StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after owning both a dl 650, & and a dl 1000, I have moved on yet again. The BMW bug was just to great to ignore any longer. We're all on two wheels & that's all that really matters. It's been fun Stromtroopers!

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
well good luck ... personally would only give another Beemer a go when the 800GS finally makes it to the states. Have ridden a friends R12GS a few times ... can you say TANK !!!!

But its all a matter of choice. I went through my gotta have a cool Euro bike phase ... had a Aprilla RSV , Duc , and was on the hunt for something else and ended up with a steal of a deal on a project Sprint.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Enjoy the ride...

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Good Choice

I did, I bought an 03 GSA & sold the Strom all in one day. It wasn't that easy but I just want to own a GSA once in my life & the timing was right.
Long Way
I have ridden Beemers since 1978. I switched to the WeeStrom last year. Your choice as far as BMW's are concerned is a good one. Stay away from the 05's and up because they have drive train issues, especially final drives.:weapons_73: Don't ask me how I know.

I would suggest you join the BMWMOA and the BMWRA. Both are excellent organizations and a wealth of knowledge. They also have great magazines.

Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a firm believer in ride what you like. BMW makes several bikes I would not mind owning
Nice, Thanks! After I pulled the trigger on the beemer I was riding my DL 1000 to show it to the guy who bought it. I was thinking to myself how great this bike is as I was thoroughly enjoying the ride... but the beemer is that one bike I have to own once... & I can't afford two bikes right now, or have the room for them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Long Way
I have ridden Beemers since 1978. I switched to the WeeStrom last year. Your choice as far as BMW's are concerned is a good one. Stay away from the 05's and up because they have drive train issues, especially final drives.:weapons_73: Don't ask me how I know.

I would suggest you join the BMWMOA and the BMWRA. Both are excellent organizations and a wealth of knowledge. They also have great magazines.

Good luck and enjoy.
GLad to here it. Actually, I'm not a big fan of the newer GSA, I'm sure its a great bike but just too much plastic for me. I prefere the "utilitarian" look of the 1150 generation.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I almost bought 2 GS's, one the front ABS didn't work so I couldn,t test ride, the second smoked out of the lower cylinder when on the side stand, bad design. BMW bring more wallet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I almost bought 2 GS's, one the front ABS didn't work so I couldn,t test ride, the second smoked out of the lower cylinder when on the side stand, bad design. BMW bring more wallet.
I wouldn't have bought the two bikes you mentioned either. I get that not everyone is into BMW's. Most of my riding friends look at them with a dissaproving puzzedled look on their face, ( ok, slight exageration).. But from where I sit, the pro's outweighthe con's.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I really wanted the R1200RT and was looking around at lots of bikes. Decided it was too heavy, and looked that the 800ST. A little too cramped for my tastes...then I found the wee. I won't say its a BMW, but between the 1200RT and the 650 wee...I have a difficult time justifying the almost $10k price difference right now, so a wee it was. Enjoy the new ride!

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Long Way, that's a great bike you chose. I've heard nothing but good things about that model. Bright Side is right about the '05's and up. Serious final drive issues, I had one too on my 1998 R1100R. When it goes, be prepared for a very expensive bill ($1000+).

I love my airhead bmw. I also looked at new BMW's, same models as you, but they didn't fit me well and were generally too heavy. I've enjoyed my Wee, but after riding a Triumph Tiger last August, I think I'm gonna get me one of thoes....

Join the BMW MOA, then you'll get access to the forum. Really great people there, just like here!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Long Way, that's a great bike you chose. I've heard nothing but good things about that model. Bright Side is right about the '05's and up. Serious final drive issues, I had one too on my 1998 R1100R. When it goes, be prepared for a very expensive bill ($1000+).

I love my airhead bmw. I also looked at new BMW's, same models as you, but they didn't fit me well and were generally too heavy. I've enjoyed my Wee, but after riding a Triumph Tiger last August, I think I'm gonna get me one of thoes....

Join the BMW MOA, then you'll get access to the forum. Really great people there, just like here!
Thanks! The GS fit me like a glove so it was hard to say no... he he.. the Strom will be a big part of my motorcycling memories!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
A fella I work with, he's been riding since, well, since someone shoved an engine into a bicycle frame... he's been logging miles on an R80GS, been all over the USA on it. A year or two ago, when I mentioned how I thought it was a great looking bike and that it would be neat to have one, he threatened to give it to me. All in jest, of course. Every couple months I remind him that he's someday going to give me that bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts