StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm seeking advice/feedback on the following proposed configuration for my new :hurray: 2019 650x...

Happy Trails skid plate
SW Motech center stand
OEM, Givi or SW Motech crash bars (these are listed at the HT site as compatible with the HT skid plate)

Thanks,

MV

·
Registered
127 Posts
On my 2018 1000 txt, the OEM center stand, crash bars, and Happy Trails skid plate all play well together. You’ll need to support the bike without the stands as the skid plate uses those mounts, IRC. I used ratchet straps to the tracks to the garage overhead door. You’re just keeping the bike vertical so there isn’t much weight on the straps.

I don’t know about the Motech stand but the OEM works well.

Vinnie

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

My 2018 XT set-up is:
SW Motech Crash Bars
OEM Center Stand
Happy Trails Skid Plate

and they all work well together.

George

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my 2018 1000 txt, the OEM center stand, crash bars, and Happy Trails skid plate all play well together. You’ll need to support the bike without the stands as the skid plate uses those mounts, IRC. I used ratchet straps to the tracks to the garage overhead door. You’re just keeping the bike vertical so there isn’t much weight on the straps.

I don’t know about the Motech stand but the OEM works well.

Vinnie
OK thanks. I have a chain hoist in the garage so suspending the bike upright won't be a problem.

- Martin

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

My 2018 XT set-up is:
SW Motech Crash Bars
OEM Center Stand
Happy Trails Skid Plate

George
Thanks. I went with the SW-SW-HT combo. HT verified that the skid plate works OK with the SW Motech stand. I have the SW-M stand on my 2005 and like it.

- Martin

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

My 2018 XT set-up is:
SW Motech Crash Bars
OEM Center Stand
Happy Trails Skid Plate

George
I had some trouble getting the HT front bracket mounted to the SW-M cross bar... the holes in the bracket did not line up at all with the SW-M screws. It looks like SW-M might have changed the way the cross-bar connects (the HT instructions show the old-style SW-M cross bar I remember from my 2005 setup).

I drilled a couple of new holes into the bracket to line up with the SW-M screws and that worked.

This is how the "new" SW-M setup looks...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Congrats on the New 2019!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had some trouble getting the HT front bracket mounted to the SW-M cross bar... the holes in the bracket did not line up at all with the SW-M screws. It looks like SW-M might have changed the way the cross-bar connects (the HT instructions show the old-style SW-M cross bar I remember from my 2005 setup).

I drilled a couple of new holes into the bracket to line up with the SW-M screws and that worked.

This is how the "new" SW-M setup looks...
Not sure I follow you - No drilling required here - The way my HT skid plate mounts to the cross bar of the crash bar is with a nicely lined u-clamp provided by HT - I ended flipping the mount (behind the bar instead of in front of the bar as indicated in the instructions) so I got the plate to fit closer to the motor.
I may drill the skid plate to utilize the bottom holes of the bracket hardware (you can see what I'm referring to in the picture).
George

Attachments

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, mine looks nothing like that! No U-clamps. Looks like they sent me the previous version of the mount kit for SW-Motech. I'll contact them for clarification.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I found the problem... there is this fine print down below at the HT web page for the DL 650... :fineprint:

** If your SW Motech crash bar has the center clamp you need the MK-3 mount kit. If you have the bolt together type, you will need the MK-2 mount kit. **

I have the newer bolt-together type. So, evidently, I was supposed to order the MK-2 mount kit for "OEM" crash bars... and NOT the MK-3 "SW-Motech" kit... for the SW-Motech bars which I have on the bike? That's crazy. :confused:

I'm working with someone in customer support at HT to get this resolved but they really need to fix their website or someone else is bound to run into the same issue.

-MV

·
Registered
541 Posts
Genuine Suzuki Center Stands on Ebay.

FYI - Yesterday, I discovered a listing for genuine Suzuki Center Stands for my 2017 on Ebay for $195 SHIPPED!

Can't post the linky as I am Newbie but do a search using the following :

NEW SUZUKI VSTROM 650 / DL650 CENTER STAND P/N 42100-06861

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, just got an update from HT... they are sending me the U-clamps and front bracket from the MK-2 ("OEM bars") kit. The rear bracket is the same in both kits so no issue there.

They are also fixing their website to make the distinction between the 2 SW-Motech fitment requirements clearer.

I'm satisfied with their response and am impressed with the skid plate in all other respects... it's a beast... very robust... and should be easy enough to remove for oil changes.

I will post an update when I get the new hardware installed.

- Martin

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK I got the HT "OEM" kit today and installed it. It fits the SW-Motech bars perfectly.

It was a bit difficult getting the bolts to line up while holding everything in place but then I used a floor jack to support it from underneath and that helped.

I tried reversing the U clamps like georgej but couldn't get the plate up into position for some reason... might have to loosen the rear support bracket but I didn't feel like fighting with the side-stand bolts (blue thread-locker) today. I might try again when I pull the skid plate for the upcoming first oil change.

- Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
They are also fixing their website to make the distinction between the 2 SW-Motech fitment requirements clearer.

I'm satisfied with their response and am impressed with the skid plate in all other respects... it's a beast... very robust... and should be easy enough to remove for oil changes.
- Martin
I had a bit of trouble figuring out what I needed too. I ordered the HT crash bars and skid plate for my '13 650 this winter. The problem was I did not know that they use the abbreviation when speaking of their bars and plates and thus had no idea what they were talking about. I ended up calling them as I always do when unsure of something I am ordering online. No phone number? No sale to me.

Their skid plate is impressive! Robust is not the word for it. My only comment is that it looks far larger than it needs to be for this bike. They might have designed it to fit several model years and that is why. That said, there is ample room to change an oil filter without dropping the skid plate. Now that I think of it, I wonder about access to the crankcase oil drain plug. I'll find out in a bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts