pay the rest and take the bike. That works about half the time. I never hang around the house waiting for someone to show up, "maybe Thursday afternoon".

Reactions: Wreckster

·
Registered
33 Posts

I'm not sure how your insurance would still cover the bike after its sold. I can understand the policy not being cancelled until after the sale but that wouldn't make it valid to the new owner. This is why bills of sale are good even if not required. Buyer, seller and witness printed name and then signature verifying purchase price, VIN, time and date.
If the vehicle is still insured by you and they wreck it or cause damage with it, it can still hit your insurance I'm told, as regardless of sale they still insure it. You also can't cancel insurance till plates are surrendered, so sales on weekends proceed with caution. Good tip is to meet at the DMV to make exchange if possible, not always easy I know.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
If the vehicle is still insured by you and they wreck it or cause damage with it, it can still hit your insurance I'm told, as regardless of sale they still insure it. You also can't cancel insurance till plates are surrendered, so sales on weekends proceed with caution. Good tip is to meet at the DMV to make exchange if possible, not always easy I know.
One of those weird states where you keep your plates I guess?
Around here and in the neighboring states, the plates go with the vehicle unless you have personalized plates.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
PA the plate AKA registration is assigned to the person. When the vehicle is sold the plate is to returned to the state or used by the person on another vehicle in kind.

I got burned on time on turning plates in. I sold a Moto Guzzi with antique plates. 2 years later I was getting bills from NH as the plate crossed mutiple toll bridges without paying. It took a trip the PennDOT where I showed them the bike was sold years prior and they said it was impossible that they reissued the plate as it was still in my name. After about an hour of waiting they apologized and said my plate was never killed in my name but was reissued to another person. I said that great and fixes my problem but what about the guy you reissued them too to who is running around not knowing he is getting tickets that turn into warrants for his arrest for delinquent tolls. They really clammed up. I got my letter saying the bike was not mine, I send a copy to NH and have not heard anything since.

Now if I turn in a plate I mangle it so it cannot be mistakenly be put in the to be used pile. It have to go the remanufacture pile.

·
Registered
650 Posts
a long time ago in a state where the plates stay with the vehicle and you just change the registration I had a boss who sold a hot rod car to his brother. the brother neglected to register the hot rod in his name and kept out running cops who only got the plate number. so my boss was in trouble with the cops. this was like 8 months after the sale. my boss had to get a lawyer to deal with it. So that way of doing plates was not without problems. kind of a lousy brother, but I have a brother who is just as bad.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
a long time ago in a state where the plates stay with the vehicle and you just change the registration I had a boss who sold a hot rod car to his brother. the brother neglected to register the hot rod in his name and kept out running cops who only got the plate number. so my boss was in trouble with the cops. this was like 8 months after the sale. my boss had to get a lawyer to deal with it. So that way of doing plates was not without problems. kind of a lousy brother, but I have a brother who is just as bad.

Cheers

RLBranson
When you sell a vehicle here there is a website that you go to and enter the title number and the person who bought it. That way if someone doesn't register it, it is not your problem

·
Registered
579 Posts
Here in the Netherlands the plates go with the vehicle - no vanity plates here.

Procedure for sale of a vehicle is as follows:
1. Agree on the sale, buyer hands over the money, either cash or electronically.
2. Seller hands over the paperwork to transfer the title, but not the keys yet.
3. Buyer goes to the equivalent of the DMV, or a DMV representative (can also be done at post offices and a few other places, even on weekends, and even online in most cases), registers the vehicle in his name. Receives back paperwork that the title has been transferred, usually immediately. From this moment on the buyer is responsible for obtaining the legal minimum insurance, any fines and the MOT.
(3a. Buyer also calls his insurance to get the insurance going. Normally you can start the initial insurance by a simple phonecall, with the paperwork to be finished later.)
4. Buyer hands over the title transfer confirmation to the seller, seller hands over the keys. Buyer drives away.
(4a. Seller calls insurance agency to cancel the insurance.)

If you do your homework and know where the nearest DMV representative is (there's a shop that's open 7 days a week, <10 min walk from my house), the full transaction can be completed in less than 30 minutes. I have not done an online title transfer yet but from the description it seems like if both parties have their ducks in a row it'll be less than 10 minutes overall.

Cost of a title transfer: €10,40 (about 12 USD)

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
In Pennsylvania.

1. Price is agree too
2. Buy pays seller
3. Buyer and seller go to notary with title. Seller signs title in front of notary and walks out the door. Bike is no longer legally the sellers property
4. Buyer if he want to register it for the street declares value to pay tax on. Then proves he has it insured (if you give the VIN number to you insurer they will write a policy prior to actual transaction)
5. Buyer signs title pays notary fee, tax and registration.
6.Walks out with temporary registration and a new license plate (unless they had an old plate they want to use)

If the buyer does not want to register the title bike right away he fills in the buyer information on the title and signs it in front of the notary. He pays $5 walks out of the notary with the title signed by both the seller/buyer and signatures notarized. Bike is legally his. He can register at anytime afterwards as long as he pay stat tax, registration fee;s and has it insured.

It a 30 minute or less process for us too.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
In Pennsylvania.
In California, you download a "Release of Liability" form.
  • The buyer info is entered.
  • The buyer signs it.
  • The seller mails it to the DMV.

·
Registered
268 Posts
When I’m listing on Craigslist, I always put in big letters “reply by email with a phone number- emails with no phone numbers will be ignored”. No phone number, no response.

When someone gives me a “what’s the lowest you’ll take?” I always respond with “what’s the highest you’ll pay?”

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
In California, you download a "Release of Liability" form.
  • The buyer info is entered.
  • The buyer signs it.
  • The seller mails it to the DMV.
If memory serves in California the seller also get the pleasure of paying back registration fee's if buyer let it lapse and the seller didn't negotiate the back fee's into the sale price.

Bikes also have to have the factory emission stickers on the bike and legible. Also any emission junk like the evap canister and related hoses must be intact.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If memory serves in California the seller also get the pleasure of paying back registration fee's if buyer let it lapse and the seller didn't negotiate the back fee's into the sale price.

Bikes also have to have the factory emission stickers on the bike and legible. Also any emission junk like the evap canister and related hoses must be intact.
In CA, pretty sure back fees are on the buyer. Release of Liability can be done online on the day of the sale. I just bought an out of state bike and had the VIN verified at a DMV sanctioned registration service. They did look for the emissions sticker but had no interest in evap or anything else.
I’ve sold 2 bikes in the past 3 years. Best quality prospects have come from Facebook Marketplace and Cycle Trader. Craigslist has brought 95% scammers. Regardless, lowball offers and no-shows are a reality. Don’t take it personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
In CA, pretty sure back fees are on the buyer. Release of Liability can be done online on the day of the sale. I just bought an out of state bike and had the VIN verified at a DMV sanctioned registration service. They did look for the emissions sticker but had no interest in evap or anything else.
I’ve sold 2 bikes in the past 3 years. Best quality prospects have come from Facebook Marketplace and Cycle Trader. Craigslist has brought 95% scammers. Regardless, lowball offers and no-shows are a reality. Don’t take it personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think California cares who pays the back registration as long as it paid. If the seller has not paid back registration and the buyer goes to register the bike someone will have to satisfy the debt prior the state issuing registration. Its unlikely at this point that the buyer would be successful going back to the seller asking for some money back to pay for back registration.

Agreed on CL being a wasteland now and FBMP is now a much better place to sell.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
I don't think California cares who pays the back registration as long as it paid. If the seller has not paid back registration and the buyer goes to register the bike someone will have to satisfy the debt prior the state issuing registration. Its unlikely at this point that the buyer would be successful going back to the seller asking for some money back to pay for back registration.

Agreed on CL being a wasteland now and FBMP is now a much better place to sell.
The proviso to that is if the buyer titles out of state then that whole back tax mess goes away.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
In MN the sale process is
1) Buyer gives me money
2) I give them a signed title with the corner torn off that they have written their information on (Name/Address/Drivers License Number) and give them the bike/car/trailer with the plates on it. If the vehicle ever had a loan on it then I also give them the lien release that shows it had been paid off (title has a lien indication on it with the lien holder name)
3) I go to a website and enter in the information from #2 (Or mail it in)
4) Buyer goes to DMV with the title and registers it in their name - pays the transfer fee

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
But I think if the bike ever goes back to the People's Republic of Kali it subject to back fee's and emission compliance IE stickers and evap. systems.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts