StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else replaced there security screw on there zumo 550 with a thumb screw. I never leave the zumo on the bike when I'm not there anyway, but liked the security of the screw to keep the latch from coming open from a pump or something. I hate having to carry the little screw driver around. A guy from the Netherlands (Marco Boelis) is making a round thumb screw to replace it and I really like it. This has probably been on here before, but I couldn't find it in a search.

I ordered mine from here: http://www.boelis.nl/index_bestanden/Securityscrew.htm

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
ECM sells them on Zumoforums.com. They seem like a nice addition if all you want is to keep the cradle from opening on the road.

I went with a RAM locking knob and a TT locking mount. I can leave my Zumo on the bike when eating lunch, getting a soda or using the rest room on the road. I also have an alarm in case they try to pry it off anyway.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ECM sells them on Zumoforums.com. They seem like a nice addition if all you want is to keep the cradle from opening on the road.

I went with a RAM locking knob and a TT locking mount. I can leave my Zumo on the bike when eating lunch, getting a soda or using the rest room on the road. I also have an alarm in case they try to pry it off anyway.
That is Marco Boelis. :D I just don't trust leaving it on the bike. Sounds like you have it set up as secure as possible tho.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Those of us former KLR owners go down to the hardware store, by a 2mm screw and a couple of nuts, and deal.....

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those of us former KLR owners go down to the hardware store, by a 2mm screw and a couple of nuts, and deal.....
Good thinking garandman. I do like the clean shaft on Marcos tho with only the last 1/8" or so with threads. It doesn't try to screw itself out when you loosen it up.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That is exactly what I did. I was surprised my local Ace Hardware had them on the shelf. I was real careful with my dremel and removed a small portion of the threads to duplicate the stock screw thread pattern. I then dipped the top of the screw and nuts in high quality, two part polyurethane architectural paint i have at work (black ofcourse). Less than two bucks and I have a nice looking alternative and a spare in the tank bag.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts