StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been out for a first ride on my new bike on Monday I came back with mixed feelings about the seat. The texture of the seat does not allow for much moving around without actually getting off it and repositioning myself. The seat on my old '06 Vstrom was much more comfortable. It might just be a question of allowing it to break in. I am curious about what other seats you guys have had on your bikes and how you liked them as I am sure the aftermarket will be producing them soon enough. I had a corbin on a Yamaha FZ1 for a while and while it was an improvement on the stock seat it was always a bit hard, so I don't know if I would go down that road again. Opinions please...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sargent will have one out soon. If you want to get something to help you move around a little easier you could go with a Coleman ATV seat cover which are $20 at WalMart

·
Registered
175 Posts
My Vee2 has 4000 km on it so perhaps the seat is broken in. I find it super comfortable and easy to scoot back and forth, hanging off the bike.

It's so natural, it's like a tall sport bike. Scraped the foot pegs for the first time the other day - WICKED!

·
Registered
449 Posts
My Vee2 has 4000 km on it so perhaps the seat is broken in. I find it super comfortable and easy to scoot back and forth, hanging off the bike.

It's so natural, it's like a tall sport bike. Scraped the foot pegs for the first time the other day - WICKED!
I guess backsides are like finger prints because I find the seat way to hard.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
The seat is hard, but I find it more comfortable than my Wee for extended rides.
To each ass his own.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
209 Posts
The seat is hard, but I find it more comfortable than my Wee for extended rides.
To each ass his own.:mrgreen:
I feel it is softening up a touch and along with the suspension bedding in I find I can now flatfoot at least with one foot.

The seat texture was an issue, but having now got used to the idea of not needing to put the knee down I find the non-slip finish is not an issue either.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Seat & Pegs!

I'll second that emotion! Seat feels great for the most part. As long as I get off and stretch every hundred miles or so I'm ok. Also find it easy to switch positions and hang off just a little if needed during aggressive riding. Have about 3K miles on Woody now and just scraped ends off both feelers on the foot pegs. Kind of caught me by surprise but both times were in ascending tight turn where the road kind of came up to me. Don't think it would be that easy if the road and turn was completely flat. Agree too that this feels pretty sporty but with extended wheel base it is not as quick to lay down in turns. Once there though it is very stable and predictable.
Produces what we called an extreme grin factor for those willing to push the limits a little :mrgreen:

Later

FastLane

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sargent

I had a Sargent on my 07 DL1000 and absolutely loved it - never any hint of pain in the backside. Thew '14 seat is not as comfortable, but better than the stock 07 seat (for me anyway). Sargent has a sign-up on their site for early notification and special pricing on their new seat for the '14 model as soon as it is available. I signed up a few days ago and plan to buy one as soon as I get the notification.

Mike

·
Registered
167 Posts
I put a Bead Rider seat ( BeadRider – Beaded Motorcycle Seats ) on my wee and I love it. yeah it looks weird and feels a little slippery at first but that is easy to get used to. I just got back from a 4400+ ride with 1-700+, 2-600+ and 1-550 mile days and never had a problem with THAT part of my anatomy!:mrgreen: Edited to also say that the beadrider is on top of a Sargent seat, not the stock one. Does make a difference!

·
Registered
18 Posts
How would you compare the seat height on the '14 to the DL650. I know it is narrower, but is it about the same or taller yet?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had the Sargent and went with a custon for me Corbin. I love the new seat!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
How would you compare the seat height on the '14 to the DL650. I know it is narrower, but is it about the same or taller yet?
It's definitely lower. I could flat-foot it (barely) on my 09 wee but on this one, I even have a little bend in my knee.

BTW, I'm having issues with seat comfort as well. I don't want to spend big bucks on a custom seat and was wondering about pads. Has anyone tried the Airhawk? I'm curious as to how stable it is. More for extended cruising as opposed to riding the twisties.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thermarest makes a small self inflating cushion that costs something less than $30. It is just like their mattress, you can let air in or out, or blow it up more if you want. Then go buy a cheap toilet seat cover for a cover. This is the "Frugal" way to get an air seat. inflate to suit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thermarest makes a small self inflating cushion that costs something less than $30. It is just like their mattress, you can let air in or out, or blow it up more if you want. Then go buy a cheap toilet seat cover for a cover. This is the "Frugal" way to get an air seat. inflate to suit.
How about stability? I'm assuming the Thermarest is just a plain air bladder with no internal "bulkheads"?

·
Registered
167 Posts
FWIW I put a BeadRider on my Wee and absolutely love it! It is in the same price range, and although it looks weird it works. I lived in Hong Kong for several years and all those cab-drivers can't be wrong! ;-)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I feel it is softening up a touch and along with the suspension bedding in I find I can now flatfoot at least with one foot.

The seat texture was an issue, but having now got used to the idea of not needing to put the knee down I find the non-slip finish is not an issue either.
Doubled the miles since my last post, including a non-stop tank to tank ride and I really have nothing bad to say about the stock seat.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a BeadRider on my old (2003) Vee with a stock seat. I recently completed a 3400+ miles trip with between 550 and 630 miles each day and I had NO issues with my butt being sore! I did however install an Adventure Tech lowering kit for the pegs just before I left and I feel this small position change really helped with the seat comfort.

FWIW I put a BeadRider on my Wee and absolutely love it! It is in the same price range, and although it looks weird it works. I lived in Hong Kong for several years and all those cab-drivers can't be wrong! ;-)

·
Registered
50 Posts
The thermarest can get a little "squrmy", but getting just the right amount of air in it seems to provide cushion with minimum movement. It is cheap, try it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts