StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the Suzuki gel seat is in the noon summer sun, is there more of a heat problem than non-gel seats? If I leave my bike/seat in the sun, should I not consider the gel seat (since I don't want to sit on hot liquid)?

I've read a post that suggest the gel seat creates more of heat problem than a regular seat. In sort of makes sense that it would because it would seem like sitting on a pad of hot boiling water heated by solar energy (like a solar hot water tank). However, if the gel is insulated, there won't be any solar energy collection, minimal heat conductivity, and the heat problem won't be any worse than a non-gel seat.

Thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
56 Posts
If there is, it doesn't work well. I learned early on to cover the seat with my jacket when I stop in the sun. Once it gets hot, it doesn't cool down very easily.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I park mine in the sun all day at work, uncovered, it does get like a hot plate. I picked up a sheepskin pad on ebay for $25, together they work great. It insulates it from the sun and adds a little more "cushion". I hated the stock seat, it was like sitting on a lumpy balled up towel after a half hour or so. The seat on my wife's 650 is even worse. The Suziki gel seat is enough of an improvement for me, with a sheepskin pad, I can ride all day. I had a Russel Day Long on my last bike, and although it was the best seat I've ever seen or sat on, the gel was a $200 solution, putting a Day Long on this bike would cost three times as much, for that money, I'm happy with the gel, and the sheepskin.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I know I will be parking in the sun for any period of time ( ie: work parking lot ), I throw a small white terry towel over the seat, and another over the guage cluster to prevent melting the jewels ... or the speedo. If you slip it in between the tank and seat first, it pretty much stays in place.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a gel seat on my ducati and not only would it heat up a lot, but it would stay hot forever. I devised a sun cover made from an emergency mylar blanket, cut to size and outfitted with an elastic string around it (sort of like a shower cap) - it would fold down smaller than a matchbox when not in use and it worked wonders.
Kris

·
Registered
164 Posts
+1 on the emergency mylar blankets. I compared my seat, which was comfortable to the touch, to one of my co-workers who'd parked beside me and the difference was incredible!

mikeg

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
Your location says "Western WA, USA". The sun never comes out here...you know that. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
sheepskin + gel seat

I park mine in the sun all day at work, uncovered, it does get like a hot plate. I picked up a sheepskin pad on ebay for $25, together they work great. It insulates it from the sun and adds a little more "cushion". I hated the stock seat, it was like sitting on a lumpy balled up towel after a half hour or so. The seat on my wife's 650 is even worse. The Suziki gel seat is enough of an improvement for me, with a sheepskin pad, I can ride all day. I had a Russel Day Long on my last bike, and although it was the best seat I've ever seen or sat on, the gel was a $200 solution, putting a Day Long on this bike would cost three times as much, for that money, I'm happy with the gel, and the sheepskin.
This is great info for me I've kinda been holding off buying one for a while, but I think I'll bite the bullet soon. any suggestions for sheepskin?

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Perhaps something to be concerned with adding a sheepskin cover is when a rain clouds comes along and soaks your seat.

Quite the conundrum: sore, or hot, or $$$, or wet cover, or some other type of cover to mess with and lose or store.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Perhaps something to be concerned with adding a sheepskin cover is when a rain clouds comes along and soaks your seat.
Mine got soaked once. I wrung it out and strapped it to the Givi trunk and went on down the road. By the next leg stretching break, it was dry enough to put back on the saddle. Now if it looks like a downpour in imminent, I'll toss it in the Givi or tankbag until the storm passes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When my gel seat sits out in 100 degree F full sun heat all day, it does not get hot. It turns to molten lava that physically cooks my arse and is still hot when I get home from my 82 mile commute. I have scored an inside slip of space behind a car this summer, otherwise a cover of some kind is literally mandatory around here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I split a large Priority Mail Tyvek envelope along its seam and tuck that around on top of the seat when I have to leave it in the sun for a while. Pretty ghetto, but it's actually worked ok so far, and folds up small. I'll probably shell out for one of these covers eventually.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
"This is great info for me I've kinda been holding off buying one for a while, but I think I'll bite the bullet soon. any suggestions for sheepskin?"

Lots of choices, I've heard good things about the alaska pad, I just happened to find one on ebay that fit. The gel seat is firmer, and flatter, gives me more room to move around a bit, and doesn't have that bunched up rags underneath me feeling like the stock seat did. If it's raining and wet, I usually have my riding pants on anyway, so the wet sheepskin is not a problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it's raining and wet, I usually have my riding pants on anyway, so the wet sheepskin is not a problem.
My concern isn't when it is raining, it is when it has rained. If I have a soggy sheepskin cover and the skies are blue...I ain't wearing my riding pants, so the soggy sheepskin cover has to go.

The coveralls might be a good idea to protect the whole bike + seat.

I'm going to have to search out some other alternatives. Not satisfied with the stored heat in the gel, don't want to spend $500 for a seat, and don't want to be messing around attaching more things to my bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts