StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I don't have enough post for the WTB section
After riding from Sudbury to Sturgen Falls and back (170 km's ) my butt is still sore the day after.
Sooooo, looking to buy a replacement seat for my 2010 650 DLA...let me know what you have

Thanks

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
It shows you have 20 posts. I believe it's only 10 needed or maybe that's for posting pics. Either way, go find some interesting topics and chime in. I'm sure you have something interesting to share.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Try a Beadrider first ....least expensive approach ..one rider on here did back to back 1000 mile days and a 14,000 mile trip to Alaska and back from Florida just by adding the Beadrider to the stock seat. Even on my expensive seats...the Beadrider still goes on ....least expensive option to start.

Start of a 3 week 10k km cross country ride...I took the Beadrider off the Terry Adcox seat for a couple of hours in Yellowstone on the way home....THAT was a mistake...left it on the rest of the way.

Doesn't work for everyone but hellishly less expensive than a custom seat. I needed the Terry Adcox to get the bike height lower....and the Adcox seat is a huge improvement over stock ...I can do a couple of 2 hour stints on it alone ....with the Beadrider added??? all day long.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Russell day long built and never used. Just installed to check fit on my 05 650.
Lovely seat but taller than the stock saddle.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had my seat lowered which I like in the city but when I go on longer trips I use a sheep skin, a sheep skin can be had for around 65.00

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Well if anyone knows of another used Corbin for sale in Ontario, please let me know, because mine is the same as the one linked in the Kijiji ad earlier and is totally coming apart at the seams. I like these seats for their comfort, but my kevlar pants are very abrasive:(

I have a sheepskin too that will fit nicely over the stock seat, but I gave away my stock seat and prefer the Corbin.

edit: found a used Corbin.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the beader add much to the seat height ?

I went to pick up the used Corbin seat however it did not fit, the seat was to long by about 1/4 " due to the Suzuki rack for the top bag, it wouldn't fit no way no how.

Drove 719kms (return trip) and sorry to say I found the stocknseat very uncomfortable after about 45 minutes, my wrists became sore after the 4 hr. mark, the pressure on the palms of my hands started to hurt as well and the constant whine of the motor at 65-70mph was very uncomfortable even with a 3/4 helmet.

Sorry to put such a negative spin on such a reportedly good all around motorcycle from everything I researched and what I have read here.
Thinking risers may solve the wrist and hand issue
ear plugs for the engine noise
and Beadrider for the seat

Any other positive suggestions welcome

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My sincere apologies to ALL WEE OWNERS for my inept research as far as engine noise
As stated in some my my newbie posts I was having intermittent stalling on down shifts and it turned out with the help of the forum that the wrong clutch lever had been installed by the previous owner, probably an honest mistake.
Graywolf was kind enough to provide my with the part number and info that, if the clutch lever was missing the tang the timing would be out by 4 degrees.
So new shift lever installed and my goodness it's like riding a completely different bike
First thing I noticed that when down shifting the rpm does not drop to about 7 or 8 hundred which causes a forward slide and wrist pressure, it's now at 1300+-
I took it out on the highway and it was 85% LESS NOISEY.....WOW who would have thought.
It is my belief that without the proper tang on the clutch lever the timing was always retarded by the 4 degrees causing terrible engine noise, engine stalling and poor performance not to mention the harm done inside....I hope not
Wish I could delete my complaining post....lol

Once again thanks A BUNCH I am a much more satisfied wee owner
Keep rubber side down !

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
maybe 1/4" as it embeds a bit into the seat and into you.

What is your inseam??

You've done no harm with the clutch issue - I had the same issue for a week until I sorted it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

I went to pick up the used Corbin seat however it did not fit, the seat was to long by about 1/4 " due to the Suzuki rack for the top bag, it wouldn't fit no way no how.

Drove 719kms (return trip) and sorry to say I found the stocknseat very uncomfortable after about 45 minutes, my wrists became sore after the 4 hr. mark, the pressure on the palms of my hands started to hurt as well and the constant whine of the motor at 65-70mph was very uncomfortable even with a 3/4 helmet.

Sorry to put such a negative spin on such a reportedly good all around motorcycle from everything I researched and what I have read here.
and Beadrider for the seat

Any other positive suggestions welcome
I bought the Corbin that did not fit your bike - so for that unfortunate spell for you, I thank you. It fit my bike because i have the Givi racks and actually had the exact same seat on my bike before, so I knew it would fit.

That said, the Suzuki gel seat is a cheaper and definite upgrade over the stock seat. Canadian Tire sells gel seat covers (I think they are for cars) that are easy to cut to fit our seats and act as an overlay like a beadrider or sheepskin. These are often on sale for $10.

While I have not used the beadrider, I have used a sheepskin cover, on top of the C.Tire gel pad, on top of the Suzuki gel seat, and that allowed me to do about 2 hours at a time. But in the end it was too much stuff, when all I needed was a good seat. With the Corbin I can easily do 1000km days many times in a row and not feel sore or stiff at all.

My suggestions would be to also look at other major brands of aftermarket seats like Sargeant, Russell Day Long or Rick Mayer seats to see if they are compatible with the Suzuki luggage setup.

For the wrist issue, for me it was as easy as putting on Pro Taper ATV bars, which are stronger than stock handlebars and have a different sweep/bend, which makes them much more comfortable. Also look into getting some sort of throttle lock device to alleviate the strain on the wrist over longer rides. Look into Crampbusters, Vista Cruise, Throttlemeisters, Kaoko locks, Go Cruise to name a few. For me, I use the Vista Cruise and it is a must for any long distance riding.

Lastly, I wear both a full face helmet and earplugs - makes a huge difference in reducing wind noise, overall fatigue and protection from the elements.

Happy Shopping!

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
I put risers on all my bikes ...helps positioning but you might be limited to 20mm unless you want to change the brake line.

I use cramp busters on both sides to keep my wrists straight but as a new rider I'd be careful on the throttle side.
GoCruise or some other throttle lock will help on highway runs so you can stretch. One reason I like the BeadRider is I can shift around easily.
I found the Corbin excellent but it locked me into a single position

'
absolutely

Get some KM on the bike ....I put 10k km on from Sept 15th to the end of season last year - it does take some farkling to a get a bike set for you.. It's only 4 hours to Pennsylvania after all >:)

A Madstad bracket will let you control engine noise and buffeting....#1 Farkle for the Wee IMNSHO :D

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the reply(s)
I am just amazed at the difference of the wee before and after the proper clutch lever has been installed, it's actually unbelievable enough said....

I think first I will get the risers as that will make a difference I'm sure, then if I find I require seat adjustments I will tend to that. Our season in Northern Ont. is coming to a close soon, so I will try recommendations from the forum.

I have what I believe is a Suzuki rack (?) on the back as a Suzuki trunk is installed, I guess it's slightly bigger that's why it didn't fit, glad you got it. I have Givi side panniers.

I have a 30" inseam

It's only 4 hours to Pennsylvania after all, ???? do you have something I may be interested in ?
Thanks for all the advice, safe travels

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Sorry - 4 hours from the GTA....
But then youhave Mighigan to roam and some good local roads.

·
Registered
166 Posts
5'7" and short in the inseam, and butt pain as well as wrist pain was a battle I too fought when I first got my VStrom.
I started with the seat. Went from stock to 1000gel, that was nice but too wide and tall. Then got I got Corbin, great position, lower and better perch for short in the in seam. But lower in seat meant longer reach, cure Up and Back risers no change in cables, perfect. So now with the use of a Cramp Buster and Break-Away throttle lock wrist and forearm pains are gone. Extending seat time has been achieved by adding seat beads to the Corbin, when a little numb bum sets in just a small adjustment on the seat and I am good for another hour or so.
The addition of the Madstad bracket has been by far though the best comfort farkle, I can minimize helmet buffeting, adjust for the wind I want in my face and get the protection from the elements when needed.

Making your bike yours is all part of the fun. And to extend your season fire on a set of these.

BikeMaster Hand Mitts - Motorcycle Superstore

1 - 20 of 30 Posts