StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner of a 2012 Wee. Lovely bike but I have a problem and I'm seeking advice on what to do next. Yesterday the rear brake suddenly seized i.e. pushing the brake pedal did not operate the brake. Upon examination the pedal can move but cannot push the piston in the master cylinder. I cracked the union on top of the m/c and fluid appeared so the m/c itself is okay. I can lever the pads away from the disc so they are not seized. There appears to be something preventing the fluid moving beyond the m/c. The bike is still useable and the abs light goes out as normal. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I am a new owner of a 2012 Wee. Lovely bike but I have a problem and I'm seeking advice on what to do next. Yesterday the rear brake suddenly seized i.e. pushing the brake pedal did not operate the brake. Upon examination the pedal can move but cannot push the piston in the master cylinder. I cracked the union on top of the m/c and fluid appeared so the m/c itself is okay. I can lever the pads away from the disc so they are not seized. There appears to be something preventing the fluid moving beyond the m/c. The bike is still useable and the abs light goes out as normal. Any ideas?
Couple common options are
gunk in the lines or a collapsed brake line.

Really the best thing to start with would be to remove the brake line and see if you can move compressed air through it. This is assuming that you are going to be comfortable purging/bleeding the rear system when you are done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oldjeep,
That is a good idea, but there is thr matter of an abs unit in between, I have no experience with these things. Does the brake line simply go from the m/c to the abs then to the caliper. I have yet to dig in behind the plastic to look. Thanks for your reply.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Oldjeep,
That is a good idea, but there is thr matter of an abs unit in between, I have no experience with these things. Does the brake line simply go from the m/c to the abs then to the caliper. I have yet to dig in behind the plastic to look. Thanks for your reply.
I'm used to more simplistic systems, so you have now pointed out another thing that could have failed in some way - the ABS pump. In a typical automotive system there would be a line from the MC to the ABS pump and another from the ABS pump to the Caliper(s). Hopefully someone will know how to diagnose the pump.

·
Registered
461 Posts
If you open the bleed valve on top of the slave cylinder and push the brake pedal, does fluid come out?

If it does, then most likely the piston has seized due to road crud buildup, and all you need is a good clean of the slave cylinder. Plus possibly some new seals.

But if no fluid comes out, then it might indeed be a seized ABS pump.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hold up, before doing anything disconnect the pedal from the pivot, clean it up and grease it. There have been several cases on this forum regarding gummed up pivots. GW installed a zerk fitting on his brake pedal so that he could periodically grease it and prevent a reoccurrence. I did the same on my 2013.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would start at the caliper and work back. Crack open the bleed nipple on the caliper. Press pedal. Any fluid? If not work back joint by joint till you find what is blocking the fluid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried all the suggestions and it appears the blockage is within the ABS unit. Now what is supposed to happen in the case of an ABS failure is you are left with a normal non ABS brake, in my case the ABS has caused a total seizure of the rear brake. My main concern now (apart from the couple of thou' to replace the ABS unit ) is what happens if the same thing occurs to the front brake? Should I be following up on this with Suzuki?

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Suzuki will say 'failure to replace brake fluid on a timely basis or contaminated brake fluid'. Best bet is to watch ebay for a used ABS unit and just swap it out. You can find them for about $300 there.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Search here for exercising the ABS Unit:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=vOuZXei7MYia5gKi2ZEY&q=exercising+abs+stromtrooper&oq=exercising+abs+stromtrooper&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i160l2.2027.9209..10569...0.0..0.377.3251.12j15j0j1....2..0....1..gws-wiz.....6..0i362i308i154i357j0i131j0j0i22i30j0i22i10i30.hYL6R39Y_pM&ved=0ahUKEwjoiceq3oflAhUIjVkKHaJsBAMQ4dUDCAs&uact=5#spf=1570368507540

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012-2016/423005-help-abs-module-dead.html

There has been some success in doing repeated emergency braking to get the ABS going again. However in your case it may not work since you can't activate the rear brake. Consider to bypass the ABS with a brake line directly to the rear caliper and then braking hard on a slippery surface (without going down). Maybe that gets it going again.

Fault most likely caused by not changing the brake fluids as required and rarely or never activating the ABS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts