StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good well protected dual-sporting boot that won't break the bank. I see many threads looking for waterproof boots but my experience with goretex and similar waterproof breathable membranes is that I soak my feet with sweat because they don't pass moisture fast enough. I also live in Utah, ride principally in the West and most often in dry weather, So for me breathabilty/coolness is more critical than waterproof. The Alpinestars Scouts look almost perfect but for the potential heat. Anyone have ideas/recomendations for a similar level of protection, walkability and appearance in a boot that can be worn to work, tour or trail?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
The Alpinestars Scouts look almost perfect but for the potential heat.
I have a pair of those which are now exactly a year old. I love them, and have worn them in every climate imaginable. They breathe just fine, are totally waterproof, and are comfortable enough to walk quite some distance in if necessary. The adjustable straps ensure that I can make them snug enough to walk in with no blistering regardless of which socks I'm wearing.

I did add Superfeet inserts, as I do for most of my shoes, but that's personal preference. I haven't done anything else to them except oil them once -- I used Neatsfoot oil the first time, to soften them up just a smidge. I'll use wax next time. Expect a bit of a breakin period; they are VERY stiff out of the box, but will loosen up quickly.

Read the literature and buckle them correctly -- bottom first -- to make sure the tongue lays and wears in correctly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am looking for a good well protected dual-sporting boot that won't break the bank. I see many threads looking for waterproof boots but my experience with goretex and similar waterproof breathable membranes is that I soak my feet with sweat because they don't pass moisture fast enough. I also live in Utah, ride principally in the West and most often in dry weather, So for me breathabilty/coolness is more critical than waterproof. The Alpinestars Scouts look almost perfect but for the potential heat. Anyone have ideas/recomendations for a similar level of protection, walkability and appearance in a boot that can be worn to work, tour or trail?
Unless you get something with ankle-twist protection, You may as well get a touring boot like the Sidi onroad or canyon. The scout looks like it offers about the same amount of protection as a touring boot, just with "offroady" buckles. If you're going to wear the piss out of them, make sure you can get them resoled.

I haven't been a fan of alpinestars waterproof liners in their gloves, maybe the stuff in their boots is better (iirc the scout is WP only).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Unless you get something with ankle-twist protection, You may as well get a touring boot like the Sidi onroad or canyon. The scout looks like it offers about the same amount of protection as a touring boot, just with "offroady" buckles. If you're going to wear the piss out of them, make sure you can get them resoled.

I haven't been a fan of alpinestars waterproof liners in their gloves, maybe the stuff in their boots is better (iirc the scout is WP only).
I've been surprised at the lack of protection the onroad boots appear to provide. They don't really look like they provide much if any more than a nice pair of workboots. Am I missing something here? Obviously, the true offroad or racing boots provide more.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I've been surprised at the lack of protection the onroad boots appear to provide. They don't really look like they provide much if any more than a nice pair of workboots. Am I missing something here? Obviously, the true offroad or racing boots provide more.
It depends on the boot you buy. Look for reviews that explain how the boot is made. Toe cup, heel cup, ankle armor, shin armor and soul strength. Sidi canyon g-tex or adventure if you do a lot of off road.:yesnod:

·
Registered
68 Posts
IIRC they have heel cup, toe cups, shin protection, and inner ankle padding (just without the circular sewing).

Certainly more inner plastic bits than, say, aerostich combat boots for example.

It depends on the boot you buy. Look for reviews that explain how the boot is made. Toe cup, heel cup, ankle armor, shin armor and soul strength. Sidi canyon g-tex or adventure if you do a lot of off road.:yesnod:
The canyons don't have ankle twist protection, so are probably really more of a touring boot.

If you take a vee or wee "really" offroad ankle snapping is a possibility, I'd think.

Pretty much any of the above would be fine for gravel.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I saw boots somewhere that had perforations/mesh for ventilation. Hard to recall exactly where. :confused:

·
Registered
325 Posts
go to walmart and buy a pair of the men's knee socks for diabetics. Put a thin liner sock on first then the knee socks. Your feet will love you for it

·
Registered
27 Posts
seeking boot advice

If you haven't already, check into the Rocky line of boots. Wore them on the job in law enforcement and use them as my riding boots. Good boot/good price. May have to Google for latest info

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I've been looking at trials boots. like these from Gaerne Gaerne Balance Pro-Tech Boot | Cli-MAXRidingGear.com not as stiff as full on mx boots but more support than a touring style boot. The Balance Pro Tech isn't water proof the Balance Oil version is billed as being water proof and its $100 more.
+1 on Gaerne. Either boot is waterproof for a day or so, if you apply waterproofing before you need it. They are old school protection though, lots of leather = lots of protection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts