StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm short, the height of the seat is an important factor for me. I have the lower factory seat and lowering links. All is good when riding with a load, but I would prefer to sit lower and have the suspension higher.
I have had a suggestion that I could remould the seat using a hot air gun. I have a panel-beater who's willing to give it a go. I'm a bit concerned because of either damaging the seat beyond repair or rendering it unsafe - but only finding out in a critical situation.
Has anyone got any experience of doing this or any ideas?

Doug

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I have not done a Strom but I have done a few dirt bikes.

Pull the staples out at the front end of the seat, by only doing the one end the cover will go back on straight, peel the cover back then shape the foam rubber with a 4" grinder, the foam is firm enough for the grinder to easily shape it, then pull the cover back up, keep a firm grip and staple it down.

It is hard work with a manual stapler but it can be done, a electric or air powered is the way to go and working on a hot day will also help things stretch.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I've "shaped" foam truck seats using an electric knife, works a treat. Even a big kitchen knife works.
I wouldn't use heat

·
Registered
451 Posts
I shaped my seat foam and put in a gel pad using a carpet utility knife and an electric carving knife. Took half a day. A harbor freight type staple gun is the way to go.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, but …

Thanks v-chops, but I'm not looking to reshape the foam. I'm looking to remould the plastic frame (apparently called "the seat pan"). I've already had it lowered as far as the foam will allow.

I am looking to see if anyone has attacked the seat pan with a heat gun to reshape it downwards, not necessarily make it wider, but still retain clearance for undersea componentry and retain sufficient mechanical strength to be able to carry a rider's weight under all conditions.

Doug

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Thanks v-chops, but I'm not looking to reshape the foam. I'm looking to remould the plastic frame (apparently called "the seat pan"). I've already had it lowered as far as the foam will allow.

I am looking to see if anyone has attacked the seat pan with a heat gun to reshape it downwards, not necessarily make it wider, but still retain clearance for undersea componentry and retain sufficient mechanical strength to be able to carry a rider's weight under all conditions.

Doug
There isn't much clearance there now. Put some soft foam or plasticine under the seat in the relevant areas, go for a ride, come back and check the clearance. Just as a hint, unless you really enjoy walking you don't want to be bouncing on the battery.

Pete

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I've read somewhere in these pages that someone took to the seat base with a hole saw to lower it :yikes:

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
I have done a fair bit seat mod : foam shaping and shaving as well as plastic pan shaping and trimming with hot gun. I will try posting a few pics later ( they are not very good pics though) do not use hot gun on foams.

You want to lower the seat as well as making it a bit narrower where it counts.

Before you do that, try cutting seat bottom rubber on half and rear latching plate/ block rubber by 5 to 10mm.

Take off the seat cover and remove the foam to observe how the seat Pan flares out where your legs goes when putting your feet down to support the bike.

What's your inseam?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Duck's disease

I have done a fair bit seat mod : foam shaping and shaving as well as plastic pan shaping and trimming with hot gun. I will try posting a few pics later ( they are not very good pics though) do not use hot gun on foams.

You want to lower the seat as well as making it a bit narrower where it counts.

Before you do that, try cutting seat bottom rubber on half and rear latching plate/ block rubber by 5 to 10mm.

Take off the seat cover and remove the foam to observe how the seat Pan flares out where your legs goes when putting your feet down to support the bike.

What's your inseam?
About 29" - I am about 165 cm tall (or should that be short?).

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
our inseam are about the same notwithstanding i am 10cm taller.

this website talks a lot about foam shaping and is a good source:
Modify Seat

it doesnt really talk about seat pan shaping which is what you need to do - it will not make you touch that much more of ground - but a narrower leg stand assist you in holding up the bike or moving about with the legs....

are you going to the annual meet in may - much easier to show you in person.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Busy unfortunately

our inseam are about the same notwithstanding i am 10cm taller.

this website talks a lot about foam shaping and is a good source:
Modify Seat

it doesnt really talk about seat pan shaping which is what you need to do - it will not make you touch that much more of ground - but a narrower leg stand assist you in holding up the bike or moving about with the legs....

are you going to the annual meet in may - much easier to show you in person.
I won't be there - May is when I'll be riding Melbourne - Cairns - Alice Springs - Perth - Melbourne.

Doug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts