StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride with ear plugs (Home Depot, 20db), but I like to listen to music when I ride. My audio setup includes an ampli-rider that can really push out some power. With the wind and plugs, I have to crank the volume to hear the audio. I've tried the $20 HelmetAudio style speakers and they blow...as in blow out with the volume maxed. There are other more expensive helment speakers, but are they strong enough? http://www.bikeintercom.com/products/x1.htm

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Like you I tried the "el Cheapo" helmet speakers and pretty much came to the same conclusion. I finally dug a set of old but decent sounding Sony (Pre-China assembly) headphones. After removing all of the "mount on your head" plastic crapola I did a minor amount of soldering to get the correct 3.5 Audio female lead connected and installed the bare speakers in my helmet. About an hours worth of time invested in the disassembly (of the headset) and the install and I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use some custom made in-ear headphones that were made from molds of my ear. They block noise and the headphones inside of them are the same make as the ones musicians use as stage monitors. I can roll at a much lower volume, saving what little is left of my hearing. I got them at the int'l motorcycle show a few years ago. At 300ish bucks, they were pricey, but worth it. The price has come down a bit now... http://www.earinc.com/p2-iplugz.php

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used speakers in 3 different helmets...HJC, Nolan, & Scorpion. The trick to wearing ear plugs at the same time is to get the speaker right on the ear canal and the full-face Scorpion is giving me grief. Right now I'm fighting with a set of stripped down Sony headphone speakers. Ear plugs are cheap enough, maybe I can modify a set that works to let more sound in. Hmmm...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm happy with my Etymotics ER6i ear buds, along with the Amplirider....hooked up to my Garmin 2730! XM radio, almost ZERO wind noise at highway speed, and I can still hear traffic.

Super sound quality!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Ok so since I'm like, a musician, and I play every night with in-ear monitors, I think I can comment with a pretty decent amount of experience on this! ;)

IMO - you are going to have volume and/or blown speaker issues if you double up with earplugs, then speakers. It's like wearing a wetsuit so you can take a scalding hot shower. Essentially, you're blocking over 50% of the sound coming to your ears, then cranking up the speakers to hear them over the plugs. You need a lot of power, and usually, higher wattage speakers than what is going to fit properly inside a helmet.

I use M-Audio IE-10 In Ear monitors - both for stage and riding. They are earphones that fit up into your canal, and have a bunch of interchageable tips, from expanding foam (what I use) to silicon flanged tips. I find that the expanding foam ones act as earplugs for the helmet by sealing my ear canal, and I can keep the volume on the music reasonable since I'm filtering out the wind noise/roar.

The best part is, they are only $100 at Guitar Center or online.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-IE-10-InEar-Studio-Headphones-?sku=600077

These things rock - comfy, they stay in your ears and the interchangeable tips/sleeves allow you to fit the plug into your ear without having custom molds made. And they sound GREAT. You can plug them right into an amp or directly into an MP3/Sat radio unit and get enough power to hear them well.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!! I know I tried about 5 different systems before I settled on these.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm starting to notice there are two types of inner-ear speakers. The problem I had with the Etymotics was the tubes would collapse when I moved my jaw a certain way...basically, they only worked if I held my mouth open. That's why I was trying to get ear plugs + speakers to work. The M-Audio is different and looks like a little ball that doesn't go into the ear canal. That might work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Monkeygrass,

Those look great! I'm gonna order 'em up and give Momma the ER6i's. Have you compared sound quality to the Etymotic/Shure products? The replaceable wires are quite the concept, as they frequently get pulled/tugged on.

Did you order yet Bobo?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
They are identical in driver setup/specs and quality to the Shure E2's.

I use them every night - my music and my income depend on them. After going thru everything from Sennheiser studio cans, to Sony hi-quality buds, to Shure and Westone in-ears, I've found these to be the best I've ever used. I'm sure a $400 set of Shure E5's would sound better, but the price point/features and quality of these are unmatched, IMO.

And yes, the replaceable lead wires are CRUCIAL. Most earbuds go bad when the wire that goes into the earpiece bends/snaps and they are garbage. Not these!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Shure E2's sounded "ok", but weren't very comfortable to me. The Shure E5's offered STUNNING sound quality, but also hurt my ears. I didn't have the Amplirider when I used the Shure's.

My current ER6's offer sound quality somewhere between the two, and are vastly more comfortable. I use the fattest yellow foam sleeves.

I'm gonna order up those that you suggested.

They are identical in driver setup/specs and quality to the Shure E2's.

I use them every night - my music and my income depend on them. After going thru everything from Sennheiser studio cans, to Sony hi-quality buds, to Shure and Westone in-ears, I've found these to be the best I've ever used. I'm sure a $400 set of Shure E5's would sound better, but the price point/features and quality of these are unmatched, IMO.

And yes, the replaceable lead wires are CRUCIAL. Most earbuds go bad when the wire that goes into the earpiece bends/snaps and they are garbage. Not these!!!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I should mention that when I listen to the M-Audio's as in-ear monitors, they are running thru a top end Allen & Heath mix console, a dedicated EQ, and then a BBE sonic maximizer before the signal hits the phones. The way the signal is processed has a huge impact on the final result. They don't sound quite as great with my MP3 player, but with a little EQ adjustment, and considering that it's inside a motorcycle helmet (not exactly a studio control room as far as a listening environment!) - they do a very acceptable job. On the bike, comfort and fit are crucial underneath the helmet. You could spend $500 on E5's and probably not hear THAT much of a difference b/c of the environment.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I've tried the $20 HelmetAudio style speakers and they blow...as in blow out with the volume maxed.
Helmet speakers are always going to be disappointing for music listening.

Isolating earphones are the only way to go for good quality sound, no matter the cheapest to the most expensive custom-molded designs.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I imagine they will sound pretty darn good running with the Amplirider, which boosts output by 25dB.

If they're anywhere near as good as my ER6i's, I'll be happy, otherwise my wife can use 'em....she won't notice the difference!

I should mention that when I listen to the M-Audio's as in-ear monitors, they are running thru a top end Allen & Heath mix console, a dedicated EQ, and then a BBE sonic maximizer before the signal hits the phones. The way the signal is processed has a huge impact on the final result. They don't sound quite as great with my MP3 player, but with a little EQ adjustment, and considering that it's inside a motorcycle helmet (not exactly a studio control room as far as a listening environment!) - they do a very acceptable job. On the bike, comfort and fit are crucial underneath the helmet. You could spend $500 on E5's and probably not hear THAT much of a difference b/c of the environment.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
M-Audio first impressions

I used the M-Audio this morning and they work great. The small round attachments fit inside my ear comfortably and block out distracting wind noise...but not important sounds like sirens, horns, and screeching tires. With a full-face helmet, it's a little tricky. I had to reverse the ear buds (left to right) to make them fit closer inside my ear. Even reversed, it's a little uncomfortable putting the helmet on, so if the ear buds can hold up to the constant wrangling, they will be worth the money. Once the helmet is on, they're comfortable. With the extra foam and helmet speakers removed, I don't have any more squished ears.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
*update*

These ear buds are rough with a full-face helmet, but I might have found a solution. When I put them in according to the directions, it was tough putting on the helmet without knocking them loose. But, when I put them in *upside down* the helment goes on smoothe and the buds stay in place.

I was surprised to find that the wires leading into the ear buds are coupled, so it should break away before it rips out any wires. That's a big plus considering the cost.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
When I was at the Long Beach motorcycle show, they had a few people doing custom molded ear plugs with buds built into the plugs. Anyone with experance with these? I also have no clue on who would do that around here. Who would you look up for that?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I went the Jabra route... They really start to hurt/irritate my ears after about 45 minutes... YMMV, but they were too stiff for me.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts