StromTrooper banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
I am a big fan of the Sit & Fly cover I had on my 650. The best feature is the air flow it allows on hot days. I took it off the 650 before I sold it, and dropped it off the other day to an upholstery guy in town. He is going to test sew a strip using the back end material. I have asked him to sew an edge material to wrap around the seat edge at least 1/2" after stapling on, so the seat cover itself does not touch the paint on the tank and frame. I found the "brillo pad" damaged the paint on the 650 tank. He has similar anti-slip material to the existing seat edge. He is just doing the front section. Will post when done, but these guys are really busy these days.

I installed the XXL on my 650. I also installed a piece of 3M film, which I cut to fit, on the back of the tank👍.
Sit&Fly - seat cover -
Good idea on the film, but the existing 1050 seat is so tight to the tank though, that I don't think the existing wrap around style Sit&Fly seat cover would allow the seat to fit back on. It is also very narrow and high at the front, so any of their styles wouldn't be narrow or tight enough to the curve if the seat front. That is why I am trying the stapled option. Fingers crossed.

Have you looked at the RDL sport seat option ? I can't find pricing for that on their web page, but it's wider, more sq inches seating space, a bit like Terry's seats.
I had the Adcox seat on my 2012 650, but went with RDL on my Vee. It's the second RDL I've had, and they just cannot be beat. I'm within a couple hour ride from them, so that helped me decide. I bought my 2014 Vee used, just before my annual summer trip. I knew 400 mile days on the stock seat would be painful, Terry was busy for months, RDL had a backlog, so I ended up purchasing a Shad comfort seat, hoping to make the long days tolerable. I was wrong. I spent a bit over $350 on something that gave very little improvement in comfort. I got home after a two week ride and told my wife, I love the bike, I plan on keeping it, butI need a comfortable seat, period. She said, buy a Russell. We loved our last one. Every moment spent on the bike, that seat matters. I'll leave home, ride to the Oregon coast, go north or south on 101, have a coffee and a lunch stop, clocking more than 400 miles when I get home, and never once, even think about the seat or have any discomfort or soreness. It's the main interface between me and the bike, and once soreness or discomfort sets in, it's miserable. I spend most of the cost of a single RDL on that Shad seat, then sold it for half what I paid, and paid half the shipping across country, I learned a lesson. Just spend the money, once, and be happy. If you can just get Russell to do the riders seat, you'll spend less than I did, my wife rides with me occasionally, and wanted the passenger seat done too, but, if you think you'll keep the bike for a while, it's an investment you may appreciate over and over.

That cover is their "sunbrella" fabric. Very durable, won't get hot in the sun or cold in winter, not slippery like vinyl, or require a lot of maintenance like leather.
so far, I'm pretty happy with it.

I went the Seth Laam route and very happy with it. Seth was able to make my seat comfortable without the height of the RDL. not as comfortable as an RDL but way better than stock.

sorry, not sure why it rotated the pictures

All butts are different... I got a Saddleman off the shelf unit. It's much better than stock. It's also a bit better IMO than the Shad I have, all of this relative to my particular butt. It's not that much cheaper than the other built-to-the-butt options, maybe 20% less? But you can get one much more quickly.

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Duh, sorry, didn't catch that this is a 1050 thread, I had two glasses of wine with dinner, woohoo. My bike is a 2018 1000, FYI. I don't know whether they have a 1050 model available yet.

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Nate you might try a Saddlemen gel pad. They make a flat size comparable to the stock seat that might be a tad better than the stocker plank board. I didn't much care for the constant moving of the airhawk when the air transferred around. Sargent should have their seat soon according to their website. I have the RDL, it's all day comfort for sure, but agree the overkill of the size can be intrusive and honestly I'd go Sargent for a second saddle to have in the house for dirt trails and that sort of riding.
Offer still stands to come check out my RDL whenever you want since you let me ride your bike before I purchased my 1050xt. Just DM me if you want to meet up. I'm about 5 miles down the road from ya in Fort Mill.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Nate you might try a Saddlemen gel pad. They make a flat size comparable to the stock seat that might be a tad better than the stocker plank board. I didn't much care for the constant moving of the airhawk when the air transferred around. Sargent should have their seat soon according to their website. I have the RDL, it's all day comfort for sure, but agree the overkill of the size can be intrusive and honestly I'd go Sargent for a second saddle to have in the house for dirt trails and that sort of riding.
Offer still stands to come check out my RDL whenever you want since you let me ride your bike before I purchased my 1050xt. Just DM me if you want to meet up. I'm about 5 miles down the road from ya in Fort Mill.
I probably need to get over there. I love the RDL for comfort, nothing beats them. Did you get the driver only, or front and rear RDLs?

Has anyone stumbled on any new seat options for the 1050?

I like the RDL option for comfort but hesitant as I don't want to increase the height and not sure I like how they look on the bike.... but might cave and go that direction.

BTW - I emailed Sargent and they bascially said "maybe August" but also said they really have no idea. Pretty disappointing response from them.

Has anyone stumbled on any new seat options for the 1050?

I like the RDL option for comfort but hesitant as I don't want to increase the height and not sure I like how they look on the bike.... but might cave and go that direction.
Strangely enough I get compliments on how my bike looks all the time. Maybe the seat is balanced by my 58 liter topcase?

..Tom

Standard seat.

It's hard to remember not having it but when stock I had the seat in high position and with the RDL I have it in the standard position. I think they are roughly the same height. The with might make it difficult for some but sliding ahead can work around it.

..Tom

In heading out to Calgary on July 4th. The first day will be 1,126 km. The 2nd 1,140 km. The 3rd will get me to Calgary with 983 km

With my Russel Day Long my butt will be totally happy.

..Tom

In heading out to Calgary on July 4th. The first day will be 1,126 km. The 2nd 1,140 km. The 3rd will get me to Calgary with 983 km

With my Russel Day Long my butt will be totally happy.

..Tom
Great trip. Love Calgary and entire area.

Last question- how tall are you snd what’s your inseam?

Sorry about all of these questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.