StromTrooper banner

Secure your SunPass or EZ-Pass toll transponder!

10K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  Ameriom 
#1 ·
As any rider knows, stopping for tolls and fumbling for change is a bigger PITA than in a cage. It's also hard to find a place to secure your toll transponder from targets of opportunity.

And frankly, sometimes suction cups or velcro just won't cut it on a bike. I've lost one suction-cupped SunPass transponder in the middle of a tropical downpour (don't ask) and always feel leery about leaving transponders unprotected in parking garages and downtown streets.

My solution on the DL1000 was to secure my SunPass transponder with a leftover piece of metal band between the mounting bolts of the Madstad bracket shown below. Very self explanatory, just unbolt the windscreen, cut your metal band to fit, and re-assemble using the regular bolts of your Madstad bracket.

Head-on view:

Right (starboard) bracket:

Left (port) bracket:

Top view:

Normal view standing near the Vee:

The SunPass transponder is still easily visible beneath a clear windscreen, but I plan to replace the factory windscreen with a tinted shorty version soon. Even if you use a clear windscreen, it would still take a dedicated thief 2-3 minutes to remove the windscreen and metal bracket to reach the transponder. You can replace the bracket screws with optional Torx bits for an added bit of security.

Hope this simple mod helps fellow riders who use EZ-Pass or SunPass toll transponders on their Madstad brackets!

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
I had a reflective sticker over mine that killed it. I wouldn't use metal to hold it down. 3M dual lock is what I used on Norm's bike.

#6 ·
I had a reflective sticker over mine that killed it. I wouldn't use metal to hold it down. 3M dual lock is what I used on Norm's bike.
Good points.

If I run into problems with the metal banding on my transponder, then I'll probably go this route. My two concerns were minimizing number of layers between transponder and toll reader, and making the transponder theft-proof vs random passerby.

#7 ·
I keep my EZ pass in one of the inside pockets of my tourmaster riding jacket. I've never had a problem with the toll booth readers and I don't worry about losing it or it being stolen.

When I ride my Wing, no need to switch anything since the EZ pass is in my pocket.

#8 ·
Rumor has it that around where I live if you ride your motorcycle within about a foot or so of the dashed white line when you're going under the toll gates that the cameras don't even see you at all. 100% invisible/free. :yesnod:

#9 ·
That can prevent the pass from reading but not evade the cameras. I tried carrying the pass in my jacket breast pocket when I got the new bike. Some gates would read it and some wouldn't. Because of that experiment, I got a note to trade in my pass.

#11 · (Edited)
I carry my I-Pass in my upper left chest pocket in a little pouch on a lanyard. In Illinois I just leave it my pocket and it has been read every time except once last September when it used my license plate. The pouch and lanyard (so I don't drop it) are for other states where sometimes it has to be removed from the pocket and a few where I have wave it around.

#20 ·
No need to mount pass.

I don't even carry mine. I just registered my license plate on the website for Sunpass and just drive right through. I know it costs a few cents more. I don't use it often and it's cheaper than replacing a lost/stolen unit.

#21 ·
here's an idea based on where i mount my garage door opener and gopro remote.

I bought the full shelf from AdventureTech. once installed, i put velcro on the shelf on which to place the small devices. it works well, even with the vibration of the shelf. I had a fastrack device for a while and they aren't much larger/heavier than both of my example devices combined so i'm pretty sure it'll work and be secure.

just food for thought.

FYI: when in the LA area, the express lanes on the 10 and 110 are free to motorcycles and you don't even need a transponder. the 91, however, while free, still needs a transponder.

#22 ·
Lucky over here, don't need to carry our E tag, just have it registered. No extra charge.

#24 ·
As any rider knows, stopping for tolls and fumbling for change is a bigger PITA than in a cage. It's also hard to find a place to secure your toll transponder from targets of opportunity.

And frankly, sometimes suction cups or velcro just won't cut it on a bike. I've lost one suction-cupped SunPass transponder in the middle of a tropical downpour (don't ask) and always feel leery about leaving transponders unprotected in parking garages and downtown streets.

My solution on the DL1000 was to secure my SunPass transponder with a leftover piece of metal band between the mounting bolts of the Madstad bracket shown below. Very self explanatory, just unbolt the windscreen, cut your metal band to fit, and re-assemble using the regular bolts of your Madstad bracket.

Head-on view:

Left (port) bracket:

Top view:

The SunPass transponder is still easily visible beneath a clear windscreen, but I plan to replace the factory windscreen with a tinted shorty version soon. Even if you use a clear windscreen, it would still take a dedicated thief 2-3 minutes to remove the windscreen and metal bracket to reach the transponder. You can replace the bracket screws with optional Torx bits for an added bit of security.

Hope this simple mod helps fellow riders who use EZ-Pass or SunPass toll transponders on their Madstad brackets!

Head-on view:

Left (port) bracket:

Top view:

I thought it might be good to leave some current info.
Nowadays the transponder is a little chip embedded in a piece of sticky transparent film the is placed in the center of a MC headlight. It costs nothing and there are different payment options: https://thetollroads.com/
More specifically: https://thetollroads.com/search/node?ss360Query=motorcycles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.