Strom Trooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2014 Vstrom 650 with a Sargent seat. I’m new to motorcycling and only have about a 31” inseam; so right now seat height is important. Is there a way to tell whether a Sargent seat is the regular or low? Is the factory low seat any good? I’ve thought about buying the OEM low seat and giving it a try and keep the Sargent for when I get more experienced and it would be just fine. Comments? Anybody got a good used OEM low seat for sale? 😜

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sargent seats are awesome! I don't know if they come in a low.
You may be able to remove the rubber bumpers from bottom of seat and gain 1/2"
Also check out AdventureTech (on this forum) lowering links. Inexpensive, good quality and he provides really good info on the links.

·
Registered
634 Posts
IMHO - I would try to connect with other V Strom riders in your area. You may be able to find someone with a lower seat willing to let you try it out to see if it would works for you.

Another Option: You could purchase a used stock seat and have an upholstery shop modify it for you.

Seats are so PERSONALIZED because peoples 'backside' are so personalized and unique!!!

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! I’ve done the AdventureTech 5/8” lowering links, dropped the front about 13mm, and added a Happy Trails center stand. I guess I’m wondering if the OEM seat might also be narrower. I’m coming off bicycles for over 25 years, so I’m not used to such a wide seat. It is comfy once going. Being new, and this being a pretty big compared to a 24lb XC racing mtb, is a pretty big change! 😜. I probably just need to continue riding for experience and I think the flat foot want will prob diminish as I get more experience.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I’ve done the AdventureTech 5/8” lowering links, dropped the front about 13mm, and added a Happy Trails center stand. I guess I’m wondering if the OEM seat might also be narrower. I’m coming off bicycles for over 25 years, so I’m not used to such a wide seat. It is comfy once going. Being new, and this being a pretty big compared to a 24lb XC racing mtb, is a pretty big change! 😜. I probably just need to continue riding for experience and I think the flat foot want will prob diminish as I get more experience.
The stock seat is pretty wide compared to my other motorcycles. Part of the reason the VStrom is so comfortable is that it is set up more like a lazy boy than a motorcycle. The Sargent seats I have seen in the past are pretty square on the sides. If you provide your location, someone might have a stock seat you could try out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
When you put your feet down, can you get the balls of your feet solid on the ground?

Experiment with putting one foot flat and the other just on the toes, that can be plenty stable. You'll get used it after a bit.

Scoot up towards the tank when you come to a stop, it's narrower up there.

Also try putting your feet down in front of the pegs when you're stopped, not outside them.

Maybe wind the rear shock preload down a bit?

I'm about your size and have a regular Sargent seat on my 2014 which I have no problems with. As I recall the stock seat was a little wider in front, making the reach longer than with the Sargent.

that's all I got.................shu

·
Registered
81 Posts
We had 2 (and 3 briefly) 650 with stock seat, 650 with Sargent and 1st gen 1000 with the taller stock seat.
5'2" wife thought that the Sargent was just a little harder to reach ground on the 650. She never even tried the taller seat.

I like the Richland Rick (AdventureTech) lowering links (I have the 150mm for max lowering withot tire rub). Also have their footpeg lowering kit which relaxes the knee.

I am only 5'5" and this is good setup for me. Still not flat footed but OK.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I lowered mine as I am a short arse, used the lowering links they were easy to install and I feel a lot more comfortable on the bike now. Handles better I feel too with not being so high.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts