StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 650 and I was wondering if anyone out there had any opinions about different seats. I was considering getting the tall touring seat but am a little hesitant about putting down $200 for a seat I've heard nothing about. Any coments anyone?:confused:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thats cheap. I put down 350 on a Sergeant that Id never sat on. Im glad I did though!

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
since buying a suzuki gel seat from another list member, i never notice my seat any more. i think that's the best compliment you can pay a seat.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I replaced my stock seat with a gel seat about three years ago....Last year on my way back from the StromFestWest in Reno I did a "Ride In" at Corbin. WOW what a difference when the seat is tailored to my ergonomically incorrect backside. The Gel seat was good. . .for about 350 miles before I needed some relief. The Kustom Corbin is a ride all day seat. Worth the money imho if you do any long rides!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Forget about the tall touring seat for the 650. It is a stock DL1000 seat. See if you can trade seats with a 1000 rider who wants a lower seat or at least pick up a used one from a 1000 rider who bought an aftermarket seat. A gel seat is possibility too.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My Corbin is much better than stock but stock isn't the worst seat believe me.I would give the stock a shot maybe 3k and then shop.The Corbin puts me up on my tippy toes until it gets a nose job.

Give stock a chance then start spending money till yur butt stops hurting.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
I recently bought a 650 and I was wondering if anyone out there had any opinions about different seats. I was considering getting the tall touring seat but am a little hesitant about putting down $200 for a seat I've heard nothing about. Any coments anyone?:confused:
Seats are very much individual preference, what's great for one person may be horrible for another.
That said, my take is:
Stock 650 seat; not awful, but not good either
Stock 1000 seat; an improvement, but not great.
Corbin; wonderful!! I did a 12 hour day on it last fall and could have kept going. Was a little surprised, I've had Corbins on other bikes and they weren't this good.

Had a Russell on my Concours, it was excellent.

The gel seat from suzuki looks like it might be a good option, if I hadn't gotten a good deal on the Corbin I'd have tried one.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Best seat I've ever owned is my Russell Day-Long. Can do 500 miles without any problems. But not cheap at $770 for all leather.

·
Registered
52 Posts
suzuki gel seat

Stock seat was terrible.
Replaced with Suzuki gel seat ,Comfortable enough that i could drive from Nova Scotia to Ontario 20 hours straight.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The gel seat has trouble with weather extremes in that it holds heat and cold a long time. A sheepskin pad is a common accessory.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
The gel seat has trouble with weather extremes in that it holds heat and cold a long time. A sheepskin pad is a common accessory.

What GreyWolf said.

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
My gel is actually pretty darn good, especially since it has gotten broken in a bit. But.......I still really want that Corbin eventually.:mrgreen: I actually think Corbin makes the Gel seat for Suzuki?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I've noticed a big improvement to the stock seat by adding an Alaska Leather sheepskin butt pad. The Strom takes the medium size, and I ordered the deluxe model. Cooler in hot weather and warmer in the cold. LD (long distance) Comfort riding shorts are a big help also. Lots of riders also use the taxi beads and swear by them. I haven't tried those, but with the LD comfort shorts and sheepskin butt pad the seat was a non-factor on a 2,000+ mile 6 day trip to Deals Gap and the Blue Ridge Parkway last summer.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yes, the first time I roasted my backside was the last time on a gel seat. Replaced with a Sargent. Unfortunately I still suffer from hip pain after about 2 hours on the dl1000. Have yet to solve that one. My reverse aging machine still is not functional.:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I bought a Sargent seat from a fellow member and it fits me great. I hardly even notice the seat as compared to the stock seat. I wish I could say the same about the Mustang seat I put on my Sportster.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought my '07 DL650 with a Suzuki Gel Seat already on it - very comfy but would probably feel better with a sheepskin on it too (if it doesn't put me too much higher in sitting position).

According to his photos, Dan Vesel's sheepskins seem to be perfect for adding snaps that go just under the seat pan that would allow for a quick removal/shakeout, etc. Don't know if the sewn together skin pieces are comfortable - he says they are. Still, I'd request a one piece of equal thickness...

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I have a custom Rick Mayer saddle, made for my butt on my Strom; 800-mile day comfortable!

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Here is the top list.

#1. Custom seat from Bill or Russel Mayers.

#2. Sergent or Corbin

#3. Suzuki Gel seat

#4. Stock

Interestingly, the price is also in the same order.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Everybody's different.

Nothing new here. I have a Sargent and like it.

I have a gel seat on my DRZ and it holds way to much heat when parked in the sun.

I found the stock seat ok until about 900 miles into a three day weekend.
I've taken the Sargent over 3000 miles on a 9.5 day trip to Nova Scotia and hardly noticed the seat.

I'll probably buy another Sargent or a Corbin for my wife's Wee.

I think that a seat breaks in the rider almost as much as the rider breaks in a seat. The same thing occurs when you start riding a bike after a long break and your throttle wrist gets sore. If you ride enough you build up the muscles for it. Since I own a stock DRZ400s seat I also know how uncomfortable a seat can be. You can't always break in the human, sometimes you just have to try some available seats and find the one that best matches your butt. I did that on a group ride before buying the Sargent.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts