StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question on a thread for a Krytonite Legend lock here http://www.stromtrooper.com/riders-discount/60925-kryptonite-new-york-legend-motorcycle-security-chain.html in an attempt to find out more about these products. I wanted to get more opinions so I'm putting it up here as well. This product has been plastered all over the bike forums and I want some more information before I hand them my money.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm very interested in one of these chains, but finding any testing info on the internet is all but impossible:headbang:
I've really been searching all week to no avail. The only testing I could find is from 2007 when the Almax people cut almost any other competitor chain in mere seconds. Most of these chains back then were much narrower than the Almax, which was 16mm just like the Oxford Nemesis. Enter the Kryptonite Legend, at 15mm it's getting there, but I've been reading that the 42'' Irwin Record bolt cutters/croppers used can fit anything under 16mm into the jaw. This means that anything less than a four foot pair of cutters won't do it, but why take the chance? I don't know why it's so hard to find any information on this topic, is it so we don't accidentally educate the thieves? :confused:
I agree some things can be overkill, but why even waste $150 on a 15mm chain if it's as vulnerable as a 10mm? If you want to go bigger Almax and Pragmasis offer a 19mm chain! What I can't figure is why these are not readily available in the USA? If you can even get one shipped it will cost you about sixty to eighty in transport costs.
I park in an underground garage and I really want to keep my bikes.

To the OP that has this ad on just about every cycle forum I could find, I'm not trying to bash this product as I really want to purchase one at this great price; but I need some more proof that we're wasting our hard earned cash.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
A lock on a Strom?.....yeah..you're wasting your money.
+1

Like, who the heck would want to steal my version of a V-Strom? The bank wouldn't even want to repossess it!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wasn't there a thread

Wasn't there a thread about strom theft a while back? If I remember there was only a half attempt at a theft. I'd be more worried about someone stealing something off of the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I think that you'd be better off with a couple of disc locks than a chain, unless you've got something to chain the bike to--every time you park.

Sounds like a giant PITA to me.

If you were riding a 'popular' bike it might make more sense...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Obviously I'm new to this particular forum and I'm not sure if this is supposed to be good news or not. I guess knowing that I have purchased a seldom stolen bike is better than the alternative. Unfortunately or rather fortunately in my eyes, I have another Suzuki that might attract more attention, (Busa), and I want to keep them both safe. Also I moved to Florida three years ago and see that it's in the top three states for cycle theft.
Just wanted to know what you guys think about it.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I think that you've seen the general attitude relative to chains that you're going to find on this forum.

A chain may slow a thief down, or move on, but...

...if a thief wants your bike and there's no security in your parking garage...

...then I'd recommend a chain that comes with a theft warranty and GOOD insurance!

Not trying to be critical or standoffish, but I think that your Strom is safe as long as it's parked in the spot where your 'busa used to be. Point is that the GSX is the target.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the OnGuard chain. Only use it at home to deter a thief, but if they truly want something there is no stopping them.

webBikeWorld did a review on it and several other security items.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Why just use a chain. Go with multiple locks. Chain, disk locks, bike alarm, even a U-Lock (used for a bicycle). Bike covers also...out of site out of mind. Don't forget they can always pick the bike up and put it in the back of a truck, so make sure they are secured to the ground/structure. If the locks are too strong they can cut what ever it's attached to, so make sure to secure it to something really strong.

Make it as difficult as possilble for an average punk. No matter what you do if a pro want's your bike he will get it. My philosophy has always been to make getting my bike more difficult than the guy parked next to me. Most thieves go for the easy pickin's.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Personally, I am of the school if someone wants to steal your scoot they will.

However, for a thick strong chain you can go to an independent tractor repair shop ... they almost always have very heavy, very thick, very strong chains used on farms and agricultural equipment.

For use on my little farm, I bought a used chain at $1.50 a foot that I couldn't fhad been used it my 4 foot bolt cutters over at an independent Tractor/Agricultural/Construction repair shop that (I was told) came off a tow truck. It was strong enough to pull my former neighbor's one-ton diesel Dodge pick-up and its attached 3 horse goose-neck trailer up a steep hill without any problems of stretching or breaking.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I say just get a disc brake lock if you're concerned.

I'm being robbed by the insurance company as it is.
The extra insurance rider for thief is peanuts relative to the main policy.
In my case, if the bandits want my bike, they are going to take it regardless of how I have protected it and I'll have to rely on insurance to replace the bike.

Ray B.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts