StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a lower seat for the Vee. I have already installed the Suzuki lower seat which only lowers the seat height by 20mm. I am looking at the Corbin seats and from what I read, it appears they provide close to a 50mm drop in seat height. I am curious to hear from others who may have installed a Corbin seat as to how much difference it actually makes and do the seats really install without any modifications to the bike (except for the seat locking)?

·
Registered
297 Posts
If your stock DL1000 has low miles on it and you were closer I would have traded you for my stock DL650 seat. But I can't go with out a seat and loss that one on one riding time with my baby. :var_24:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm 6'3" and my Corbin works perfect for me. Yes, as mentioned, wider and at a stop I rotate my hips forward to flatfoot. If I don't I'm on the balls of my feet as the seat width keeeps my thighs up. Most comfortable for riding over stock.
Install was straightforward. The lock studs just bolt on. It doesn't use the side hooks like stock but rather a tounge that slips under the tank mount.
Love it!

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
My new Corbin is just to the breakin point now. At 5'9" I can still reach the ground safely, both feet when backing up. As for comfort it is a mighty big difference over the stocker 650 and gel seat. The Corbin is a hard seat but provides excellant support in all the right places. I have not so far noticed any pressure points or discomfort on my old butt. Combined with the Cherdan backrest I am very happy. I also noticed it is much easier to sit up straight for better posture than the position the factory seats allowed.
The only thing I would want to change is having Corbin move the seating position 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch forward to let my arms hang a little more.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I am looking for a lower seat for the Vee. I have already installed the Suzuki lower seat which only lowers the seat height by 20mm. I am looking at the Corbin seats and from what I read, it appears they provide close to a 50mm drop in seat height. I am curious to hear from others who may have installed a Corbin seat as to how much difference it actually makes and do the seats really install without any modifications to the bike (except for the seat locking)?
Corbin Hole Shot sits lower than the Wee seat, slightly wider at the front but doesn't make you sit higher than the Wee seat.

No issue with locking, fits straight on where the stock seat does and key locks just the same as the original.

Sits you back slightly further than the original and has better back support for the rider as well better shape for the pillion.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
If your goal is to get your feet closer to the ground... Have you considered lowering links? I bought and installed one inch lowering links on my wife's 650, made a big, big difference in her comfort/confidence level to flat foot it at stops. They're inexpensive, and easy to install.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lowering links

I have considered lowering links but doesn't that just lower the back end of the bike making the headlights misaligned as you would now be riding nose up sort of?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Guys, Just got my first V. Its a little tall for me also (5'8") and i am definitely on my toes. I think I am going to try to swap my 1000seat for a 650 seat and see how that goes, then maybe go for the lowering links if thats not enough. Does anyone know if there is an after market seat out there that is meant for this? In the Dirtbike market there are tons but havnt been able to find one for the V's...

·
Registered
99 Posts
mhmmm, you would install the lowering links but also raise the front forks in the triple clamp the same amount. This lowers the front end and keeps the bike level.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
we loosened up the forks, lowered the front 3/4 inch, close enough and the bike handled great, seemed to corner even easier than before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an 04' 1000 and I just removed the black rubber spacers on the bottom of the seat and it seemed to make a difference. I would try that before any major mods

·
Registered
2 Posts
@ “mhmmm“ Just got my new Corbin for my DL650. It is MUCH LOWER than the stock seat. HOWEVER, the "net-lowering" is not noticed, because it is wider at the thighs, and forces a wider stance. At the end of the day, IT ACTUALLY SEEMS LIKE A HIGHER SEAT! I'm 5'9", with 32/33" inseam (for my height, that's long legs, short torso). With the OEM seat, I could stand flat with my combat boots; now I’m on the balls of my feet. Corbin allegedly knows about the stance-widening issue; presumably, that's why they lower the height.
2 big things I'm dissatisfied with regarding my Corbin seat. First, the longitudinal SEAMS are so big, they're almost like welts. Strommers may consider the two-piece Corbin, because it does not use the same seam pattern. The seams are very noticeable, but so far feels "ok." However, that's yet to be determined on a day ride. Second, and a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT: Corbin lowers the seat height drastically, so they have to compensate for how "bent" your knees are. If the seat is merely lowered, one’s knees would be more “scrunched up,“ like a sport bike. My estimation is that Corbin compensates for this by moving the seating position aft (seems like about 1-2 inches). I hopped on the new seat while on the center stand. The seat felt great, but when I went to grab the bars, I grabbed air!!! Unlike Water Warrior’s experience (post above), when I grab the bars, I am no longer in an upright seating position...more like a sport touring seating position:frown:!

Bar risers may help, not sure. Has anyone else experienced this? What about Corbin’s strict return policy? Any advice? :furious:

·
Registered
816 Posts
As someone else mentioned, the Corbin may be lower, but is wider. If your issue is you touching the ground, it may not help much.

Where are you in Ontario? I have a Corbin you are welcome to try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@ 2tall I am from Mississauga. I have been thinking about taking the spacers off the original seat (too busy enjoying the warm weather to get around to this right now).

·
Registered
371 Posts
Instead of taking the rubber spacers off, why not cut them on half. Just pop them off, take a small knife and slice in half and pop them back on. I'm not sure with the rubber spacers removed if the seat pan is going to hit the battery, but it will give you a rough feeling ride.

Also the seat is going to settle in a little bit the more your ride it, along with the bike suspension (you did not say how many miles were on your bike). Some times you just got to ride it to get things settled.

When I first got my bike it stood a bit tall for me (had to tipy toe) so I sent out my seat to get redone and lowered (Link), I cut the rubber feet on the seat in half (even the circular ones), and turn down the pre-load on the front and rear suspension so that it would sag 3" on each end (tank full), and finally got some big Dr Scholls shoe inserts inside my boots. I was happy after that.

Now that I have quite a few miles on the bike, the seat and suspension settled in, I have put the sag of the suspension back to 2" and a happy camper on the bike. Yea, I still do keep the Dr Scholls in the boots tho..

You still have a few more options to go before spending money on a new seat. Just letting you know.

While there are various opinions in regards to Spencers seat mods, I my self am completely happy with mine and it makes riding on the bike more enjoyable. To gauge my opinion with the stock seat, I found the stock ok for an hour or so.

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
I see this post is getting a bit dated, but thought i would toss in a comment anyways.

A friend of mine bought a Wee recently. It came with the Wee seat and a Vee seat. He was a new rider so i was asked to ride it home.

It was 180km to get home so i had a good chance to try both seats, and it wasn't by choice.

The Wee seat lasted 50km and my arse was killing me. It seemed to compact down and no padding after that. Was horrible. I was so happy to have the chance to switch it out.

I got home on the Vee seat. Much more comfortable.

Anyone thinking of switching from Vee to Wee to lower the bike, i would NOT recommend this.

On my Vee i have lowered wishbones and the Vee seat. It's fantastic. No issues with cornering or clearance etc, although i did notice the front forks tend to bottom out on large potholes as they were also lowered to match the lowered rear end. I suppose a stiffer fork spring would take care of that.

Thats my 2c.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts