StromTrooper banner

Seattle => South America: August 2011 - August 2012

2404 Views 12 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  pulco
Hi folks!

I departed today on my epic 1-2 year trip to South America today. I couldn't have done it without you.

Wanted to leave Monday, then Tuesday, then Wednesday, and finally I pulled away from Seattle and safely made it to Yakima before dusk (I prefer not to ride at dusk for fear deer being more active). Also I noticed I hadn't tightened down the bolts holding on my brake lever and one bolt had come off! And the other was loose! I had swapped my handlebars recently and then recently have installed hand guards so I had to loosen the brake lever. Something more to add to my pre-ride checklist!

Headed to a motorcycle dealership tomorrow to get this fixed up.

More updates to come; but I need to go to sleep... big day of riding tomorrow to Summer Lake Hot Springs in Oregon!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
669 Posts
Feliz viaje!

Good luck and good riding David. Be safe and have fun.
The bike looks pretty loaded and top heavy, watch those soft patches and mud.

:hurray:

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Photo Album - Imgur

Here are few photos!

Or see below:
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/hLjXQ/embed"></iframe>

· Registered
42 Posts
Love the reports!

Dang arooni, you're my hero. I've been browsing the site for some time but had to join just to tell you that. You're living the dream my friend - what an adventure! I almost wish I understood Spanish just to understand your interview in Colombia. The spotify site - or at least the link you posted - isn't working BTW. A few questions and one request: Did you learn Spanish just to make the trip, or did you know it already? What prompted your quest? Do you intend to visit all countries? How will you get home from Tierra Del Fuego - or have you figured that out yet? Ride back? How many miles do you average per day (I know it probably varies based on terrain, weather, etc.)? Did you plan your route ahead of time or are you planning as you go? How often do you stay in hotels? The last question is how/when you do laundry? I can't imagine how many outfits you're able to take along but I'm betting not many. Last request: When finished, can you share some of your most important lessons learnt from making the journey? I hope to make a similar trip sometime and would like to avoid mistakes if I can.

· Registered
235 Posts
Really enjoyed that, David. Thanks for posting it.

Some of my jr. high school Spanish was kicking in. I almost understood parts of it.

I guess we shouldn't have fussed over getting those HT panniers on straight! They look a bit lopsided now. At least they're still on the bike. Didn't see any shots showing the canvas tank panniers. I'm betting those are long gone.

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

· Registered
235 Posts
Enjoyed looking at the pictures. Thanks for putting them online. Interesting to see pictures of some of the stuff I'd read about.

Clicked my bookmark to your SPOT link earlier today and was pleased to see that you're back on the road.

Looking forward to following the rest of the trip.

Ride safe and have fun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.