StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were a few posted about removing the secondaries on the 1000. Did anybody ever find out if removing them on the 650 does any good?

K

·
0 Posts
ah, ok cool, i'm gonna try that.
if you remove them, then put them back on if you need maintenance, will the service guys be able to tell they were ever off?

·
Registered
360 Posts
keithrj said:
ah, ok cool, i'm gonna try that.
if you remove them, then put them back on if you need maintenance, will the service guys be able to tell they were ever off?
They will if you booger up the screw heads. :wink:

K

·
0 Posts
i'll be very, very careful then

so this will help over all performance not just top end?
why were they put on there in the first place then?
i'm not gonna blow my engine am i?

·
Registered
137 Posts
keithrj said:

Tell us what happens :D

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I'm curious too, but I'm also skeptical since the 650 doesn't have the FI problems that the 1k does. The secondary removal seems to be more of a cure to a problem, rather than a performance modification.

K

·
0 Posts
Corpsie said:
keithrj said:

Tell us what happens :D
will do, i'll take the secondaries off when i get it back from the dealer, and i'm running up to gainseville friday night after work, i'm gonna pour some of that "off-road only octane booster" in it and top it off with premium and try to find my top speed, i've got the GPS for when the speedo stops 8)

·
Registered
137 Posts
The fuel won't start combustion at the proper time and or won't burn completely. The engine was designed and calibrated to use regular octane fuel.

K

·
0 Posts
asteriksi said:
So did anyone really try this removal on 650?
not yet...i was waiting to do it when i needed to do my next oil change and self-inspection of everything...which is going to be very soon...so hopefully within the month i'll have them off.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Octane booster and premium fuel is not power in a bottle UNLESS an engine is designed to use high octane. It does nothing good for an engine that isn't designed to run on it, waste of money and it can in fact lead to added deposits in the combustion chamber which can result in hot spots and detonation, which then one uses higher octane to reduce the detonation and the cycle continues.

A

·
0 Posts
One thing I started wondering, doesn't it need FI to be remapped if these secondaries are removed from air intake system?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nope, if anything the bike may run a wee bit richer on the top end, where the 1000 ecm uses these as speed limiter by shutting down air flow in the higher gears.

In the mid range these are used to "smooth" the feel of the power delivery so the ecm is expecting to get to the same fuel air ratio, without them the only thing missing is the "smooth"ness. They usually set at about 50-60% open and fully open up slowly when the throttle is applied.

·
Registered
10 Posts
650 Wee and the Secondaries

I have a 05 wee and did remove the secondaries. :twisted: I am very happy with the result. I am not too sure if the power is more but the response is well worth it. If you have not done it Do It.

·
Registered
38 Posts
More Opitions?

Anyone else take out the secondaries? I have been told its not that much of an improvement compared to the 1k bikes, I do not want to sacrifice reliability!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts