Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hidey ho my fellow cycling enthusiasts. After perusing various seat threads on this forum I decided to take the plunge on the Seat Concepts seat kit. For this one you just order the setup which amounts to new foam, a little bit of plastic sheeting (for waterproofing) and the new cover. You do not need to send your entire seat in nor the pan. Lead time is about two weeks. Customer service is very good. if I remember you have two choices - regular and high (double check on that) and a couple or three cover material choices. Price is right around $290.

The cover and foam quality are nice - seems to be about the same as OEM. The seat is a little wider, a little flatter and seems to be a tiny bit lower. The extra width of the seat seems to offset the lower height since when you come to a stop your legs are spread out a tiny bit more.

Seat shape looks the same as OEM even though it is a little different. It's not different enough to LOOK different as far as shape is concerned. The cover is a two material setup which does look a little nicer than the stock plain Jane one. Just my opinion.

It took me about two and a half hours to do but then again I installed a seat heater as well - that took a little extra time. Heavy duty stapler does NOT get the staples all the way in, I had to tap them in with a hammer to finish them off. Even then, some bent sideways but the cover is on good and no one sees the bottom of the seat.

I'm a painter of 33 years and have hung thousands of rolls of wallpaper - I say this because for the life of me I couldn't get all the wrinkles out. I did manage to get them down to two "matching" ones right about where the front of my thighs would be. They are minor, but I'm not crazy about them. Also, the heater which mounts on top of the foam but under the cover does telegraph through a little. I can't complain about that, I figured it might.

Comfort - the seat does minimize that hump in the middle of the stock seat that puts pressure on that all important "middle area" since it's noticeably flatter. Even thought the foam seems to be the same stiffness as stock it does seem even more firm - not a great thing. It might be that it's a little lower as I mentioned, therefore probably less padding.. I did not try it out with a passenger. One other thing I'm not crazy about is there is a horizontal seam where the front material meets the main material and it seems to be noticeable to "the boys". Again, not great. One thing it DOES do for ME personally is get me right into the sweet spot of airflow behind my Madstad windshield. Before, I had to hunch over a little to get the top of my helmet out of the last little bit of turbulence but on this trip I was thinking, "boy the ride seems quiet". I stuck my head up a little and there was the wind noise I had before. So as far as that's concerned it's a very good point - at least for me.

Summary: Good quality, price, looks and customer service. Would I call it a "day long" seat? Nope. If you want a little improvement for 300 bucks then I say get it. If you're looking for a really good seat perhaps it would be a good idea to keep saving your dough and go for one of the higher end seats. I hope this helps.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Great review, Thanks for posting. I hav e a Russell Sport seat and like it, but also have a stock seat to experiment with.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Your heat pad likely adds to the firmness since it reduces flex at the surface. Have you tried heating the wrinkles to get them smoothed out? Usually works for me.

I ordered my Seat Concepts seat a couple weeks ago, standard height. No email yet that it's been shipped. Since I'm only 161 lbs they're supposedly using a lighter foam for me. And I have a thick gel pad that I plan on dropping in before installing the cover. Hopefully soon I'll have a review to post.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your heat pad likely adds to the firmness since it reduces flex at the surface. Have you tried heating the wrinkles to get them smoothed out? Usually works for me.

I ordered my Seat Concepts seat a couple weeks ago, standard height. No email yet that it's been shipped. Since I'm only 161 lbs they're supposedly using a lighter foam for me. And I have a thick gel pad that I plan on dropping in before installing the cover. Hopefully soon I'll have a review to post.
Good points.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Heavy duty stapler does NOT get the staples all the way in, I had to tap them in with a hammer to finish them off. Even then, some bent sideways but the
Thanks for the writeup!

Did you use a manual stapler or pneumatic? Been thinking about updating my seat as well.

Post pics if you got em!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, yes they do recommend a pneumatic stapler - that is no fault of theirs that I used a manual ("heavy duty") stapler. I wasn't surprised when they didn't go all the way in. Funny thing is I do have a pneumatic stapler but didn't have the right staples on hand and I FINALLY had some time to do this so I made do with what I had. The staples are holding fine, if they do let loose then some time in the future I do it right - hahahaha.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm on Seat Concepts now as well. No relief unfortunately. Thinking Sargent...
I'm going the opposite direction. I just disappointedly returned the Sargent. I've owned many of their seats before and have been very pleased in the past, but they've changed their foam formula. It now includes a memory foam-type layer under the surface and it did not suit me at all. It road very hard on my 161-pound bony rear and I didn't reduce the hot spots like I'd expect a memory foam-like layer to do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
$24.50 for a pair of undies??? I'm still wearing some from the 70's. Maybe when they wear out.....

Good info on the on the Seat Concepts option. I am on a stock '07 seat that has developed a separation on the seam through the middle. So looking for options. The twins do roll over and go to sleep on anything over 200 miles, so a change is needed bad.

The Russell Day Long seems to have the best support on this site, but, as you can tell from my first sentence, I am cheap.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a Seat Concepts on both my '12 Glee & '98 DR350. I've been able to pull off 11 hr days on the DL & 6 hrs on the DR & I've found the SC seats quite comfortable.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well, my Seat Concepts for my '17 finally arrived. I like how wide and flat it sits and I'm very impresses with how easily it all went together. I decided to drop in a gel pad for extra comfort. I'll report back soon on how it rides, but for now here was the install process.

1. Carve out well for gel pad.
  2. Clean foam of all dusty debris, spray down entire seat with spray adhesive, insert gel pad, spray top of gel pad with spray adhesive
  3. Apply sheet of smoothing foam. Trim off edges.
  4. Apply rain barrier. Spray down with silicone so seat cover will slide over easily.
  5. Install cover with stainless staples. Trim off excess rain barrier.
Piece of cake!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also tried Bead-Rider, and Moto Skiveez. Maybe 2 hours. Thinking that I need to adjust handlebars for better ergo seating position. Or Russell...

·
Registered
182 Posts
2200 miles over 6 days. ‘14 stock seat and occasionally used air hawk pad. Also cheap new underwear
. Seamless fruit of loom tight fitting boxer length style. Not a bad combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Well, my Seat Concepts for my '17 finally arrived. I like how wide and flat it sits and I'm very impresses with how easily it all went together. I decided to drop in a gel pad for extra comfort. I'll report back soon on how it rides, but for now here was the install process.

1. Carve out well for gel pad.
  2. Clean foam of all dusty debris, spray down entire seat with spray adhesive, insert gel pad, spray top of gel pad with spray adhesive
  3. Apply sheet of smoothing foam. Trim off edges.
  4. Apply rain barrier. Spray down with silicone so seat cover will slide over easily.
  5. Install cover with stainless staples. Trim off excess rain barrier.
Piece of cake!

Nice work with the Gel insert?. Are you still using the Russell Sport?

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Yes. I have both seats now. The Russell works but I was curious about the Seat Concepts and I've had this gel pad sitting around for a long time.
Looking forward to the comparison and observations.

·
Registered
469 Posts
So I just rode my new Seat Concepts seat with gel insert over 360 miles in the last two days.

Have to say it treated me well. No butt soreness at all at the end of each day. My only complaint is that it does sit slightly lower than the stock seat. There's less foam thickness under you, but the flat area you sit on is wider. This puts me in more of a squatting position with slightly more knee bend. I don't think this lower height helps much with leg-to-ground reach due to the seat width. I wish it put a quarter inch or more foam under me, but I still like it. They do sell a tall version, but it looks drastically taller. Too tall for me.

How would it ride without my added gel insert? Not sure.

P.S. I really like the material on the top section. It's stretchy and has some grip, but not too grabby. This is the "Low Slip" version. And, I installed a peg lowering kit to compensate for the lower seating position. It helped a lot. My butt now sits more flush on the seat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts