StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Honestly I'm getting to the point where I'd consider just taking whatever I might get offered on it as a trade-in, just to save the hassle.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Honestly I'm getting to the point where I'd consider just taking whatever I might get offered on it as a trade-in, just to save the hassle.
It isn't for everyone. I buy and sell most of our toys on craigslist. Pretty rare that the ones we are selling are there for long - mostly because they are priced reasonably (plus the extra few bucks everyone wants to take off so they feel like they got a deal). However we buy them all reasonably priced too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
So, I've got a 2013 Yamaha Fazer 8 in the garage I'm looking to unload.
Put up an ad in Kijiji. Covered everything, including the relatively (IMO, of course) damage from a low speed fall.
Priced it just under the cheapest, higher mileage, FZ8 (not Fazer 8, which was more expensive new), at CAD$3700.
Do I have to go lower? Probably, but that's not the story here.

Man, where do these people come from? Sample of messages:
"2500 and I can come tmrw with cash". It's been listed for less than a day and looking for a $1200 drop (roughly 1/3 off asking?)
"what is your final price will be if I will pay u cash?"
"what's the lowest you would go on the price?"

Lowballers. Expected.

Guys who want me to lowball myself - make me a freaking offer, at least.

What's with the guys mentioning cash like it's magic? I'm a private seller of a bike. Of course I expect cash or better, a bank draft from a local bank to my name made out that day. I'm not extending financing. What else would I expect other than basically cash? Personal cheque? Who TF writes those anymore, anyway, not that I would take one. Installment plan? Yeah, no.
They are called "Kijidiots" for a reason. You'll list a $100 item for $10 and they'll offer $1 CASH. I just went through this with 2 bikes. Like you said, cash or a certified cheque/bank draft (same as cash) is expected. How else would you pay? Kijidiots...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm giving it two weeks, max. If it's not sold by the end of this weekend I'll pull the ad and re-list (bumping it up in the listings) at a lower price.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I enjoy selling stuff online. When they ask me what's the lowest I'll go I ask them what's the highest they are willing to spend most of the time it's a joke so I just say no thanks if they persist and they are still low balling me I tell them we aren't close enough fora meaningful conversation about price but I don't negotiate much.

No-shows drive me crazy but as a general rule I won't go out of my way to meet their schedule they have to accommodate mine. I'm more than happy to show the bike if you drive a couple hundred miles (they are more motivated) and I verify they are bringing cash plus I ask them you email me when they are leaving their home.

Generally I only email until I know they are serious, a guy recently offered me $5500 (I was asking $6k) I didn't take it, he tells me it's only worth $4250 per KBB I remind him he just offered me $5500 so it's worth at least that much I thanked him for making my point.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I sell a lot on kijiji. Most of the messages I get are late at night. The stuff I sell is random. It might be a cell phone, a portable washing machine, or just this week a ceramic kiln. When the offer is extremely low I will just say yes to it, and never answer any other messages. If the guy is a real asshole, and my item has sold already, I will accept the offer and send him to an address that does not exist...but on my street.
In the last month I sold 16 laptops. They were all the same model, I was asking 125 for each of them. Everyone else was selling them for over 200. Sales were going quickly, and people were offering 40$ promising to come during the week...lol. Some would contact me and the item would sell within an hour.
Dont be discouraged. Its a game and people try to take advantage. If you know what it is worth stick to your guns.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Every time I’ve sold a bike I’ve had countless low ballers, a fe serious inquires and one guy who just shows up with cash ready to buy. Lately when I get low ballers I just respond with “No.”

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, I've got one apparently serious buyer. had lots of questions. But he's planning to look at a couple other bikes, too.
But if someone shows up and offers me, say, 3500 before he comes to look, it's gone. Bird in the hand and all that.
Because I know from buying used, too, if you're serious and you think you see a good deal and you want it, you need to jump on it.
It may be that my starting price is too high thus why I'm not getting more serious offers so far. Then again, it might pick up nearer to the weekend again.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Asking me what my lowest price is without making an offer is not negotiating. Like I said, at least make me an offer. I'm not offended by someone offering me 2500, although I'm not interested in taking it at this point.
When buyers ask what the lowest price is I'll accept I ask them what is the maximum they'll willing to pay? That usually cuts off any more ridiculous questioning at the knee's.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I always tell people that’s it’s first come first serve. I have held a bike for a deposit before and it worked out great! The guy never showed up again and wouldn’t respond to messages. IMO, low ballers don’t have anything to do with price. I get the same amount of low ballers if I post high, low, firm or negotiable. The serious people will generally ask more about the bike and less about the price. When I am looking the only thing I will ask is if the price is negotiable, unless it is a long distance buy. In that case I want an agreed on price before I leave the house.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Well, I've got one apparently serious buyer. had lots of questions. But he's planning to look at a couple other bikes, too.
But if someone shows up and offers me, say, 3500 before he comes to look, it's gone. Bird in the hand and all that.
Because I know from buying used, too, if you're serious and you think you see a good deal and you want it, you need to jump on it.
It may be that my starting price is too high thus why I'm not getting more serious offers so far. Then again, it might pick up nearer to the weekend again.
You'll know if you asking price is too high if you don't get any inquiries. Until then its easy to lower your price as needed But impossibly to raise your price.

Aslo agreed on taking the 1st reasonable offer. My last bike I had a nice phone conversation with the seller and told him my offer was lower because I already had two of the same bikes. But for the right price I wouldn't mind another. I told him I was serious and would send a nonrefundable $500 deposit as I had to wait 2 days to travel. He said another feller was also interested and I said please call him and hopefully he buys it. That way the seller got more money and I didn't spend any. A few minutes later he called me back and said if I wanted the bike it was mine. For the couple hundred dollars difference he was tired of dealing with flaky people.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
People are fishing for corona deals right now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Had a 93 FZR600 to sell before picking up the vstrom. I got the bike on trade at the dealer and took a HUGE hit for doing so. Had to have it though, it was my childhood dream bike. Sorted out carb issues, brakes, ect... but nonetheless, I was in need of something more practical again. I had it listed only for a day or so before getting bites. First guy came out and test rode around the parking lot, said purple wasn't really his thing (it was the original purple with white wheels, looked quite nice) and that was that.. the pictures were in the add so....
Next guy came out, took it for a rip down the road without asking if I was cool with that. I wasn't but it wasn't so big a deal. Came back and started complaining that the bars didnt feel right. I had adjusted the clip-ons out a bit as I'm a taller guy and it felt better.. just an adjustment, they go right back, he just wanted an excuse - cool, thanks for wasting my time (i lived right around the corner anyway)
Day after this a kid wrote me low balling me by a few hundred less than I wanted to sell for. At this point I was done, the kid would get a reliable bike and I would pick up mine. Came out with I assume his father with a truck. Takes it around the parking lot - cool. Sold it for the previously agreed amount and away they go...

That was a saturday. DMV no longer open. The next day I was having a BBQ with the family when a cop walks up. Asks if my bike was stolen. "No sir, just sold it yesterday evening, why?" Kid had swapped on a plate from his fathers bike and took off. Cop saw him passing illegally and gave chase. I had spoken to the cop a week later for comment, he had asked if it was running alright as the kid didnt really run away that fast. Shoot, that bike ran like a raped ape once I had gone through it, kid was green I guess or got scared. Honestly, I wouldn't run anyway and told the cop such so who knows what the kid was thinking.

Turns out, kid had no license, no insurance (was still under my insurance till Monday so that would have sucked if it hit me) and was in possession and under the influence of marijuana. Bike was impounded, kid sat in jail for a few weeks till his cort date. I often wonder if I should have seen about getting that bike back through auction or something. I still had a spare key so that would have been something.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Don't let the CL crazies get you too wrapped up. It comes with the territory. As long as you know they are there, it can be kinda funny and you can even have fun with it. String a couple of the idiots along, not too much but a little for entertainment.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You'll know if you asking price is too high if you don't get any inquiries. Until then its easy to lower your price as needed But impossibly to raise your price.
It's far from impossible I did it last week, initially I had my FJR for sale for $4000 for 2 weeks I was negotiable but the more I thought about it I decided I'd rerun the ad, raise the price to $4500 plus I wouldn't budge on the price. I had 3 guys that were real interested and wihin 24 hours I had a $200 deposit it sold the next day no test ride or anything the guy came from out of state so he was committed. I bought the bike for $3200 a year previous.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
It's far from impossible I did it last week, initially I had my FJR for sale for $4000 for 2 weeks I was negotiable but the more I thought about it I decided I'd rerun the ad, raise the price to $4500 plus I wouldn't budge on the price. I had 3 guys that were real interested and wihin 24 hours I had a $200 deposit it sold the next day no test ride or anything the guy came from out of state so he was committed. I bought the bike for $3200 a year previous.
I do it with boats. In Jan the price is lower than it is if it is still for sale in May ;)

21 - 40 of 74 Posts