StromTrooper banner

Seat Lowering kit.

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  TexasShadow 
G
#1 ·
This post sort of started in the hellos page.

A few months ago I had the standard seat lowering kit fitted, at the time the mechanic only adjusted the front light down but didn't lower the forks. Yesterday 03/06/06 at my 4000mile service I had the forks dropped by 20mm to match the back. Its like having a new bike, I can corner later and quicker and there is no wandering out past the apex and no tendancy to snatch a little if it does wander. I'm yet to have my son on the back, to see if the front end still goes light at low speeds (he's put on height and weight since he hit eleven). I suspect that with the suspension wound up It will be fine as before he started to shoot up since December last year.

The moral is: if your 5"9" and you need the seat lowering kit, then insist on having the front dropped, I got fobbed of and have spent nine months loving the bike in straight lines and sweeping bends, and feeling awkward and unsteady round corners. And over the last three months in particular dreading having the boy on the back even with the rear suspesion wound up all the way.

#2 ·
It only makes sense

If you paid someone to install your lowering links on the rear they realy should have lowered the forks at the same time. If you don't, as you experianced, the handling goes to S&*%..I think you will love having your V cornering well again.. I lowered my forks a couple of days before I did my back end and it changes the handling a bunch. It has the effect of making the wheel base shorter which helps it corner like a fiend but the handling in the dirt gets a bit hairy..

#3 ·
Centerstand?

I lowered my new Whee last weekend with Kuoba links (1 1/8") in the rear and raised the forks 3/4". Haven't had a chance to take it out on the road yet (but have on the Back Five Acres). I still have to have the seat modified.

One difference I noticed: it is *much* harder to get the bike up on the kickstand. Anyone else have this issue after lowering?

#5 ·
Fearless Freep said:
Say Texas Shadow, after you lowered your bike, is your side stand too tall, or is it acceptable?
It is 'acceptable'. The bike stands more vertical than before, but when the front is locked, it cants enough to that side to keep it relatively stable. But not as stable as on the centerstand.
Which is now danged hard to get up on........ :(

#6 ·
Some time ago there was a post concerning the side stand holding the bike too upright. The fix was to dremel a little metal off the side stand stop to allow it to swing forward a bit more. Maybe the poster will explain the procedure more clearly for you.

#7 ·
water warrior said:
Some time ago there was a post concerning the side stand holding the bike too upright. The fix was to dremel a little metal off the side stand stop to allow it to swing forward a bit more. Maybe the poster will explain the procedure more clearly for you.
That would be helpful. The alternative is to alter the centerstand which I would like to resolve. Either shorten it, or add length to the foot lever on it.
Thanks.

#8 ·
I lowered my wee the same way: installing links and front fork raising.

As a result both the side and centre stand is useful but

1. for the centre stand: you need a bit more force to put the bike on it
2. for the side stand: when the parking place is not horizontal you need to play with the positioning of the bike to have the deeper part on the left side.

Here is a pic about how the bike looks standing on side stand after the lowering has made.

And here is one of the many thread on this theme.

#9 ·
mokusbajusz said:
I lowered my wee the same way: installing links and front fork raising.

As a result both the side and centre stand is useful but

1. for the centre stand: you need a bit more force to put the bike on it.
That's the problem: I'm short and very light (126 lb). I've lost any leverage advantage now and can't get it up on the centerstand.

With the gusts of Texas wind here, I am not comfortable at all with it on the sidestand now.
2. for the side stand: when the parking place is not horizontal you need to play with the positioning of the bike to have the deeper part on the left side.

Here is a pic about how the bike looks standing on side stand after the lowering has made.
Purty bike :)

#10 ·
mokusbajusz,

Your windshield is really clean! You can hardly see it in the picture! :wink:

TexasShadow,

Are you pushing down on the centerstand "pedal" as you lift the bike? I found that if I concentrated on lifting it was a chore, but if lift on the rear footpeg with my right hand as I step firmly on the centerstand, it pops right up. BTW, I have the OEM centerstand.

Tim

#11 ·
Bunker said:
TexasShadow,

Are you pushing down on the centerstand "pedal" as you lift the bike? I found that if I concentrated on lifting it was a chore, but if lift on the rear footpeg with my right hand as I step firmly on the centerstand, it pops right up. BTW, I have the OEM centerstand.
I am pushing down on the CS lever with my weight and the right foot. I even tried rocking it (almost almost lost it sideways).
I'll try lifting up on the rear peg (passenger peg?) simultaneously next time. Otherwise I use my right hand to guide the rear of the bike by holding onto the side of the luggage rack.

#13 ·
Bunker said:
mokusbajusz,

Your windshield is really clean! You can hardly see it in the picture! :wink:
kneedrachen said:
mokus? Bush steal your windscreen while he was visiting?
:D :D :D

BUllSHit!

Well seriously: at that time I played with different screen settings. That was the stealth one, the top secret Japo-Hungarian weapon. 8)

#14 ·
I had been riding with my front forks raised/lowered (whichever!) about 12mm. Then I decided to make some 3/4" lowering links for the rear...before spending money on some purdy ones. I did not like the handling after that. The front end felt too light and the bike started to do the little "weave thing" at moderate to higher speeds. At 5'6" 160 lbs, 30" inseam, I was hoping to get better footing. It changed from getting the tips of my toes on the ground to getting the ball of my foot on the ground. Still could not flat-foot. I put the stock links back in. I didn't think the trade-off was worth it. Because the front fork pre-load is backed way off, I could not raise the forks much more because the adjuster would hit the handlebars. Oh sure, then I could buy "up and back" and then, and then,....it never ends. I would have like more lean on the side stand, but the little mod to make it go forward more does nothing except make it less likely to roll off of it if the bike rolls forward (I put it in gear). It should be cut and re-welded...and you might as well add a much bigger FOOT to it. For the center stand problem, if it's only that you put it on the center stand while at home, just drive up on some 3/4" plywood to raise the rear end to make up for the lowering. Since you went more than 3/4" you may need a thicker board. Not something you want to carry with you!!

#15 ·
Columbo said:
I had been riding with my front forks raised/lowered (whichever!) about 12mm. Then I decided to make some 3/4" lowering links for the rear...before spending money on some purdy ones. I did not like the handling after that. The front end felt too light and the bike started to do the little "weave thing" at moderate to higher speeds.
Took Whee on it's inaugural road test last Sunday for ~200 miles. It was gusty that day and got it up to 80 mph. No wiggling or weaving. Did have an moment of 5 on the Holy Shit! Meter when a wind gust hit and a tractor trailer pass me at the same time. I 'felt' airborn momentarily :)

Ran it at 85 mph on the way home today and felt like I was on a galloping thoroughbred. It handles fine. However, after the seat is modified next week, I'm cranking up the pre-load a bit.

Otherwise, I'm in love..........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.