StromTrooper banner

SEAT Tinkering...good results

3645 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  AceRider
I have spent a lot of time Dual Sport riding on KTM seats. I have owned a Guts seat(very nice), etc. I changed bikes faster than I could justify custom seats. I ended up using a layer of thick wetsuit neoprene, and a thin layer over top that I could staple into my seat. Off and on easy enough for DS rides only. i would remove it for trail and track specific.
Anywho, I peeled back the stocker seat cover on the wee, took 2 layers of thick neoprene, and one layer of the white bunting material (it came with a seat cover for an old CB I am working on). The bunting gives it a smooth finish, and a little softer hit. I made a template out of a piece of cloth, and just cut everyrthing to fit.(only worked on the rider section, did not touch passenger section). Stapled the stocker cover back down( a bit tight in only a few spots) I accomplished making the seat wider, a bit taller, and less prone to shove me sack into the tank. Feels a lot better, but have not ridden for more than an hour. Will let report back after a longer stretch.
(this was not a seat comparison, so I posted it. please move it for me if it belongs in the SEAT thread.)
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
1,751 Posts
there's a site dedicated to doing something like these:
Comfort Basics

lots of info to get u thinking and tinkering - spent some time to mod the seat to your liking - no one else can spend the hours to mod your seats, let u test for hours, then reshape - this process is labourous.

Once everything is finished, put a thin covering foam on - hides on the imperfection when u recover the seat. If the shape changes too much, u will still need to get someone to sew a new cover - at least u know u got a personalised seat which only fits u

What mine looks like half way through:

----
i didnt take any pic when i finish the remolding, but this is the final result after professional recovering:

· Registered
9,982 Posts
Also

Took my seat to a local shop this past winter, had them re-pad the seat with a layer of gel padding (for the rider, not the passenger, since I rarely ride 2-up), covered by a thin layer of foam, and re-using the stock cover, although the front is a bit taller (which was fine with me). Around $100, and the gel seat geos a long ways towards soaking up most of the engine/road vibration, as well as eliminating pressure points. Still use the Alaska Leather fur pad for air circulation and cooling, but have found that my back complains long before my butt. Previous max duration was an hour on the stock seat, at which point I was miserable. Now can empty the tank, and just need to get off to stretch. I suppose you could do it yourself, but it requires that you cut a pocket in the foam where the gel padding sits, and a thin foam over-layer. Had my old Airhead seat done the same way, with much the same result. So for half the cost of a custom seat, I had 2 seats redone.

· Premium Member
1,751 Posts
That's great idea Kieth. That hump does limit the amount of foam u can place there, especially if u are short legged (like me) and dont want to raise the overall seat height.

I would be careful to check the clearance immediately on top and near the battery from bottom of seat, especially if u have also cut the seat spacer blocks. I think it would be fine for stock non-abs Wee without a bunch of wires and fuse holders etc.... hanging around that area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.