StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. New here, and thinking hard about buying the new 2012 650 Vstrom. I'm 6'1" with 32" inseam, and have always ridden dirt bikes, so seat height has never been an issue. Seat to peg distance is another matter, however.

The other bike I was considering is the Kawasaki Versys, but after riding a friends, I noticed how much closer the seat to peg height was compared to my current XR650R.

Can anyone tell me what the seat to peg height is on the new 650? Anyone ever compared it to any other bike in this category for the same reason? With my bad knees, I need all the space I can get.
Thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Never knew about that site; thanks! Looking at it though, it shows my buddies Versys (2008) as actually having less knee bend (80 deg. as opposed to 82 deg. for the Strom). All I've read says the Strom is a bigger bike, so is that site accurate? Shows my XRR as 87 deg.? I do have a bit taller gel seat on mine, but no way it can be that much different.

**weird, I show two thousand eight for my buddies year in the "preview" pane, but the post shows a smiley face, LOL.**

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops. Guess I was thinking about that backwards. Greater the angle, more the space, so that would make the Strom a bit better fit for sure.

·
38,103 Posts
8 followed by ) is an emoticon. That happens occasionally. Use parentheses carefully.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm also 6'1, not sure what my inseam is but but i do have long legs. I dont feel cramped, but I would like a higher seat.

·
Registered
618 Posts
...With my bad knees, I need all the space I can get.
Thanks.
I found my Wee in its stock form to be unbearable for any distance. I'm a little over 6'2" with ~35" inseam. After adding a Suzuki gel seat (which boosts the height about 3/4"), and Richland Rick foot peg extenders (which lowers the pegs 1"), I am quite comfortable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the gel seat the same as the "tall seat" listed under accessories?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Is the gel seat the same as the "tall seat" listed under accessories?
No. I think the tall seat is just the seat from the Vee. The seat for the Vee will fit the Wee, but sits about 3/4" higher (the same height as gel seat). There is also a tall touring seat that sits a little higher yet. Neither of them, however, have the gel.

·
38,103 Posts
There is no gel seat listed for the 2012. On the older models, the gel seat was between the stock seat and tall seat in height. The gel seat was the only one with gel. All others only had foam.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Oops, I missed that you were looking at the 2012. I guess the gel seat is not an option (yet). I bet they will make one before long however, because they sold a lot of them for the earlier models.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Best bet may be to sit on one in the showroom, esp one with a center stand if you are interested in the riding position.
I am 6ft with 32 inch inseam and the fit is fine for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts