StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should the STP cycle when the key is turned to on? Should they be open or closed on startup? Mine don't cycle and are open on startup. Could this cause the operating problems I have? (See Won't run, bad idle.)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. OK, I thought they should cycle but mine don't. So the question now is why don't they cycle? They just jiggle a bit. If I turn the nut on the front of the stepper motor the STP can be closed and opened. So they are not jammed. But if I close them, and turn the key on, they open!!! It's as if the ECU dosen't know what position the STP are in. I have a TPS on order, maybe I should have ordered a STPS also?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Is this a 650 or 1000? What year?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I did a lot of work on my K7 Wee throttle bodies but I see now the K6 has a different throttle body and servo setup.

Here is a youtube vid that might help DL650 STVA repair but in this case the rider was getting a FI error but it does confirm the secondaries should move when you first turn on the bike.

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the last mile or so of trying to get my sick bike home, I had FI alternate with time in the display. I have not been able to get that indication again, nor are there any codes in dealer mode. In the vid, the secondaries are stuck, that is not my problem. If I close the secondaries by turning the nut on the front of the stepper motor, they will open fully and without any strain when I turn the key on. I ordered a TPS, maybe I should have ordered the one for the secondaries also. Guess I'm not riding to Americade this year.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New TPS

Installed a new TPS, same result. STP open but do not close, cycle. Oddly enough, I forgot to reconnect the TPS afted checking it. When I turned the key to on with the TPS disconnected the STP cycled!!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but the prep-to-start of 100% open, 100% closed to 10% open was for the K7 not your K6. In 2007 the throttle body and ECU design were changed dramatically from 2006 so that sequence doesn't seem to apply. The vid I posted is for a 2006 or earlier because it has the STVA (secondary throttle valve actuator) on the front throttle body like yours whereas the 2007 and later has the STVA on the rear throttle body. In any case, that vid shows the secondaries just open 100% on prep-to-start which may be normal for your model. If you unplug the sensor then its probably hunting for a signal/location and you should get an error code.

Sometimes with a difficult troubleshooting case like this you need to take a step back, start over and check all your assumptions and previous tests to figure out what you are certain has been ruled out and what are the remaining possible causes. Perhaps you can invite a friend over who has motorcycle or mechanical experience as a fresh pair of eyes. I wish I could be more help but it is difficult to troubleshoot over the internet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tested fuel pressure last night, 43psi. Thought what the hell, check to see that everything is connected, put the tank back on and see what happens. WTF?? STP cycle!! They didn't do that last night and I didn't change anything. It starts and idles, revs OK. Set TPS to -C00 with motor off, after warm up, adjusted a bit more. What a PITA! Unfortunately, life intrudes again and I won't have a chance to test ride for a few days. But now I'm really confused, why did it crap out in the first place, and why is it running now? Partially clogged injectors might have made it run badly, cleaned well flushed in both directions, but that would not have kept the STP from cycling.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
What year is your ride (not listed in your profile) and what exactly transpires with the STV, when you turn on the ignition before starting?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts