StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I'm new to this forum and thinking about switching my ride from a Yamaha FZ6R to a Wee. I understand the 2012 comes with a low and high seat option in addition to the standard. My question is, does anyone know how they achieve the different seat heights? Is it done by shaving or adding additional foam, or is the padding the same in all the seats and there is some adjustment made in the construction of the seat support to make it higher or lower? Stock height is manageable for me but is at my limit, and one of my criteria is a comfortable long ride seat, so if padding is removed to make it lower I don't think that would be q great option for me. Thanks folks . . and HI again.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
For me, the standard is far more comfortable than the tall. The seat pans are the same, so it must be the foam. I dunno about the low seat.

Of interest. I can easily flatfoot the bike with both standard and tall seats despite my 32" inseam and the advertised seat height of 32.9 inches. (Boots are part of this, seat shape is the other part. The seats have a narrow nose.)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yes the lower seat has less foam, and is less comfortable. I tried one and returned it the day after (was refund less 15% fee). I am 5'6'', 6000km now with the stock seat and very happy with it.
I had a KLR before so the height is not really a problem for me.
If i would be 5 or 6" taller i would consider the tall seat.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Same pan, same rubber bumpers where seat pan contacts frame. The difference is in the height of the foam, AFAICT.

Seat height on this bike shouldn't be a deal-breaker, in my opinion. As stated, the shape of the seat, the suspension, boots, etc. - all play a part in how it will sit for you.

Also, it's commonly reported that people lower the bike because it feels too high for them, only to end up raising it back up once they become comfortable with the bike.

Lowering links are option, too. Get the bike you want, then make it fit you.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Also, it's commonly reported that people lower the bike because it feels too high for them, only to end up raising it back up once they become comfortable with the bike.
I haven't heard of anyone lowering the 2012. I had to lower the '07 and '05 by a half inch.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone lowering the 2012. I had to lower the '07 and '05 by a half inch.
I lowered mine 19mm at each end. Backing up was too hard on my knees and I did not need the extra ground clearance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Another option to look into is an aftermarket seat. I am not sure how tall any of them are compared to the stock (or other dealer) seats, but there are other threads talking about different seats.

It sounds like the most popular are the Russell Day-long and the Corbin seats. I am still riding the stock seat, but looking into the aftermarket world. I also know that Saddlemen will have their adventure track seat out within a month, which I will likely end up with...and it will probably be the heated version.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I lowered mine 19mm at each end. Backing up was too hard on my knees and I did not need the extra ground clearance.
With the bike lowered 19mm at both ends (lowering links and forks raised I presume?) does the stock side stand still work properly. How about the centre stand if you have one?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The stock side stand on mine works fine. It had a severe lean in stock trim. I have an SW-Motech center stand that also works fine. I don't go off road though. It's a little harder to get on the centerstand but I'm 67 and have no trouble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The stock side stand on mine works fine. It had a severe lean in stock trim. I have an SW-Motech center stand that also works fine. I don't go off road though. It's a little harder to get on the centerstand but I'm 67 and have no trouble.
Perfect, thanks greywolf . . . btw, I'm 65 so appreciate the input from another rider in the same age range.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have extensive experience (over 5000kms) alternating between the stock and low seats - and still haven't quite made up my mind yet.

I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam, and can ride the stock bike fine, but my commute has unavoidable stop and go traffic as well as parking that requires reversing, so to get the height down for convenience I lowered the bike 3/4" like GW, and then purchased the low seat to gain another 3/4" inch for riding in town.

The low seat does use the same pan and bumpers, and gets its profile from thinner padding, although to compensate it feels like it uses slightly higher density and/or firmer foam. This is a key point. On my first few test rides the saddle did not feel immediately comfy like the stocker.

But when I took the bike out for >300 mile rides with the standard seat, my butt, shoulders, and upper back started getting a bit sore, so I tried the low seat for my next all day ride. To my surprise, although not as plush at the beginning, it solved the fatigue problems. My belief is that the more compact riding position coupled with the firmer foam makes the difference for my size and weight. The lower position also works better with the stock windscreen and bar position for me.

The negative is that my legs now feel slightly cramped with the reduced seat to peg dimension.

On my next long ride I'm going to try my new Alaska sheepskin on the low seat and see how it goes. For sure the buttpad + the standard seat would feel too tall for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shorty and not liking it on my Wee-Strom.

Yes the lower seat has less foam, and is less comfortable. I tried one and returned it the day after (was refund less 15% fee). I am 5'6'', 6000km now with the stock seat and very happy with it.
I had a KLR before so the height is not really a problem for me.
If i would be 5 or 6" taller i would consider the tall seat.
I'm also 5'6" and not very comfortable with tip-toeing during start/stop from full-stop posture. Getting frustrated :headbang: and seriously thinking about lowering-kit and lower seat (albeit with comfortable foam; don't care if I have to pay premium price for a good seat). Any suggestion about what brand seat to get?

·
Registered
833 Posts
The key during start/stop is left foot flat down (even with 30 inseam) and right foot on the peg. This is how we are asked to do when we pass test for our driver license, here in the Quebec. They want us to have right foot on brake while stopped.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The key during start/stop is left foot flat down (even with 30 inseam) and right foot on the peg. This is how we are asked to do when we pass test for our driver license, here in the Quebec. They want us to have right foot on brake while stopped.
Thats how I was taught here in the UK. I'm lucky I can get both feet flat.
My beef with the seat is the way it throw my weight forward to crush my nuts against the tank.

·
Registered
47 Posts
short legs

I have a 29 inch inseam so I had to lower my 2012 with lowering links. There is three positions on the ones I bought. I started out on the lowest, 2 inches. I have since moved it to the middle position. I did not like the loss of ground clearence, especially after I put on a Happy Trails skid plate. I also could not reach the Happy Trails highway pegs that attach to the skid plate. Had to trade them for the ones that clamp to the crash bars.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I also had my bike lowered 3/4". I have gone back and forth between the standard and lower seat, and overall, I found that the lower seat WAS more comfortable on longer tours, mind you after 1.5 hrs for me, my butt hurts with either seat. I may still order a Corbin in the winter time so that it will be ready for spring, no sense getting one now however, with an 8 week wait, the season here will be almost over :(.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm one of the few that need the tall seat option, I had on on my Vee, and the new "Glee" tall seat is better (IMO) . No gel to store heat and cook your butt. Keep in mind I have 38" inseams and would like to go even a little higher up if it wouldn't look to funky. Cheers--BB

1 - 19 of 19 Posts