StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to put this out there. I did a few simple mods to my Vee, K&N air filter, JSD ignition advancer removed the stock muffler baffles. It was not until I removed the butterfly secondaries though that the real performance of this bike came to life. For such an easy thing to do it yields a lot of satisfaction. Kudos to all of you Strommers for the advice to do it. The acceleration now without the secondaries is amazing, she just pulls and pulls all the way through the rev range. Highly recommended. I also lowered the front suspension and cranked down the spring rate, as well as in the rear. The handling is much improved as well. Now if I can only stop the pre-tank slapper weaving at high speed. This bike is truly the one that can do it all.

·
Registered
275 Posts
+1

I removed mine last night and I am happy with the improvement. I would still like to re-map, as my Vee is still a little rough on the low end. But removing the 2nd-aries was a good move.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Can you guys direct me to any posts/webpages where I can understand what you're talking about and how I could do this myself?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try running a search for "removing secondaries". There are numerous posts on the topic, which is why I called my post a rehash. Basically what you do is remove the tank. Take the top of the air box off. You will see the two air intake stacks, two black rubber stacks with round butterfly valves. There will be 2 sets of butterfly valves per stack. You want to remove the ones closest to you. Also, make sure you keep the butterfly closed when you remove the screws so they don't fall into the engine. Also the screws are brass and will not react to magnetic screw drivers to be careful there. I also punched 2 in inch diameter holes into the top of the air box cover to bring in more air. I think the improvement is amazing.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Unaccustomed as I am, I'll take this opportunity to suggest you use the search function. You would likely find a number of hits there.....like more than 100.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Unaccustomed as I am, I'll take this opportunity to suggest you use the search function. You would likely find a number of hits there.....like more than 100.
That was very subtle and "PC" Heavy!!
No disclaimer needed

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Hmmm... I should probably take note of how he did that! :rolleyes:

Heavy and "PC" in the same post... who'da thunk it? :mrgreen: :twisted:
I saw the guy didn't have many posts so I went easy. I didn't want eveyone, including bobbyk, accusing me of attacking everyone.

Just so you don't think I'm losing my touch.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Maybe I'll put mine back in...

Mine have been out for so long I forget any improvement it made. If I put them back in I can get excited all over again when I take them out:D

My buddy's ZX14 are removed and it made a night and day difference. Balls to the wall from the getgo.

·
Registered
51 Posts
can you explain the tank slapper reference? my dl is in the shop getting JSD mod, k&n air filter, air shifter, lowered front end, lower rear, 6" bolt on extended swingarm extensions, longer chain I am going to drag race this are you getting the tank slap for any reason you know of? will a fork stablizer help?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts