StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading almost all of the gps threads and I have come across the edge gps website that has some very nice deals on garmin refurbished s.
I cannot decide what would be the best bang for the buck!

They have 2610, quest 2, and quest deluxe. The deluxe is modestly priced at $155, the 2610 and quest 2 both around $250
Can some of you wiser gps'rs give me some advice? I do not need blue tooth, or anything like that, just some thing that effectivly assists us as we travel and plan our routes.
Many Thanks!!!
Bonnie and clyde:???:

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
also, anyone know if the quest can be used also with a cigarette type plug? if the internal battery is low??
Yes. And you should be able to get them really, really cheap now.

The screen is small and hard to see in sunlight, it's not touchscreen, and they often have an old mapset.

·
Registered
539 Posts
the 2610 takes a CF card up to 2GB, no hard drive....works fine for MC use.
The selectable road preference ability of the 2610 is great if your the "road less traveled" sort.
None of the newer Garmins have this feature anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
the 2610 takes a CF card up to 2GB, no hard drive....works fine for MC use.
The selectable road preference ability of the 2610 is great if your the "road less traveled" sort.
None of the newer Garmins have this feature anymore.
Yes, you could decide how to "weight" speed versus distance. You could also select detours by distance. And configure the front screen fields shown. And they're pretty cheap - I sold two on eBay for around $200 each.

Downsides are screen resolution, large physical size, no internal battery, doesn't have the high sensitivity receiver, don't announce road names (not that big a deal on a bike), maps usually out of date, not waterproof. I'd probably buy the Nuvi 650 for $300 or a Nuvi 200W if I only had $200.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've got the refurbed Garmin 2610 from EdgeGPS. Great deal, and a great unit. Went to Costco and got the 2Gig CF card. It holds the entire U.S, Canada, and Baja with no problems.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you all for your help fellow strommers.
Bonnie and I purchased the quest 2 tonight from edge gps and are looking forward to getting it!
It has been a fun christmas for motorcycling. Bonnie got the gps for me, and also bought me the "long way down" paperback to read how ewen and charlie managed through africa.
Nice way to prep for riding during the winter!!:):)

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Before anyone buys these "refurbished " you might want to take a look on eBay, where they usually sell for less directly from owners. For example, a Quest for $125, or a 2610 for $150 to $200.

If you are looking for a budget GPS, though, the newer units are being heavily promoted and can thus be purchased for about the same prices, only new, with new mapsets, warranty, high sensitivity receiver, larger high resolution brighter screens, security features, MP3 player, headphone jack, etc.

Units like the Nuvi 200 or 200W, available widely for $200, have the latest version of City Navigator NT, whic is a $109 upgrade for some of these older units.

They are not ideal for motorcycle use, nor are these older models.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yes, you could decide how to "weight" speed versus distance. You could also select detours by distance. And configure the front screen fields shown. And they're pretty cheap - I sold two on eBay for around $200 each.

Downsides are screen resolution, large physical size, no internal battery, doesn't have the high sensitivity receiver, don't announce road names (not that big a deal on a bike), maps usually out of date, not waterproof. I'd probably buy the Nuvi 650 for $300 or a Nuvi 200W if I only had $200.
2610 refurb from edge did come with a free upgrade to the latest maps (City Nav 2008 ) is waterproof (ipx7 same as zumo) and came with a 1 year Garmin warranty.

Yea, the 2610 is not well suited for a motorcycle, thats why many Iron Butt folks still use them...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was interested in a unit that would have mp3 but the prices seemed to climb quickly (read zumo).
the quest two is suited well to motorcycle use apparently, and the water resistance issue was strong as well.
I have not heard serious issues about refurb units, and as has been said before, it is the company behind the equipment, and garmin comes highly rated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts