StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done my break-in mileage, and it is now time to get my Wee-Strom outfitted for some travel.

I would really appreciate any recommendations any of you have for soft saddle bags and tank bags. (Or conversely, any horror stories.)

I already have the luggage guard from the nice guy in Spokane Valley. He recommended Ortlieb bags, and they do look promising.

However, before I leap, I'd like to learn more. In particular, does the muffler cause problems with mounting bags?

Please provide brand names and sources.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
There's a ton of info in these forums - use the search function for soft luggage, tank bags, etc. Lots of discussion on the heat issue too. For my own $.02, I use a Manta tank bag - perfect fit and size for my needs - and just ordered some Nelson Rigg SB900 saddle bags based on reviews on this site...

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Check out the Ventura luggage system, it's what I've got, and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Soft Luggage Option

You might want to check out the Givi Gold Series line of soft luggage. I just finished a week-end trip using the panniers, tail bag and small tank bag. I got these from RL Motorcycles. Great shop.

The bags fit well with a bit of a penny tech mindset. FWIW, I just used the combination of the buckle strap and the 2 velcro straps over (and under) the back seat for the panniers. I used a couple of small bungees to secure the panniers front and back using tie points on the bike (e.g., hooked to the "loop" on the passenger foot peg mounts.

I am somewhat of a stickler for looks and balance, so I got a $25 tool bag that I attach to the left side passenger grab rails. I use this for road supplies I don't expect to use frequently. But it also "fills out" the left side almost exactly like the right side muffler guard. So when I put the panniers on, they are very balanced, which makes me :D

Also, with this arrangement, I don't have to use any kind of rack or mounting systems. Makes it easy to take the bags off at the end of the day.

The tail bag has any number of ways to mount on the stock rack, including a velcro strap, bungee hooks, etc. With the panniers and the tail bag, this still leaves room for a sleeping bag, or other small bag that you want to carry.

A note on the color. When I odered these, they lloked silver, and I thought that they would be a perfect fit for my '07 silver wee. I should have thought more about the Gold Series name. While they are "carbon fiber" in color, they have a cold tint to them, that, while not objectionalble, is not a perfect match for the machine paint. Check out the link below.

http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/home/Accessories/Givi Images/Soft Luggage/Givi-T438-L.bmp

Anyway, I am pretty happy with my purchase, because I got all 4 pieces, with shipping, for less than $340.

Happy motoring.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Did a 4 day trip last time off with Wolfman Beta Bag for all clothing plus other stuff. Marsee magnetic tank bag held lots of goods. Course I have a JCW tail trunk of medium size which could be soft luggage also but I carry a note book puter in there and want whats in there to be not wet never. ;-).
Seems the more I've traveled in the last 12 years, the less I carry with me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nelson Rigg soft stuff is popular. I recently got a set of SB 900s and a matching seat bag for cheap. Still waiting for the bike to put 'em on. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey neighbor, just got my DL650K7 in April. Went with small 12liter Cortech tank bag and just yesterday installed Givi E52nf topcase. I think this will do for a long weekend. Next step will be either Givi sidecases, or maybe some brand of soft saddlebags.

Let me know when you ride - Cold Spring resident!

Jon

·
Registered
61 Posts
ortlieb

i love the ortliebs, and can attest to their being waterproof. using the dan vessel standoff, and he also built me one for the right side to keep the bags off my scorpion pipe. the setup rocks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have Eclipse P-38 saddlebags (blue/black), a Nelson-Rigg tail pack (black/green) and an Ocelot black magnetic tank bag all for sale. All were used on different bikes. But now that I have the Givi trifecta, I no longer need these.
The saddlebags were tested to 135 mph and stayed on/in place great.
The tank bag was good to 130 mph and the NRigg was on a KLR 650.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just got back from a week-long run in the twisties. I used my Nelson-Rigg tail bag (RTB-500). Bag was great. Tons of practical features (ie: expansion gussets, rain cover, lots of pockets, shoulder strap). Easy to attach to bike and easy to grab and go when I got to the motel. Great price too. This attaches to the matching side bags (I haven't used them yet).

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
I've got the Nelson-Rigg saddlebags. No complaints at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts