StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got a 2013 Yamaha Fazer 8 in the garage I'm looking to unload.
Put up an ad in Kijiji. Covered everything, including the relatively (IMO, of course) damage from a low speed fall.
Priced it just under the cheapest, higher mileage, FZ8 (not Fazer 8, which was more expensive new), at CAD$3700.
Do I have to go lower? Probably, but that's not the story here.

Man, where do these people come from? Sample of messages:
"2500 and I can come tmrw with cash". It's been listed for less than a day and looking for a $1200 drop (roughly 1/3 off asking?)
"what is your final price will be if I will pay u cash?"
"what's the lowest you would go on the price?"

Lowballers. Expected.

Guys who want me to lowball myself - make me a freaking offer, at least.

What's with the guys mentioning cash like it's magic? I'm a private seller of a bike. Of course I expect cash or better, a bank draft from a local bank to my name made out that day. I'm not extending financing. What else would I expect other than basically cash? Personal cheque? Who TF writes those anymore, anyway, not that I would take one. Installment plan? Yeah, no.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
What I like to do is write the ad very precisely, show appealing photos, price it competitively, and then ignore completely who my Spidey sense says is an A Hole time waster. I would not even reply to the low baller and make it clear to whoever is coming over (in a friendly manner) what is for sale and how you want the deal to go down. Are you in urban or rural Canada?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Its the way it goes. When selling bikes I put in my ads that I will not blindly negotiate over the internet. If you want to make an offer please make arrangements to come see the bike and then make the offer face to face. This will separate out a lot of the riff raff but you'll still get people throwing out lowball offer and that when you either ignore them.

Several time I have gotten people that were not local and I'll ask them to give me their phone number and email address and I'll call them to discuss. If they do you know they are more serious and I'll give them a call. This weeds out even more.

I also put in my adds that I do not have a means to transport a motorcycle so I cannot assist in delivery. This just saves a lot of aggravation and wasted time. I cannot help where prospective buyers live. If I'm too far away (I always post the town where the bike can be seen in my ad) for them to travel they should be looking closer to home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep, it's amazing. I used to tell them that I don't negotiate with myself, but they never understand. Now I simply state that any serious offer will be seriously considered.

Their first thought is to screw someone else over. Everyone likes a good deal, but how do these people sleep at night.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I like to do is write the ad very precisely, show appealing photos, price it competitively, and then ignore completely who my Spidey sense says is an A Hole time waster. I would not even reply to the low baller and make it clear to whoever is coming over (in a friendly manner) what is for sale and how you want the deal to go down. Are you in urban or rural Canada?
Hamilton (outskirts- Stoney Creek). One guy last Sunday seemed real interested, said he couldn't come over til later, but I had a sale, no worries. Never heard anything. Is it too much expect someone to just message and say "yeah, changed my mind, not coming?" I didn't expect too much, so I guess so, lol. I'll believe anyone when they actually show up ready to deal. Like I do when I go to buy a used bike.

My price is a little above what I hope to get for it, of course. Not to say I haven't bought without haggling, but most people like to. Well, I'm not in that big a hurry to sell, anyway.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, it's amazing. I used to tell them that I don't negotiate with myself, but they never understand. Now I simply state that any serious offer will be seriously considered.

Their first thought is to screw someone else over. Everyone likes a good deal, but how do these people sleep at night.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Yeam, I'm basically just ignoring the lowballers. I think I know roughly what this thing is worth. We'll see. If it reaches a week without a serious offer at a decent price I'll consider going lower.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Good luck with the sale, and don't be afraid to call it off at a moments notice if you think you smell a rat.

Reactions: V-Strom Ry 2

·
Registered
306 Posts
I had the opposite problem last time I was shopping. Found a nice 650GS on Craigslist, texted the guy and set up a time to look it over. Couple hours later i get text: "Changed my mind, I really like the bike and am going to keep it". OK, whatever. 2 weeks later it's on Craigslist again.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I also never hold a bike for anyone until they can come and see it If you do you effectively take it off the market in hope they don't change their mine or are a no show. The 1st person to show up with cash to the agreed upon amount is the buyer.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
So, I've got a 2013 Yamaha Fazer 8 in the garage I'm looking to unload.
Put up an ad in Kijiji. Covered everything, including the relatively (IMO, of course) damage from a low speed fall.
Priced it just under the cheapest, higher mileage, FZ8 (not Fazer 8, which was more expensive new), at CAD$3700.
Do I have to go lower? Probably, but that's not the story here.

Man, where do these people come from? Sample of messages:
"2500 and I can come tmrw with cash". It's been listed for less than a day and looking for a $1200 drop (roughly 1/3 off asking?)
"what is your final price will be if I will pay u cash?"
"what's the lowest you would go on the price?"

Lowballers. Expected.

Guys who want me to lowball myself - make me a freaking offer, at least.

What's with the guys mentioning cash like it's magic? I'm a private seller of a bike. Of course I expect cash or better, a bank draft from a local bank to my name made out that day. I'm not extending financing. What else would I expect other than basically cash? Personal cheque? Who TF writes those anymore, anyway, not that I would take one. Installment plan? Yeah, no.
Sounds like the way I buy bikes ;)
First step - find something I am interested in and figure out what I am willing to pay
If it is close by then I'll setup a meeting and go look at it - and bring the cash that I am willing to pay
If it isn't worth the drive if the price doesn't come down then I'll make an offer over email before setting up a meeting

I have no idea if your price is reasonable or not - Fazer 8 doesn't seem to be a bike we get in the US, but it always cracks me up when people say that they priced based on the other cars/boats/bikes that they see currently for sale. Those are the ones that are not selling :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no idea if your price is reasonable or not - Fazer 8 doesn't seem to be a bike we get in the US, but it always cracks me up when people say that they priced based on the other cars/boats/bikes that they see currently for sale. Those are the ones that are not selling :ROFLMAO:
Well, I don't either, really. It is priced below all the other ones on Kijiji, and I'm flexible. Asking price is just a starting point for negotiations, right?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've had the same problems no matter what I'm selling. One guy offered me $50 for an antique Cedar and Mahogany canoe in excellent condition. But it's the no-shows that bug me the most. If we've arranged a meeting any you can't show up, it's only a couple of seconds effort to send a message to say so.

It only happened once, but I had a wanna-be buyer who showed up with 30% less cash than we agreed on, and still expected me to sell to him. He actually seemed confused when I sent him away empty handed. Sorry, doesn't work that way.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Asking me what my lowest price is without making an offer is not negotiating. Like I said, at least make me an offer. I'm not offended by someone offering me 2500, although I'm not interested in taking it at this point.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Asking me what my lowest price is without making an offer is not negotiating. Like I said, at least make me an offer. I'm not offended by someone offering me 2500, although I'm not interested in taking it at this point.
I agree about the lowest price questions. But the guy offering $2500 was negotiating - the typical response would be something like make it $3000 and you have a deal.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree about the lowest price questions. But the guy offering $2500 was negotiating - the typical response would be something like make it $3000 and you have a deal.
So far off from what I was asking and am prepared to take at this point, I didn't bother replying. In another week, maybe. I only listed it Sunday morning.

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
When I got my Wee I found it on Craigs list. I called, Arranged to go 40 miles to see the bike. Chatted the fellow up and he insisted I test ride the bike and took the offer I made which was high Kelly Blue Book. He even accepted a check.
I've never had the misfortune to try to sell anything yet. Too many A holes out there.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
When I got my Wee I found it on Craigs list. I called, Arranged to go 40 miles to see the bike. Chatted the fellow up and he insisted I test ride the bike and took the offer I made which was high Kelly Blue Book. He even accepted a check.
I've never had the misfortune to try to sell anything yet. Too many A holes out there.
High KBB on a motorcycle would be very generous. Those prices come mainly from dealer sales.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts