StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an' 06 DL 1000. I love it but both seats I have grow teeth after about 40 minutes. The stocker as well as the leather Corbin. (its too tall anyway)
Has anyone had experience with the Gel Channel technology from Saddleman or the Sargent models for adv tours? I'm 5'8" 180lb 32 inseam so I dont require a taller one that's for sure. I could afford a few mm but that's it. I have no interest in a lowering link. I tried that and the bike lost the confidence instilling ride. Stock height is good. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
55 Posts
The best advice I can offer is to do a search on this forum. There are lots of threads on the topic.
I still have the stock seat. I'm hoping to meet up with a few strommers this summer and see if they'll let me sit on their Corbins or Sargeants, so I can make a decision. From what I've read, I think it'll be the Sargeant.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Did you try lowering the front and rear equally?

Take a vacation ride to Rich O'Connor's shop near Seattle and have a custom seat made to fit you. I have one, and it's great. Rich offers free camping at his shop or an apartment (by prior reservation) for just the cost of cleaning. You'll need a reservation for the day to make the seat.
Rich's Custom Seat Gallery

·
Registered
458 Posts
Rich's

I agree with PTRider. I live an hour from Rich's shop in Kingston so didn't have to spend the night. He takes your seat and strips it down to just the white plastic and layer by layer builds up a double density foam, with you frequently sitting on the seat as this is done. I debated with myself about doing this "ride-in" process with the Russell Day Long at Mt. Shasta Calif. That is a "day-long" ride for me from Seattle, about like you in AL to SEA, and I knew I'd be so sore I'd have rest up a couple days before I could do a seat fitting. That turned the Russell into a $1.5k project. There are acceptable $60-70 per night motels close to Kingston but I think Rich charges less for his apt, which is above the shop. Good luck. BTW, Rich will install a heating pad for extra cost that only draws 8 watts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm happy with the fit and finish of my seat from Terry Adcox but I've only had limited seat time with the winter weather. Even with limited seat time it's noticeably better than the stock seat, especially with the wife riding pillion.

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
I have an' 06 DL 1000. I love it but both seats I have grow teeth after about 40 minutes. The stocker as well as the leather Corbin. (its too tall anyway)
Has anyone had experience with the Gel Channel technology from Saddleman or the Sargent models for adv tours? I'm 5'8" 180lb 32 inseam so I don't require a taller one that's for sure. I could afford a few mm but that's it. I have no interest in a lowering link. I tried that and the bike lost the confidence instilling ride. Stock height is good. Thanks for your help
I've a Saddlemen seat. It 'feels' bit higher than stock (3/4"?) than the DL650 seat (my bike). The DL1000 has a higher seat than the 650, so I imagine they'd be about the same for you. The saddlemen does feel a bit firmer, due to it's varying layers/densities of foam, but once broken in, it settles in fine.

I've been on some long, all day adventures on the Saddlemen seat, and it's fantastic - the bicycle seat style cutout feels weird at first, but keeps you from getting sore/numb down there, and provides a bit of air circulation for the boys. I don't like those tractor style seats - had one for about a year. Didn't like how those saddles keep you in one place, I like to move around from time to time, and the Saddlemen seat lets me do that. It's a great seat! LOVE IT!

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Has anyone had experience with the Gel Channel technology from Saddleman or the Sargent models for adv tours? I'm 5'8" 180lb 32 inseam so I dont require a taller one that's for sure. I could afford a few mm but that's it. I have no interest in a lowering link. I tried that and the bike lost the confidence instilling ride. Stock height is good. Thanks for your help
I think it's important to identify in what way it's uncomfortable. Everyone's butt is different. For me a Beadrider was enough to do a Saddlesore 1000 without the seat being a factor.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The Corbin seat is great if you have a Corbin butt. They're good seats, but they don't work for everybody. I'm a great fan of the Russell Daylong saddle. I've had several and can vouch for their comfort. It's a true custom seat, made to fit YOU and no one else. True, it's a "tractor-style" seat, but it works for me. Doesn't for others. They will make the seat any way you want it to be made so it will suit all your needs.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have a Sargent, and I'm happy with it...
However, the *only* seat I've never seen a 'no-go' review of was the Russell Day-Long. You can find positive and negative reviews of just about any other seat out there...

It's ugly (IMHO, for a dual-sport), but seems to have a very convicted fan base...

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
If you're that uncomfortable on the stock seat get a custom one done and don't screw around with a 'seat in a box'.
Rich will do a good job, so will Seth Laam, either of the Mayer's and of course Russell. I've had seats by all of them and all can build a good seat.
Seth is probably the least expensive and is obsessive about customer service.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have a Sargent, and I'm happy with it...
However, the *only* seat I've never seen a 'no-go' review of was the Russell Day-Long. You can find positive and negative reviews of just about any other seat out there...

It's ugly (IMHO, for a dual-sport), but seems to have a very convicted fan base...
I have seen exactly ONE 'no-go' for a RDL saddle, I think it may have been here. I asked what the complaint was. Guy said he didn't like the angle or something, never sent it back for tweaking, just didn't think it was worth it.

Turns out my butt is very particular. I've had pads, cushions, sheepskins, tall seats, gel seats, etc. The only seat I've ever been happy on is the RDL. The price is hard to swallow, and it's not pretty, but I reached a point at which I was ready to give up motorcycling because of the seat pain. The RDL was my Hail Mary pass and thankfully it scored.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've a Saddlemen seat.

the bicycle seat style cutout feels weird at first, but keeps you from getting sore/numb down there, and provides a bit of air circulation for the boys
I like your Saddleman seat, though it's lower than what I'd want. The general style, with the cutout, makes sense as that's an area that can get pretty sore/numb. I too can't see a tractor type seat - I need the freedom to move around. Here I would say to each their own - but get it right for yourself.

I am rebuilding my custom-made seat now (before the season starts) because it has started to compress after five years of use and is no longer comfortable. I want to make a few mods anyway. An important consideration for me is having a seat where my weight rests on my "sitting bones", with no pressure where it isn't wanted.

That perineum area betwixt your legs, male or female, is labeled one huge erogenous zone according to the Wikipedia article I looked at to make sure I had the spelling right. After five or eight hours in a poorly designed saddle, it is anything but erogenous. Masochists may disagree.

Other riders, I've read on this forum, are bothered by pressure on the base of the spine, or the inner legs where the side of the seat digs in, or something else. Your seat may not fit your riding style, rather than it being a comfort issue. It's important to determine what it is about a seat that bothers you, and have someone (or yourself) do something about it. It may take more than one fitting. Buying a seat by name because someone else likes it works much of the time, but may not be your solution.

My $0.02

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've tried Corbins on a KLR and a Bandit and loved em. Tried it on my FJR and didn't. Tried a Russell on my FJR and HATED it! Then put a Sargent on my FJR and its much better. I've got a factory gel seat on my glee now and like it much better than stock. That being said, I will be sending my stock seat in soon for it to become a heated LAAM.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The unfortunate thing is that no two butts are alike, and what one kind of seat works for some, won't necessarily work for others. So, often it takes some experimenting with different seats to find the one that works for you. The down side is that none off the aftermarket seats. Is cheap, and you. Always lose money when a seat doesn't work out and you have to sell it. The sometimes you hit a homerun the first time.

·
Registered
773 Posts
There's the second thumbs down on a RDL I've ever seen (unless I'm remembering you making this comment months ago).

What did you hate about it?
That's the very 1st negative review of the RDL I've ever seen.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Another vote for the Terry Adcox seat. I had a Russel on a bike a few years ago, we live close enough, we did the ride in for custom fitting. It was excellent, but this time around I just couldn't bring myself to spend quite that much $$. I emailed back and forth with Terry, shipped it in, and for about half of what I paid on the Russel, I'm very happy with it. He raised it an inch, and gave me the wider flatter firmer seating position that is comfortable, for me all day. I had him do both rider and pillion, hoping my wife would be more comfortable too, she says it got a little nicer, but I really noticed an improvement.

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
The thing I don't like about tractor seat style saddles is that they usually have a big lunk of material in the front, right where 'the boys' need room to lounge about and relax. It literally drove me nutz, when I had a custom tractor style saddle (rick mayer). Pretty much crowded me nutz, and made for a fidget fest to get everything placed just so...... I even put blocks of wood on the nose of the saddle held down with tie downs to break down the foam, to no avail. I also hated the confined feeling, but on long rides, these types of seats always win the day, for they support and cradle your bum to the max......I'm willing to trade that ultimate 'day-long' design, for some ramble room.

I punted, gambled on a Saddlemen since I'm familiar with cutout bicycle seats, it was a natural choice. I guess the most difficult choice is figuring out if you're a tractor saddle person, or a flat-top saddle person!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts